DVDVR Message Board

2017 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

In other injury news, Dominick Cruz broke his arm and is out of the Rivera fight at UFC 219.

BTW, Edgar's injury isn't severe but he can't do anything contact related for six weeks.

16 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Apparently, Wonderboy's camp is saying they have no interest in fighting Darren Till at this time.  If I'm Wonderboy and his camp I want to fight Till right now when the gap between Wonderboy's craftiness and Tills savagery is at its highest.

To be honest, when I think about it, I can see where Wonderboy's dad is coming from. Masvidal is probably the closest to a tuneup opponent they will take. On the UFC side, I don't see why you would put Till against the most awkward style matchup and the toughest opponent you can find in his hometown. If anything, you would put that fight in North Carolina a little closer to where Wonderboy is from because the odds would favor him. If you want Till to fight in Liverpool at Echo Arena, give him a fighter to smash and put it as a Fight Pass headliner again. Then, introduce him more on the regular TV cards or a PPV undercard. That way, by the time he is ready for tougher opponents, you have this awesome highlight reel. Shit, if Matt Brown beats Diego this weekend and doesn't want to retire yet, put him against Darren Till. That's the perfect setup for bigger and better things. That way, he will have Cerrone AND Matt Brown on his resume.

30 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

In other injury news, Dominick Cruz broke his arm and is out of the Rivera fight at UFC 219.

BTW, Edgar's injury isn't severe but he can't do anything contact related for six weeks.

To be honest, when I think about it, I can see where Wonderboy's dad is coming from. Masvidal is probably the closest to a tuneup opponent they will take. On the UFC side, I don't see why you would put Till against the most awkward style matchup and the toughest opponent you can find in his hometown. If anything, you would put that fight in North Carolina a little closer to where Wonderboy is from because the odds would favor him. If you want Till to fight in Liverpool at Echo Arena, give him a fighter to smash and put it as a Fight Pass headliner again. Then, introduce him more on the regular TV cards or a PPV undercard. That way, by the time he is ready for tougher opponents, you have this awesome highlight reel. Shit, if Matt Brown beats Diego this weekend and doesn't want to retire yet, put him against Darren Till. That's the perfect setup for bigger and better things. That way, he will have Cerrone AND Matt Brown on his resume.

If I was Till, I don't know if I would want Wonderboy right now, but then again he doesn't seem like the type of person who would duck anyone.  Honestly, I really like Till against the winner of Perry/Ponzinibio, but Mazvidal would be a pretty dope fight too.  

If I was the UFC, I would take my time with the guy. He can fight on cards in Brazil and the UK and serve as a go to guy that you usually don't have if you're booking fighters right after they fight. They need more utility guys to headline smaller cards. I think Perry/Ponzi is more his speed for right now especially considering the most resistance he has faced has been Nicolas Dalby, who was a touted prospect at the time but ain't even on roster anymore due to inconsistency and lack of fight IQ.

Sad to not get a Cruz fight in 2017. After seeing my top two favorite fighters get torched last week, I was hoping to still have Cruz to look forward to. That was a super intriguing fight too.

Also if it wasn't mentioned, saw Joanne Calderwood is out of next weekend's fight against Bec Rawlings. Replaced by Jessica Rose-Clark which led to Milana Dudieva replacing Rose-Clark at Invicta 26 against Vanessa Porto.

11 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If Aldo promises to throw leg kicks, I'm all about this.  That fight was fucking dope, and I think we have already forgot how good Aldo was tagging him in the first round.  I'm not mad at this at all.

19 minutes ago, supremebve said:

If Aldo promises to throw leg kicks, I'm all about this.  That fight was fucking dope, and I think we have already forgot how good Aldo was tagging him in the first round.  I'm not mad at this at all.

Edgar better hope Holloway wins again because this might either lead to a Holloway-Aldo trilogy and/or Frankie Edgar having to fight in more title eliminators because the UFC doesn't want to do Aldo-Edgar III.

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Edgar better hope Holloway wins again because this might either lead to a Holloway-Aldo trilogy and/or Frankie Edgar having to fight in more title eliminators because the UFC doesn't want to do Aldo-Edgar III.

The UFC doesn't want to do Aldo-Edgar III?  If I'm Edgar, I'd never want to fight Aldo again.  Aldo is the absolute perfect fighter to neutralize everything Edgar wants to do.  Edgar doesn't have the power to hurt Aldo.  Aldo's economy of movement nullifies Edgar's constant movement, Aldo never takes two steps when one will do.  Edgar will take 3 when one will do, and that leaves a fighter like Aldo a lot of openings.  Aldo also kicked his legs, which made him have to make a decision between checking kicks or using his movement.  Whatever decision Edgar makes, Aldo either destroys his legs or Edgar is standing in striking range with a much more powerful fighter.  Edgar cannot take Aldo down, which is the biggest reason he can't win.  Edgar's biggest strength as a fighter is his movement and his ability to score takedowns.  Aldo's style nullifies both in a way that makes Edgar completely ineffective.  I honestly think that Aldo vs. Edgar II is Jose Aldo's best performance.  He did everything he wanted to do in the most efficient way possible.  He was able to evade Aldo's punches, land counters at will, and shake off Edgar's takedowns with little to no effort.  He got through that fight and didn't look like he ever really exerted himself.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

The UFC doesn't want to do Aldo-Edgar III?  If I'm Edgar, I'd never want to fight Aldo again.  Aldo is the absolute perfect fighter to neutralize everything Edgar wants to do.  Edgar doesn't have the power to hurt Aldo.  Aldo's economy of movement nullifies Edgar's constant movement, Aldo never takes two steps when one will do.  Edgar will take 3 when one will do, and that leaves a fighter like Aldo a lot of openings.  Aldo also kicked his legs, which made him have to make a decision between checking kicks or using his movement.  Whatever decision Edgar makes, Aldo either destroys his legs or Edgar is standing in striking range with a much more powerful fighter.  Edgar cannot take Aldo down, which is the biggest reason he can't win.  Edgar's biggest strength as a fighter is his movement and his ability to score takedowns.  Aldo's style nullifies both in a way that makes Edgar completely ineffective.  I honestly think that Aldo vs. Edgar II is Jose Aldo's best performance.  He did everything he wanted to do in the most efficient way possible.  He was able to evade Aldo's punches, land counters at will, and shake off Edgar's takedowns with little to no effort.  He got through that fight and didn't look like he ever really exerted himself.

Edgar will fight anyone if the title is on the line especially given that it took a bunch of wins to get back to fighting for the belt again. However, I think Edgar and his camp are pissed about the inopportune timing of this injury because they know the possible ramifications of Aldo being able to replace Edgar at 218 and Aldo winning.

They're not giving anyone a title shot who wants to explore free agency. He kinda sunk his ability to take the fight before the news broke that Edgar was out. If he would have stayed quiet, he could have snuck in there. It's not like a Weidman situation where he was betting on himself in order to get a better deal. Swanson legitimately said he wants to fight the last fight and see where it takes him because he and the UFC are far apart in terms of money. With Aldo being available (and Lamas as the worst case scenario), they aren't desperate to rush and negotiate a deal that's probably going to take several weeks to get done anyway. 

If he beats Ortega, his bargaining chip is that he should get the title shot once Edgar gets his. And if Edgar has a setback where he has to extend his period of no contact, he can step in.

That's a ridiculous turnaround time after just fighting GSP and that fight shouldn't be allowed to go forward.  The guy just got busted up in a title fight with GSP.  

They are also going to ignore his 30-day medical suspension? http://mmajunkie.com/2017/11/ufc-217-medical-suspensions-georges-st-pierre-stephen-thompson-45-days

Last time I checked, Shanghai is not in New York State. I'm not sure if UFC is acting as their own regulatory body or using the local jurisdiction, but I don't think they would recognize those same medical suspensions. Plus, Bisping likely got cleared by UFC physicians (which is easy since he lives in Cali) or else they wouldn't put him in the fight.

Gastelum/Bisping feels like a pick 'em fight, mainly because I feel Kelvin is inconsistent.  Bisping beats bad Kelvin and might get first round KO'd by best Kelvin.  I would lead towards the latter scenario simply because of the short turn around for Bisping (amazing how happy he is to fight again now that a belt isn't on the line) and because he's often rather hittable up high; an occasional slow starter coming in on short notice who has a habit of leaving his head out there against a quick starter with one punch power feels like a recipe for a knock-out.  The fight location and the mounting evidence that Kelvin may have the "screw up" gene are the things that scare me a good deal.