DVDVR Message Board

Raw is At Least You Tried - 1/2/2017

Dolfan in NYC

So, basically everyone is in the Rumble. The champ gets treated like an afterthought as they tease Roman-Goldberg to what sounded like an eh, response. 

Braun obliterated Sami. And Nia takes her first singles loss.  

Yay, 2017.  At least Penn State lost.  

(EDIT -- Credit to @Josh Mann for the title)

I haven't watched RAW in last 2 or 3 weeks but man.   I figure that Jinder Mahal believes in reincarnation but unfortunately in a former life he was Test.  not fooling anyone with that body :lol:

While the guy with the sign for a head was funny, a true Kevin Owens show involves a Kane mask and cruisers in shorts giving us DJ Hyde and Zandig stories

Yeah it is funny they have spent months and months making Braun a monster but not so much a monster that he can't be treated like shit for the guys they have spent years and years making a monster

When the show began with yet another Foley segment followed by yet another Stephanie McMahon interruption I said holy fuck why do I even bother anymore. But the Rose Bowl was a great watch, I flipped back and forth. 

I did enjoy the Braun and Sami stuff very much. I think they are handling that perfectly, very entertaining.

Nothing feels exciting though. The Goldberg teases with Roman and Braun were cool but that's it.  Even this Bayley and Charlotte match we've already seen it many times on RAW.

Once you get past the first hour, the rest of the show was pretty enjoyable IMO. Sami/Braun was fun.  The Roman/Goldberg tease was done well, though Owens was the 5th most important person in that 5-person segment. I even thought Titus messing with the New Day worked.

I had no issue with Braun getting double-speared.  It took two guys, and Reigns/Goldberg at that.  It's going to lead Braun probably going after Roman soon, so it's fine.  It's better than what they do with Nia.  They keep finding ways to make her look stupid/bad.

They kept Rollins corralled to the first hour, so yay for that.  He doesn't bother me as much as he once did.  But I don't need to see much of him until HHH comes back.

Made the New Day look like total afterthoughts too. Appreciate why the main segment did what it did in referring to the 1/2/3rd guys to enter the Rumble, but a reflection on not having the New Day announcement at all then.

Hoping I'm right that Braun costs Reigns at the Rumble, Jericho wins the Rumble, and Taker wins at Elimination Chamber. Jericho was 51/1 to win the Rumble six months ago. That'll pay for my trip to Mania.

@RolandTHTGThat does make sense.  Reigns can pin Goldberg, which means Lesnar still doesn't get that win.  And it can lead to Reigns/Lesnar II at SummerSlam. Gotta figure out a way to work Balor back into the mix, that's the major thread that has to be tied.

Just figure out a way for Reigns to drop the US title after he's been double champ for a couple of weeks, and build the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royale where the winner takes that belt.  Strowman takes it.

Have Zayn cost Reigns the title to Strowman by accident, trying to prove himself as a top dog. A brief Reigns/Zayn program over a few weeks to justify Goldberg/Lesnar not being in attendance for TV, and maybe a Lesnar/Strowman master/apprentice thing along the way. Strowman/Zayn for the US title (maybe Zayn's career) would be kinda fun.

Boy that cruiser division is dead, eh?  Cedric Alexander went from being super-over in the tournament, to super-over in his debut, to Alicia's Fox's dumb boyfriend that the crowd couldn't care less about.  And it somehow had MORE heat than TJ Perkins-Brian Kendrick.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Gotta figure out a way to work Balor back into the mix, that's the major thread that has to be tied.

Simple have Stephanie say Balor is not getting a shot right away because after the Daniel Bryan debacle, she wants to make sure the Balor is healthy before she lets him in the title picture, then he slowly picks up wins, Steph says she's not convinced he's ready, eventually wins a #1 contenders match heading into SummerSlam where he can win the belt he never lost (also in this fantasy booking, I'd run Brock/Reigns as the main for MITB to get it out of the way)

Another scenario I thought of is the fact that Stephanie McMahon is probably a fan of Finn Balor. This would depend on the writing staff but you could have Steph's chosen one be Finn Balor, Mick Foley's is Roman Reigns and Triple H's is Kevin Owens and the "people's" chosen one of Seth Rollins. Then you just run some combo of those four for most of 2017.

Rollins/KO - 11:48

Anderson/Cesaro - 10:50

Braun/Sami - 15:45

Woods/O'Neal - 3:50

Gulak/Cedric - 2:27

Reigns/Jericho - 12:57

Perkins/Kendrick - 2:39

Rusev/Jinder vs Cass - 1:46

Bayley/Nia - 3:20

So just over a hour of matches with the caveat that I don't know how much of that was lost to commercial breaks (Oh and a quarter of it being devoted to one match)

9 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

It's better than what they do with Nia.  They keep finding ways to make her look stupid/bad.

That was painful. They could have at least gone with a countout loss as Nia chased Sasha backstage or something. 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I watched like 30 minutes and gave up so I have a question

Did Steph actually say to Bayley "I didn't want to draft you anyway!"?

Yes, they're going back to Bayley's underdog/everywoman roots.