DVDVR Message Board

2017 US INDY/INDIE DISCUSSION THREAD

4 hours ago, Justin877 said:

Ever since I went to Wrestlecade last November, I have wanted to get back into the NC Indy scene.  I live in Roanoke, VA which isn't too terribly far away.  Which ones should I try to make it to?

CWF Mid-Atlantic (duh) and they are only two hours from you.

AML is also about the same distance (they are closer to Winston-Salem than Greensboro but you are still talking less than 3 hours). That is where you get Damien Wayne

4 hours ago, Web Conn said:

To the CWF guys on the board, do you think one Ivan Koloffs matches with CWF will be put up on their YouTube page?

Since I handle all the "classic" stuff, it will likely be awhile before it is. All of the pre-2006 footage is on tape only, and I currently don't have that stack of tapes because we put the priority on 2006-2012 stuff for now. The Koloff stuff will eventually go up, but I couldn't get you a firm timeframe.

Also @Justin877 I will obviously echo RIPPA, you need to come down and see us. I guarantee you'll have a good time. The big tag tournament we are doing on 3/24-3/25 would be a perfect time.  Also, if you didn't already know, we have a free Youtube show that we upload every Wednesday at 9pm EST.

Went ahead and bought a ticket to the Joey Janela midnight show on Thursday Mania weekend. Initial plan had been to drive into Orlando on Friday morning, and had been increasingly swayed by the ridiculousness of some of the Janela announcements so far, but the new announcements of Lio Rush vs Keith Lee put it over the top for me. 

I plan on exploring the city most of the weekend doing touristy stuff, but this looked like too much fun to not go.

Because I'm old and Photoshop scares me, posters for my show were usually...simplistic?

Spoiler

14711316_1296571573710681_25879129083032

13680958_1212084985492674_27391631731701

But when my computer crashed, one of the crew offered to make some...and now they're all pretty and shit:

Spoiler

15941188_1388386747862496_46837374081016

16649101_1421301417904362_91910085602845

...and now everyone says how much they like them so much more. It hurts, but hey...the posters are getting done, right?

1 hour ago, zev said:

I take it that Reach for the Sky will feature a ladder match and/or the Briscoes.

Ladder Match. It's our MITB knockoff...but with a medallion instead of a briefcase because the ceiling is mostly plaster and you can't really hang anything off it. WRESTLING!

I only just realized a week ago that ROH has been doing a "Reach For The Sky" tour, so we'll probably change the name next year.

19 hours ago, zev said:

The phrase is used as it's the current theme music of the Briscoes and opening line of the tune.

Perhaps your ladder match predates usage of this particular track.

I am one of those promoters that often names shows after songs. I chose it based on Social Distortion's "Reach For The Sky"

• Like 4

16 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Change it to "Reach For The Pie," and hang a Hostess Fruit Pie from the ceiling.  If I've learned anything from decades of reading comic books from the 70s and 80s, it's that everyone loves Hostess Fruit Pies.  

On Ep. 13 of "Killing The Town," Cyrus talks about how he hated that indies would dare to have $10,000 Battle Royales so when he hosted a Winnipeg bar show, the winner of the Battle Royale got a 12-pack of beer one month...and an entire rump roast the next.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Change it to "Reach For The Pie," and hang a Hostess Fruit Pie from the ceiling.  If I've learned anything from decades of reading comic books from the 70s and 80s, it's that everyone loves Hostess Fruit Pies.  

If they ever bring back King of the Hill, Bobby winning this match would make for a great episode.

• Like 1