DVDVR Message Board

2017 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

I mean I would have no problem if they took about 10 seconds to acknowledge it was his final show (it would also be kinda poignant since it was the big end of the year/NYE event). They could have also done a 2 to 2 1/2 minute video package dating back to his first UFC broadcast. They can spare 3 minutes even if he was not that good of an announcer.

On the other hand, the new regime has no loyalty to him. Wheelock didn't get a sendoff when he got fired. So I am not surprised this happened.

24 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I mean I would have no problem if they took about 10 seconds to acknowledge it was his final show (it would also be kinda poignant since it was the big end of the year/NYE event). They could have also done a 2 to 2 1/2 minute video package dating back to his first UFC broadcast. They can spare 3 minutes even if he was not that good of an announcer.

On the other hand, the new regime has no loyalty to him. Wheelock didn't get a sendoff when he got fired. So I am not surprised this happened.

I would have had no problem if they did some sort of acknowledgement, but giving him a live microphone after essentially firing him is an honor that most people would not receive.  The vast majority of times, no one gets that opportunity.  He could have said any damn thing, there was nothing stopping him, but they trusted him enough to let him go out there and do it one more time.  They didn't have to let him do that, and he's professional enough to go out there and do his job like it was just another day.  Not everyone needs a ceremony, sometimes all you need to do is the opportunity to go out and do the job you love one final time. 

He was there for 20 fucking years, was 1000% class the entire time, rejected an offer from Vince McMahon to no-show a PPV and was completely upfront and honest about that, and he rarely missed a show. There's plenty of examples of mainstay announcers who left their position and were at least giving the minimum effort for a send off. Regardless of ownership, it's shitty to do that to such a long time employee who has been nothing but loyal. And to say that they trusted him to go out and do one more announcing job after releasing him is a form of showing him that sort of respect is bullshit. "Oh, hey, we're letting you go, but please announce this one last show because we don't have anyone else lined up to fill your spot. Thanks." It's just cold. That isn't a send off, that's using someone because you know that their level of integrity and professionalism isn't going to allow them to turn down such an offer. He was a company guy to the very end even when he wasn't employed by the company. That's not a respectable send off. As to the other point about how he could say whatever during the broadcast, do you honestly think that they wouldn't cut his mic within seconds and then subsequently bury the guy?

Finally, you're right about not everyone needing a ceremony. Mike Goldberg for the UFC, whether you liked him or not, was not just anybody.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Craig H said:

As to the other point about how he could say whatever during the broadcast, do you honestly think that they wouldn't cut his mic within seconds and then subsequently bury the guy?

If they didn't cut his mic after screwing up 25 times per broadcast, they wouldn't cut it then either.

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

He was there for 20 fucking years, was 1000% class the entire time, rejected an offer from Vince McMahon to no-show a PPV and was completely upfront and honest about that, and he rarely missed a show. There's plenty of examples of mainstay announcers who left their position and were at least giving the minimum effort for a send off. Regardless of ownership, it's shitty to do that to such a long time employee who has been nothing but loyal. And to say that they trusted him to go out and do one more announcing job after releasing him is a form of showing him that sort of respect is bullshit. "Oh, hey, we're letting you go, but please announce this one last show because we don't have anyone else lined up to fill your spot. Thanks." It's just cold. That isn't a send off, that's using someone because you know that their level of integrity and professionalism isn't going to allow them to turn down such an offer. He was a company guy to the very end even when he wasn't employed by the company. That's not a respectable send off. As to the other point about how he could say whatever during the broadcast, do you honestly think that they wouldn't cut his mic within seconds and then subsequently bury the guy?

Finally, you're right about not everyone needing a ceremony. Mike Goldberg for the UFC, whether you liked him or not, was not just anybody.

I'm not arguing against them doing a send off.  I would have loved for them to give him a send off, but that isn't what they decided to do.  My point is that Mike Goldberg, who we spent a lot of time making fun of for being a bit of a goof, was someone who worked at the UFC for a long ass time.  He wasn't some sort of legendary voice, he was just the guy who was there.  They could have brought in Jon Anik and quietly let Goldberg go, but they didn't they announced his final event and then let him do it.  That is not how these things generally work.  He was allowed to go out one more time, when that is a luxury not provided to most broadcasters.  It isn't great, but it ain't nothing.

I mean a point could be made about why Snacks Geller, who passed away, got way more of a sendoff/tribute and was just about as much of a mascot for the company BTS as Goldie was in front of the camera. If the standard from now on is dying from cancer, then it's going to be a tough row to hoe as far building a relationship between the new owners and the staff/on air personnel. Then again, if you're installing the people you want, that's not something you have to worry about.

Looks like Al Iaquinta resolved his contract dispute. I'm guessing he will be on the Buffalo card.

Also, the UFC is going to Missouri for the first time ever and holding a card in KC on 4/15 at the Sprint Center. The rumor is that Tom Duquesnoy might make his UFC debut on the card.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Zach Makovsky and Ali Bagautinov have finished their current contracts and are off the UFC roster.

Since it looks like WSOF is dead, I'm guessing Bagautinov is either RIZIN or EFN bound.

Makovsky would be a good pickup for Titan FC.

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Or maybe Makovsky will try his luck in Bellator again now that Scott Coker is in charge.

If Makovsky did something really notable in the UFC, I think they would like to have him for those Mohegan/Tri-State cards. But I mean I can only remember Dodson having a bad performance against him and scoring that fight for Makovsky. Otherwise, he would just be a guy moving back up to 135 to fill their otherwise barren bantamweight division.

Update on the WSOF situation:

They're having a card on 3/18 with three title fights HOWEVER....

Timur Valiev vs. Bekbulat Magomedov is for the vacant BW title so that means Moraes is gone.

David Branch has an announcement Monday and it looks like he might be returning to the UFC.

With Fitch heading towards retirement, this means WSOF would have lost their Bantamweight, Welterweight, Middleweight, and Light Heavyweight champions.

Justin Gaethje hasn't made his decision yet so it could be five champions.

3 hours ago, twiztor said:

damn!
a dire financial situation, a shake-up in management and/or ownership, plus losing damn near all of your top talent is one hell of a way to start the year.

Sounds like maybe also Lucha Underground in the coming months as well.

On 1/28/2017 at 0:01 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Update on the WSOF situation:

David Branch has an announcement Monday and it looks like he might be returning to the UFC.

If so, I'm really looking forward to seeing what Branch can do in his second go around with the UFC.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

If so, I'm really looking forward to seeing what Branch can do in his second go around with the UFC.

Hell, no matter where he goes, he might have more success as a Light Heavyweight. The top 5 of each division is going to be hard to break into, but 205 has seen struggles to find a handful of fighters who can be more than just decent. I mean someone like Jordan Johnson, who is still very much developing as a fighter, was able to dominate someone who already put together some UFC wins at LHW. Unless he's matched tough out of the gate, he can beat the group of fighters whose only purpose is occupying a roster spot.

• Like 1

Brooks is a local-ish guy. Lives in the Michiana (the name for the area that's very southern Michigan and northern Indiana) area. Not from South Bend, but I vaguely recall seeing his name on fliers around town for fights and shit. No idea if he's good or not, but it's cool that a dude from the area is in the UFC.