DVDVR Message Board

2017 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

And the Mayweather vs McGregor circus rolls on. Floyd says let's do it in June. Conor says nothing so far, but give it an hour or two...

Mayweather by DQ. Seriously, McGregor has no chance in a boxing match, but he could use said boxing match as a showcase for why boxing is not an effective combat technique (by using lots of MMA moves that are illegal in Marquis of Queensbury) and lose with the moral victory of sorts. Even if he does better than most Mayweather opponents have, it still turns into "MMA sucks, Conor can't box and he is awful". And nobody wants that. Except boxing fans who hate MMA, obviously.

Actually, scratch that. If they won't agree to a 2-match series, with fights under both rules systems, they should compromise and fight under Ali vs Inoki rules. 

2 hours ago, AxB said:

And the Mayweather vs McGregor circus rolls on. Floyd says let's do it in June. Conor says nothing so far, but give it an hour or two...

Mayweather by DQ. Seriously, McGregor has no chance in a boxing match, but he could use said boxing match as a showcase for why boxing is not an effective combat technique (by using lots of MMA moves that are illegal in Marquis of Queensbury) and lose with the moral victory of sorts. Even if he does better than most Mayweather opponents have, it still turns into "MMA sucks, Conor can't box and he is awful". And nobody wants that. Except boxing fans who hate MMA, obviously.

Actually, scratch that. If they won't agree to a 2-match series, with fights under both rules systems, they should compromise and fight under Ali vs Inoki rules. 

Without the UFC's involvement, the fight isn't happening in boxing, MMA, or mixed rules.

It would take months just to agree on purses, PPV cuts, and promotion let alone discussing what ruleset it takes place under. 

Apparently McGregor wants $100,000,000 to fight Mayweather, which is exactly how much money it would take for any other sane non boxer to fight an undefeated boxing champion.  Seriously, that sounds like the answer to a hypothetical that you'd ask your friend at a bar.

18 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Apparently McGregor wants $100,000,000 to fight Mayweather, which is exactly how much money it would take for any other sane non boxer to fight an undefeated boxing champion.  Seriously, that sounds like the answer to a hypothetical that you'd ask your friend at a bar.

So who is going to pay these purses?

23 minutes ago, supremebve said:

If you have to pay McGregor $100 million, what astronomical number is Floyd going to come up with.  

60/40 split? $150 million. 

Now only if they can find some investor in Dubai to fund this shit....

On 3/13/2017 at 10:08 AM, supremebve said:

I'm 59 years old with bad knees and a shot back, but give me $100,000,000 to fight Floyd and I'm there yesterday. Hell, I'll do it for $50,000,000...

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I'm for this. Sucks when fighters miss weight especially repeat offenders like John Lineker, Johny Hendricks, Kelvin Gastelum, Thiago Alves and Anthony Johnson.

Rumble hasn't missed weight in almost half a decade though.

• Like 1