DVDVR Message Board

2017 US INDY/INDIE DISCUSSION THREAD

9 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Probably not a shocker at this point, but Big Mike Elgin and Trevor Lee had a kickass match last night.

Was it filmed for a future youtube broadcast?

4 hours ago, zev said:

Was it filmed for a future youtube broadcast?

It was. Will air both on Gimmick Tree's show, as well as CWF Worldwide on 7/5(also airing Nick Richards/Tommy Dreamer vs Dawsons on that broadcast)

• Like 1

Got my tickets for Defy4 on 6/29 and Defy5 on 6/30. I live in Oregon but come up to the Seattle area every 4th of July so just making some plans to get up there early to catch these shows. Looking forward to it, heard a lot of good things about the first 3 shows.

So I'm at the MCW show which should be a good time. Lot of Impact wrestlers, Jeff Cobb and for good measure Steven Richards. I look at those selling their merch and who do I see?

EDIT: And they just had Lio vs Cobb which was fantastic.

2 hours ago, Phil Schneider said:

That is a great line up, but it feels like a flipped card would be even better. Riddle v. Ki and Homicide v. Penta seem like more natural matchups

yeah, those are definitely more natural, but I think the weirdness is why I'm especially excited. There's a higher potential for the matches to be complete messes, of course, but I think there's also upside.

• Like 1

Sooooo, Riddle fell ill and didn't make Tier 1 tonight. Got JT Dunn vs. Homicide instead, which was totally fine but that was approaching our 5th hour of sitting in an incredibly hot room so it was kinda hard to stay pumped by that point. Low-Ki/Penta was still pretty fun through all the sweat; though, I'd never seen either of them live, and Ki especially is just a motherfucker of a wrestler.

3 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

He likes to smoke weed.  Dunno why everyone is dancing around it.  He's a pothead.  It's not exactly a secret.  It's why he's not in the UFC anymore.

So it's an Evan Bourne tribute gimmick?

8 hours ago, maciej said:

Sooooo, Riddle fell ill and didn't make Tier 1 tonight. 

Is Riddle slowly trying to stop getting booked across the country?

Canceled a ton of dates with AIW in Cleveland earlier in the year. Double booked himself with PWG and HOH. Missed this Saturday due to 'illness' (In New Orleans, totally fine, for a wedding on Friday). PWG announced he wouldn't be appeared at their June 16 show as well. 

He is double booked in July too between WWN and the Rev Pro July 8 match against Ishii

WWN - which gets the rights to his dates first - released him from their show so he can work Ishii

But yeah Riddle's MO is just to accept all dates and then let everyone else figure it out and basically figures he won't get any blowback

So CHIKARA had a show on Saturday, and Quack announced a surprise show on Father's Day, featuring an eight-man technicians tournament in tribute to Johnny Kidd (it's even called the Johnny Kidd Invitational), and they announced ZSJ/Quack and Riddle/Hallowicked as first-round matches, as well as the last active World of Sport wrestler being in the tournament.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Quack is wrestling again?

He returned last year for a couple matches (in Chikara, of course).  He's wrestled at least one match this year (vs. Sabre Jr. about two months ago).  He didn't wrestle at all (afaik) for about three years.

4 hours ago, echris1015 said:

Is Riddle slowly trying to stop getting booked across the country?

Canceled a ton of dates with AIW in Cleveland earlier in the year. Double booked himself with PWG and HOH. Missed this Saturday due to 'illness' (In New Orleans, totally fine, for a wedding on Friday). PWG announced he wouldn't be appeared at their June 16 show as well. 

It could just be side effects from his tribute act. Five Star Frog Splashes tend to mess with your memory and decision making skills.

11 hours ago, zev said:

So it's an Evan Bourne tribute gimmick?

Well I thought Evan Bourne had more of an issue than just weed.  Although I think weed is what got him into trouble in Japan 

Riddle really needs to settle down because he is starting to get the Low Ki 2001 - 2003 reputation of being a great talent that is unpredictable at best. Eventually he is only going to get booked in WWN shows

In brighter news, the new NOVA Pro show in July features Chet Sterling vs Logan Easton Laroux in a ladder match for the Ultra J title, Sonjay Dutt vs Matt Cross, and the return of Joey Janela (hopefully not against Jon Kermon)