DVDVR Message Board

2017 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Update from Marc Raimondi's article:

Going by the tweet referenced in the article, she is lucky all that happened was she got punched. That will get you stomped and kicked to sleep in the streets.

Again, why is Angela Magana still on the roster? Did they forget she was on the roster?

My guess is they really like she seeing her get destroyed in the Octagon.

It seemed like after TUF 20 her and Bec seemed like locks to get fired.

I thought they did fire Bec after that finale? They just bought her back because they were running shows in Australia.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

I thought they did fire Bec after that finale? They just bought her back because they were running shows in Australia.

I don't think she was ever cut.

Surprised to see Barb Honchak on the list since she hasn't fought in a couple of years now but would love to see her back. Elsewhere my favs from the list I'd like to see are Bennett and Stanley (and Murphy but she was already in UFC)

Travis Browne vs. Alexey Oleinik has been added to UFC 213.

Renan Barao is returning to bantamweight to fight Aljamain Sterling at UFC 214. Also, Ricardo Lamas vs. The Korean Zombie has been added to that card.

If I'm Ray Borg, there is no way in hell I would take a fight with DJ at this point in my career.

He just changed gyms late last year, he is making incremental improvements in his overall game, and he is still pretty young.  There would be little benefit in him challenging DJ.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I was going to say money, but DJ is the non PPV Champion.

This is where a matchmaker like Mick Maynard or Sean Shelby has to sit a young fighter down and be straightforward.

"Look we think you have a very bright future blah blah blah, but listen, the only thing that can happen between you and Mighty Mouse right now is you end up on the wrong end of a trivia fact. We feel the flyweight division is Demetrious Johnson, a very long gap, Benavidez and Cejudo, and then everyone else. When we entice DJ to go back up to 135, then you will be one of the guys we end up building flyweight around. Your best chance to be champion is ride this out and gain a ton of experience in the mean time because that's not going come from getting smashed by Mighty Mouse. That would be our fault if we let that occur."

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:48 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I had no idea Kelly Kobold still fought.

Name seems familiar. Did she once fight Gina Carano for whatever promotion CBS was airing on Saturday nights many years ago?

11 minutes ago, zev said:

Name seems familiar. Did she once fight Gina Carano for whatever promotion CBS was airing on Saturday nights many years ago?

Yes. She took a very long hiatus after that. She came back, had a local fight, and then signed with Invicta a few years ago. She got injured before she could fight there and hasn't fought since IIRC.

Germaine de Randamie is refusing to fight Cyborg so I'm thinking that's going to lead to her getting stripped, and Cyborg and whoever Cyborgs fights going for the vacant title. For Michael Bisping, the cheater thing might work. When the division is literally you and the person you refuse to fight, that's going to end badly for you.

The obvious fight for Johnson right now is the winner of Moreno vs. Pettis.  Borg has only won his last two fights and only one of them was at 125 pounds.  Who says Johnson has to fight this summer?  The Dillashaw fight makes no sense either.  Just set him up against Moreno or Pettis.

12 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

The obvious fight for Johnson right now is the winner of Moreno vs. Pettis.  Borg has only won his last two fights and only one of them was at 125 pounds.  Who says Johnson has to fight this summer?  The Dillashaw fight makes no sense either.  Just set him up against Moreno or Pettis.

I don't think Moreno, Pettis, or Borg would be ready to fight Demetrious at this point or even be remotely competitive.  I think at best, the Pettis vs. Moreno winner gets a title eliminator against Benavidez. Does anyone see any of those three prospects beating Benavidez? So if the answer is no, why throw them in with DJ who is way better than Benavidez? 

The reason I would back a Dillashaw fight is the next defense of the title would be the record breaking title defense. Fighting a prospect who has no chance at winning is not a fight you make for a historic recording breaking title defense. With the Reis fight, the rating was down clearly because it's Wilson Reis and the result was a foregone conclusion. Dillashaw, if he can make 125, gives you another name fighter and it's not clear cut who would win. Plus, Dillashaw would be the best name on DJ's resume.

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The reason I would back a Dillashaw fight is the next defense of the title would be the record breaking title defense. Fighting a prospect who has no chance at winning is not a fight you make for a historic recording breaking title defense. Dillashaw, if he can make 125, gives you another name fighter and it's not clear cut who would win. Plus, Dillashaw would be the best name on DJ's resume.

this was my line of reasoning also. i'd be interested in Dillashaw/DJ way before DJ/anybody else that's been mentioned so far.

For the record, i still have DJ one behind Silva in defenses. I count Silva's win over Lutter, even if the official records do not. The way i see it, Silva did everything he needed to do, as he made weight and won the fight. the fact that Lutter missed his opportunity shouldn't count against Silva. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't think Moreno, Pettis, or Borg would be ready to fight Demetrious at this point or even be remotely competitive.  I think at best, the Pettis vs. Moreno winner gets a title eliminator against Benavidez. Does anyone see any of those three prospects beating Benavidez? So if the answer is no, why throw them in with DJ who is way better than Benavidez? 

The reason I would back a Dillashaw fight is the next defense of the title would be the record breaking title defense. Fighting a prospect who has no chance at winning is not a fight you make for a historic recording breaking title defense. With the Reis fight, the rating was down clearly because it's Wilson Reis and the result was a foregone conclusion. Dillashaw, if he can make 125, gives you another name fighter and it's not clear cut who would win. Plus, Dillashaw would be the best name on DJ's resume.

Is anyone ready to fight Johnson?  The guy with the best winning streak at flyweight is Joseph Benavidez who was a top ranked bantamweight when he fought at that weight class, and he lost to Johnson twice.  

Can Dillashaw even make 125 pounds? 

55 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Is anyone ready to fight Johnson?  The guy with the best winning streak at flyweight is Joseph Benavidez who was a top ranked bantamweight when he fought at that weight class, and he lost to Johnson twice.  

Can Dillashaw even make 125 pounds? 

You would think the guy who had a back and forth title fight with the last guy to beat Demetrious would be the one.

That's why you would want someone like Dillashaw. Sure, it can be one of those Andre Ward vs. Chad Dawson situations where the heavier weight champ destroys his body to fight the lighter weight champ in the latter's division and gets clowned in the fight. However, you run that risk with people who actually fight in that division. If he can make it safely and feels like he can, I'm all for it.

The thing is...DJ gets all that flack for not drawing (which I'm not sure really matters anymore because hardly anyone else does either) but he doesn't want to fight any superfights despite people always bringing that up. I have to agree with what Meltzer said on Observer radio earlier this week. If you don't want to market yourself or take any notable fights, how can you expect to be a draw? The annoying questions from the media are going to keep coming especially if you're fighting people who have no shot at beating you, everyone knows that, and hardly anyone tunes in. DJ could easily go on a run where he could fight Dillashaw, Garbrandt, Cruz, and any fighter they could line up and easily cement himself as one of the top 5 P4P ever at any weight. If you beat those dudes in a relatively close vicinity of each other, people are going to take notice. That's how you make money.

• Like 1