DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXX

Dolfan in NYC

Very interesting Rumble this year as there's no clear winner and a lot of directions they can go. 

The Matches -

For a Title Shot at Wrestlemania XXXIII - The Royal Rumble

(Entered so far - Bill Goldberg, Brock Lesnar, Chris Jericho, Big E, Xavier Woods, Kofi Kingston, Braun Strowman, 23 to come) ed. - Thanks, Phil!

For the WWE Universal Championship, Chris Jericho suspended above the ring in a shark cage - Kevin Owens (c) vs. Roman Reigns (US Champion)

For the WWE World Championship - AJ Styles (c) vs. John Cena

For the WWE Raw Women's Championship - Charlotte (c) vs. Bayley

--

If we do not get James Ellsworth trying to eliminate Brock AND Goldberg at the same time, this show will be an abject failure. 

I really, really, really think the big money match is Cena winning #16 at WrestleMania. I'm hoping that AJ Styles wins again. The build for this has been extremely short too. I love Cena coming back and being like, "I'm calling my title shot because I'm John fucking Cena," but I'd love to see Cena lose this one and then either put his career on the line or have to win a #1 contenders match to get a shot at WrestleMania. I'm far more interested in Cena vs AJ Styles at WrestleMania than Cena vs Undertaker.

I feel the same about Charlotte and Bayley. No way should Bayley win the title here. The build is far too abrupt and it would mean so much more for Bayley to win it all at WrestleMania.

I don't know what to think about KO vs Roman. It's really annoying to watch KO constantly lose to Roman and this whole idea of ANOTHER coronation for Roman is beyond rote. I want Roman vs Braun beating the crap out of each other for the US title and not Roman defending the Universal title.

As for the Royal Rumble, man, it's a tough one to call this year. My fingers are still crossed that Finn Balor makes the John Cena-esque surprise return, but it doesn't sound like he's far enough along in his recovery to do that. And of the top guys (not The Revival), I just can't see Roman, Rollins, Ambrose, Cena, Brock, Goldberg, Undertaker, or even Braun winning it. If WWE is so convinced that WrestleMania is sold more on the name than the match at the top, then it's possible the door could be wide open for a surprising Royal Rumble win. Again, to me, Finn makes the most sense IF he's healthy, but if you do Cena vs AJ Styles as the big match and KO somehow holds the title until WrestleMania, I could see a situation where creative rolls the dice with Sami, Joe, or Nakamura.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

(Entered so far - Bill Goldberg, Brock Lesnar, Chris Jericho, Big E, Xavier Woods, Kofi Kingston, Braun Strowman, 24 to come)

30-7=23

So it's obvious Goldberg and Brock eliminate each other in the rumble. I suspect Jericho wins, but it's hard to call.

..and will any 205ers be in the rumble? Tajiri should be a surprise entrant and Metalik should debut in the rumble.

Also, it would be nice to see RVD or Tommy Dreamer as a surprise. Booker T would be the best surprise.Bobby Roode would be awesome too.

KO retaining (even with help from Braun) and Jericho winning the Rumble feels like the obvious route to take. The Jeri-KO feud doesn't work as well without a belt, and Roman/Braun for the US title is the perfect match for both of them at Mania. A double-elim with Brock and Goldberg would be predictable, but acceptable. I'd go with Brock getting a cheap elimination, then let someone else get a big rub for eliminating Brock later. Maybe even have Braun toss Brock before Roman comes back for his revenge. I'd say it's pretty close to a lock that Joe and Tye will debut in the Rumble.

For SD, a double turn match with Cena winning, then AJ chasing him down at Mania would be really inspired, but since I expect them to get cold feet about Cena acting too heelish as usual, I'll be happy with AJ just winning. Cena/Taker doesn't need a title to be a big deal, and it opens an important spot on the card for someone else to get a rub.

On the women's side, Bayley winning and a Sasha turn within the next month is probably the only way to salvage the booking mess they've left. Set up another triple threat for Mania, or even a 4-way with Nia or Emma. Dragging out Charlotte/Bayley for 3 months completely telegraphed would be brutal, and leaving Sasha out in the cold at Mania would be an absolute disgrace with how much she's done for WWE women's wrestling the past two years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt788 said:

Also, it would be nice to see RVD or Tommy Dreamer as a surprise. Booker T would be the best surprise.Bobby Roode would be awesome too.

Don't you mean to say Roode would be GLORIOUS?

45 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Roode debuting in the Rumble, and then starting a feud with the person who drew the number behind him for ruining his entrance would be outstanding.

I believe the word you're searching for is GLORIOUS.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Don't you mean to say Roode would be GLORIOUS?

I believe the word you're searching for is GLORIOUS.

I intentionally tried to avoid using GLORIOUS, since we all know anything he does will end up being GLORIOUS!

Yep, more than happy with Goldberg/Lesnar double elimination, Jericho wins by default scenario. 

More I think about it, Goldberg/Lesnar both winning it has far more merit in the sense that it can put Reigns over and provides much more direction for the rest of the year and they can still do Owens/Jericho anyway.

I think Owens/Jericho would be great for the title however I never love the idea of the title feud being 4th or 5th down on the card and that's how it would be treated. 

I'd also like to see AJ vs. Cena at WrestleMania or AJ vs. Taker for the title at Mania but that's unlikely.

Sasha vs. Bayley is most likely NOT happening at WrestleMania. I cannot see them leaving Charlotte out of the title picture. It'd be the right thing to do to leave her out but they won't.

I'm hoping they go ahead with a Cena/Taker program (hopefully not involving the title) for Mania as it puts two guys I don't care about with eachother rather than taking up time from someone I want to see.  Since EC is a Smackdown PPV it seems like a Raw wrestler is a lock to win.  It's possible they could have AJ beat Cena at the Rumble, perhaps by shenanigans, and then Cena wins the EC to get a rematch at Mania that he wins.  I really hope they don't go with that, but it's something they'd do.  There's always a chance that Cena could win the belt at the Rumble and then have AJ win the EC to be the one chasing the belt going into Mania.

I like that the Rumble winner isn't clear this year and just hope that the Brock/Goldberg business takes place somewhere towards the middle as to not drag down the end.  I'd like to see them try giving Russev or Big E the nod but get the feeling the ship has sailed on either of them.  Samoa Joe debuting and winning is still my hope but I'd much rather see him on Smackdown.

Jericho will be hung above the ring in a shark cage (during a title match) and then go on to compete (and possibly win) in the rumble. That's nerves of steel. What else can he do, beat the ascension on the pre-show?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sasha vs. Bayley is most likely NOT happening at WrestleMania. I cannot see them leaving Charlotte out of the title picture. It'd be the right thing to do to leave her out but they won't.

Meltzer said on the radio show last night that the plan right now is Bayley finally winning the belt at Mania

Of course - he also said that most of the plans (all but the couple set in stone - HHH/Rollins, Goldberg/Brock and Shaq/Show) have been scraped and they doing other things