DVDVR Message Board

2017 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

On 10/15/2017 at 8:58 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Walt Harris gets a consolation prize for taking the Werdum fight on short notice and will get the Godbeer fight remade for UFC 217.

Give him a couple more fights even if he loses against Godbeer.  Takes guts to step up to the plate to get your arm ripped off by Werdum probably on hours notice.

UFC's interim belt/title main event strategy isn't working anymore.  You have to start pushing your top athletes as major stars again.  They also need to get off FOX Sports 1.  The audience erosion for UFC on FOX Sports has been terrible.  Ratings were good and trending upward before the FS1 move.

Khabib vs. Edson Barboza has been made for UFC 219.

A fight that was suppose to be made for 219 was Amanda Nunes vs. Raquel Pennington but Pennington broke her leg in a car accident. If Holm and Cyborg can't be made, I'm guessing Holm takes that bantamweight title shot. 

• Like 1

If he can stop a takedown or two, that's going to get really interesting. Horcher is an ok fighter, but preparing for Edson Barboza off a long layoff is a much different story. I mean Michael Johnson showed at least early on that Khabib is there to be touched.

Well, my boo texted me that my birthday presents arrived in the mail, so I will be in attendance at the UFC card in Norfolk on Saturday the 11th of November and celebrating my 49th year on planet earth on the evening of Friday the 10th..

• Like 2

I just saw that Seo Hee Ham won the atomweight belt for ROAD FC this summer, and she is defending against Jinh Yu next month. I wonder if Invicta has any interest because that would be a win over a regular if she came out victorious.

On 11/4/2017 at 9:52 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Update:

Am I the only one 100% OK with that fight.  Paige Vanzant gets all the shit for the UFC treating  her like she shits gold, but she is a 23-year-old who has shown flashes of potential.  The 125-pound division doesn't have anyone names in it right now.  She's a fighter that people know who will either win a title or the winner of the Ultimate Fighter will make her name by beating her ass.  It is kind of win-win for the UFC.

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Am I the only one 100% OK with that fight.  Paige Vanzant gets all the shit for the UFC treating  her like she shits gold, but she is a 23-year-old who has shown flashes of potential.  The 125-pound division doesn't have anyone names in it right now.  She's a fighter that people know who will either win a title or the winner of the Ultimate Fighter will make her name by beating her ass.  It is kind of win-win for the UFC.

If she is going to be used to give a rub to the season winner or serve as transitional champ, there are worse choices. I think they know they don't have too many intriguing personalities on this season, and that's why it hasn't translated into keeping the ratings from going all the way in the toilet. You put the winner against Paige on FS1 or the April Fox show, and that at least introduces the division much better than a random TUF final. I mean Bellator just had their inaugural flyweight title fight, and I don't think anyone paid attention to that outside the most hardcore of hardcore MMA fans. Paige is the ace up their sleeve before the division really takes off.

Update on Wonderboy/Till: Looks like the Orlando card is still a go for right now, but Till was originally scheduled for that card and will be fighting Wonderboy on a card in England that might be in Liverpool.

According to Combate, Frankie Edgar is off 218 with a facial injury that needs surgery.

I am not sure who could replace Edgar because Aldo and Lamas are rematching each other and Cub and Ortega are headlining in Fresno. I guess they can break the Aldo fight up, but then Lamas would need an opponent.

On 06/11/2017 at 9:24 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Bellator just had their inaugural flyweight title fight, and I don't think anyone paid attention to that outside the most hardcore of hardcore MMA fans. 

What Bellator title do people pay attention to?

21 minutes ago, AxB said:

What Bellator title do people pay attention to?

The welterweight title, which is why they push the 170 pound fights the hardest. Whenever they do happen, they really don't have the sporadic ratings like the other headlining fights unless there is an injury replacement. I mean Koreshkov-Lima 2 did a better number on tape delay than Bader-Vassell, which was live and also had the women's flyweight title fight. Phil Davis was also on the latter card.

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Update on Wonderboy/Till: Looks like the Orlando card is still a go for right now, but Till was originally scheduled for that card and will be fighting Wonderboy on a card in England that might be in Liverpool.

Apparently, Wonderboy's camp is saying they have no interest in fighting Darren Till at this time.  If I'm Wonderboy and his camp I want to fight Till right now when the gap between Wonderboy's craftiness and Tills savagery is at its highest.