DVDVR Message Board

2017 US INDY/INDIE DISCUSSION THREAD

To be more positive about that Tier-1 show now that I've showered and slept:

- Sonny Kiss is a first rate babyface if I've ever seen one

- Donavan Dijak was kinda hilarious

- every wrestler who went flying off those ropes, especially Flip Gordon with his double jump plancha, is much braver than I will ever be

Oh hey, thanks @RIPPA. I'm actually super nervous about everyone seeing this match tomorrow. I haven't had a serious match since 2013, but I'll give the kid credit for 99% carrying my old fat ass to a passable match. Hope everyone likes it!

Also, full credit for producing that video goes to John Philapavage. He's the same guy who made the excellent Trevor Lee/Brad Attitude retrospective.

• Like 1

So apparently Onita is going to be coming over to do a no ropes barbed wire explosion match vs Matt Tremont on the August 5th CZW show in Vorhesse at the Flyers Skate Zone. This is so big there will actually be a bus from N.Y. for the show. I'm just hoping all my friends from the glory days of the bus trips I haven't seen in so long are able to come.

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Road report expected! 

Also, so much for that Onita "retirement" already... or that did that not "happen" yet?

He is doing a retirement tour

I feel like we talked about this somewhere already. God I am so old

He "real" retirement match is on Halloween

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

He is doing a retirement tour

I feel like we talked about this somewhere already. God I am so old

He "real" retirement match is on Halloween

Halloween is the perfect ending date for Onita.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Road report expected! 

Also, so much for that Onita "retirement" already... or that did that not "happen" yet?

I just want this to be one of those CZW shows that ends at like 1:30 in the morning so by the time we get back to N.Y. the trains back up here from Grand Central are running.

I am glad that people are excited and I am planning on going as well but there is no way in hell I am buying a ticket until about 2 weeks until the show.  Hell it wouldn't surprise me if he cancels as I am driving up to Jersey for the show.  

Never mind the fact they are planning on doing an explosion match at the Flyers Skate Zone where on the other side of the building kids are playing on the ice.   Granted CZW has had a horrible experience with explosions but apparently Onita is bringing his people to help out.   Luckily the match probably won't start until midnight

7 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Speaking of Onita, what is the story behind the Onita-Sandman match in ECW that never happened? Did Onita ever appear in ECW?

He wrestled in a six-man tag, teaming with Dreamer and Sandman against the Dudleys.  Turned on his partners at match end and beat them down.  This was supposedly going to kick off an angle with Sandman that would lead to some sort of deathmatch, but nothing ever came of it.  Allegedly, the idea died because no one would give them permission to hold the deathmatch.  

Onita supposedly wanted badly to wrestle a deathmatch in the US.  They tried again in XPW with an angle to set up an Onita-Sabu feud, but nothing more came of it.  I don't think Onita made the press conference, so he probably never made an actual appearance in XPW.  Honestly, the only thing I remember about the angle is being surprised that someone let Rob Black into a real Marriott hotel (where the presser was held, it wasn't a set).

On 6/15/2017 at 1:32 PM, sabremike said:

So apparently Onita is going to be coming over to do a no ropes barbed wire explosion match vs Matt Tremont on the August 5th CZW show in Vorhesse at the Flyers Skate Zone. This is so big there will actually be a bus from N.Y. for the show. I'm just hoping all my friends from the glory days of the bus trips I haven't seen in so long are able to come.

I don't really know Matt, but our wives are good friends and I know this has been his dream match for a long time. I'm really happy he was able to make it happen before  Onita retired. 

I watched the Lee vs Daniels match. Crossposting comments from earlier in the month on PWO:

I caught Daniels/Lee on the Saturday Night episode. I think it was quite well worked earlier on to play into the parody theme with the over the top stalling, etc. and because of that, it's remarkable that they shifted gears just enough (while not REALLY leaving the theme until the very end) to really get Daniels over as a commodity. At the end of the day, that's going to be the most important thing. As with most Lee matches I've seen, there were a lot of smart call backs and bits of foreshadowing all based around his usual moves and inclinations, which is all appreciated. There were two clear bits of heat and I thought the transition out of the first was hugely unique (I've never seen an Octopus as a transition spot and it worked really well). Likewise, the transition to comeback in the second, being Lee basically hulking up worked really well, fit the match and the theme, and frankly, the promotion. Lots of really good stuff.

The last five minutes were downright horrific though. I mean that in a literal sense. It was the pro wrestling equivalent of a Tales from the Crypt story. There was a moment where everything changed. I could feel it coming too. After Lee got cut off after his second comeback, there was one lone woman in the crowd clapping to trying to get him going again (and he's very good at playing into that in a way most babyfaces in 2017 aren't), but no one else was clapping along at a point of the match where it should have been the most organic thing and should have really carried him up into a last comeback and the finish, whatever reversal driven thing it might be. Instead, they went right into this ridiculous strike exchange, the sort where one strike builds the momentum to flip the wrestler around so he can hit his spin kick or whatever, and that knocks a guy against the rope so he can hit his big boot and no one sells any of it for a minute or so. And then, as they brought this twisted bit of ridiculous Japan-inspired rigmarole into a perfectly enjoyable southern-style indy, the crowd, as if stricken by a profane curse started chanting "This is Awesome!" It was a fucking "Indian, surrounded by trash, cries a tear" moment. They spent another four minutes or so trading bombs until the match ended with a belabored STF set up.  

Also posted in 2017 Internet Matches thread, but this card's loaded with folks that have been talked about in here:

I think I read that they're setting up a tipping service, as in you can pledge money to specific wrestlers while the show airs. 

I want to say I've seen some RPG Vice matches where they have the majority of the offense and use enough double team moves to where they don't have time to nap...but I doubt I could point to a specific one on YT or Daily.

What did the audience do to deserve that long of a bad heel manager promo prior to Scorpio Sky vs. Jeff Cobb's last minute replacement? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

Yeah, that was awful. I was tempted to turn the show off.

Did you stick around for the mixed tag match? 

Looks like you can take the Adam Cole out of the Bullet Club, but you can't take the superkick out of Adam Cole. 

Hey, I can mention ROH related things during a Wrestle Circus show. The WC commentator sure does.