DVDVR Message Board

2017 US INDY/INDIE DISCUSSION THREAD

I know CHIKARA isn't generally this board's thing (or at least it doesn't seem to be in my brief experience), but I went down to Philly for the show last weekend (well, for the show, and to visit friends, and to eat and drink a lot of things) and man oh man was that a good time. It's not that I don't love the crowds at Evolve shows up here in NYC, I do, but it was just very pleasant and fun to be at a show without any drunk dudes trying to get themselves over and with the crowd being encouraged to participate, but then participating in a way that made everyone feel welcome. The wrestling was fun too, with a happy Infinity Gauntlet and a really fun title match between Juan Francisco de Coronado and Oleg the Usurper. They had a good sneaky, technical heel vs. big, dumb face match that had an ending that was both insanely silly and totally made sense in CHIKARA logic.

• Like 3

Oh, actually, while I'm in this thread, Tier 1 in Brooklyn is running Matt Riddle vs. Homicide in June (or at least I think they are; it's still in the Facebook event description but I can't seem to find that specific match announcement on Twitter anymore). Also, Low-Ki, Penta, and Jordynne Grace/Lufisto. I haven't been to one of their shows ever, but it seems worth the trip down to Sunset Park.

On 5/13/2017 at 4:29 PM, maciej said:

I know CHIKARA isn't generally this board's thing (or at least it doesn't seem to be in my brief experience).

?

We don't like CHIKARA?  i didn't think you'd find more Quackenbush marks or lovers of The Osiran Portal or whatnot per capita in any other place on the internets?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

?

We don't like CHIKARA?  i didn't think you'd find more Quackenbush marks or lovers of The Osiran Portal or whatnot per capita in any other place on the internets?

The break the barrier show will have a match between Ophidian and TAFKA Amasis.

• Like 1

The Chikara love seemed to fade away after the year-long shutdown and the 95 page manual to understand what was going on. There's still people around here who watch the shows, but discussion is very low.

Edit: I searched and found the 2014 thread where people were coming up with dream KOT teams and names. It was tremendous!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, J.T. said:

?

All Hail Nazmaldun?

@maciej Think they're doing away with all the Ants this season?

Bullet Proof Wrestling/WrestleMerica have closed for "Legal Reasons"

Bullet Proof was the promotion being done by Joey Mercury and Doc Gallows

They are still going to be running their Dojo as normal

Cody Rhodes also had some input on the Bullet Proof shows, as far so know there BP brand  just started and ran only like 2-3 shows before they closed. 

According to this Georgia news sure, the closing stems from an incident backstage at a WM show last year that they thought was settled

I am surprised they had one show run let alone three.  While it's not blatantly ripping off Bullet Club there was enough where it's no surprise somebody would take issue with it.

Sad night at NOVA Pro as Beau Crockett turned on his partner Innocent Isiah and destroyed Cutie and Beast after existing for basically the entire existence of the company.  He joined the Carnies helping them win in a street fight

Really fun show.   I would recommend watching Fred Yehi vs Jonathan Gresham because I believe it was the best match in the company's history.  Maybe I am enjoyed it too much.   Also thought Chip Day vs Tim Donst & Jordyn Grace vs Angelus Layne was great matches.   Jimmy Rave vs Sonjay Dutt had a really weird ending that makes you think someone went into business for themselves

DEFY wrestling really wants to get my money. 

May 26th: John Morrison vs Shane Strickland (also on the card Taya, Moose, Lio Rush, Joey Ryan, Davey Richards)

June 29th Cody Rhodes vs Pentagon Dark

June 30th ReDragon vs Lucha Bros (Pentagon/Fenix)

• Like 1

I'm going to the DEFY show on Friday haven't bought my June tickets yet but I plan on going. The June 29th show is a Thursday and Defys debut in Tacoma at the Temple Theater which is a closer drive for me then Washington Hall up in Seattle so I'll be going to the 29th show in all likelyhood.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I'm going to the DEFY show on Friday haven't bought my June tickets yet but I plan on going. The June 29th show is a Thursday and Defys debut in Tacoma at the Temple Theater which is a closer drive for me then Washington Hall up in Seattle so I'll be going to the 29th show in all likelyhood.

I can say this with all honesty: DEFY is booking matches that I would want to see as a wrestling fan.  Mike Santiago vs. Moose is intriguing and I don't just say that because Santiago's one of my best friends in the biz. :)

There's also Project 42 in the Seattle area, but DEFY is running more regularly.  But definitely check out P42 - I believe the next show is August 5th.  I'll be there, but don't let that stop you.