DVDVR Message Board

2017 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

After plenty of back and forth, WSOF has granted Sheymon Moraes his release. I don't see him being a top BW, but I would love to see an Edson Barboza type at 135 in the UFC. Sheymon Moraes vs. Thominhas would be bonkers for example.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Apparently, Maia vs. Gamebred has been added to the Nashville card.

This may be the worse possible fight for either guy.  It is also the fight that gets one of the two fighters no one wants to fight out of contention.  In a perfect world we'd be getting Maia vs. the winner of the Woodley/Wonderboy fight and Lawler vs. Masvidal, but I guess this is also good. 

• Like 1

My guess would be August or September, but that might be the International Fight Week headliner. I think they would want to see how Cormier/Rumble II goes before trying to see if they can have the winner fight JBJ. The fight is in early to mid April, but that's pushing it in terms of trying to promote a fight that might not happen for various reasons.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Maybe it's me, but I swear that something always overshadows Tyron. In this case, the announcement of GSP vs Bisping.

He could be Jacare and Yoel in the division that fight is occurring. The likelihood of Georges fighting him was slim and this was the fight they were working on so I mean...shit could be worse. I mean the fact he is headlining a show after a lot of (stupid) people thought a replay of the Marquardt fight would play out in last two fights is a testament to MMA in general. If he wins this weekend, it's only going to contribute to his case for getting a big marquee fight.

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

or Misha took less money.

Probably that. Glad that he's back though.

Thoughts on GSP/Bisping? Georges will have the narrowest of reach advantages even when moving up a division but it'll be all about how explosive in his power double after the long layoff imo. He was simply a freak in his ability to take guys down and keep them there when he was at the top of the game, particularly for somebody that didn't have a wrestling background. I doubt he'll be looking to stand there and trade from distance with Bisping. It was a while ago, but Tim Kennedy took Bisping down five times in their fight and at 63% takedown defense, it's not as if Bisping has the best defensive wrestling.

If Bisping wins, he can legitimately claim to have beaten the best Middleweight of all time, and the best Welterweight of all time. Which would make him the greatest pound for pound fighter in the history of our great sport, or something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Probably that. Glad that he's back though.

Thoughts on GSP/Bisping? Georges will have the narrowest of reach advantages even when moving up a division but it'll be all about how explosive in his power double after the long layoff imo. He was simply a freak in his ability to take guys down and keep them there when he was at the top of the game, particularly for somebody that didn't have a wrestling background. I doubt he'll be looking to stand there and trade from distance with Bisping. It was a while ago, but Tim Kennedy took Bisping down five times in their fight and at 63% takedown defense, it's not as if Bisping has the best defensive wrestling.

Kennedy was also a much bigger fighter. Besides Henderson, who wasn't really trying to take him down, this is the first fighter Bisping has faced in a while that wasn't his size or bigger. You would have to go back to Cung Le, another guy who wasn't really trying to take him down.

Plus, I don't know how I would feel about a GSP who was 15-20 pounds bigger in natural weight haven't never fought. There is a reason he never ventured above 170. Not saying he couldn't beat MWs then or now, but the landscape at 185 is much different than 2013 and some of his inherent advantages go away. GSP was a tremendous fighter, but I don't think he is THAT much more skilled than Bisping to overcome a layoff after some of his skills that put him over the top already eroded. A lot of that could be passion related, but I doubt anyone is trying to have tough moments in fights.

He could beat Bisping, but I think we should also prepare for GSP look like a fighter who might be a little past his prime.

I just realized that the potential, albeit slim, is there for GSP vs Hendricks at MW.

Johny is going to be a ghost that haunts GSP worse than the aliens that GSP thinks abducted him. 

It does seem a little odd that GSP's reach is half an inch longer, when Bisping is 4 inches taller and has a larger frame. I wouldn't be surprised if Bisping's jab range is further than GSP's, even if the fingertip to fingertip measurement is shorter.

I kind of feel like it should be a non-title fight, but whatever.  Bisping just basically ducked all his top contenders.  But he got the biggest fight of his career after winning the title.  So kudos to him I suppose.

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I kind of feel like it should be a non-title fight

Yeah, if I'm Yoel Romero and Jacare who also want to make money, I would rather fight GSP if he won and not Michael Bisping fresh off a loss against GSP. That would also be incredibly absurd.

56 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, if I'm Yoel Romero and Jacare who also want to make money, I would rather fight GSP if he won and not Michael Bisping fresh off a loss against GSP. That would also be incredibly absurd.

I doubt either guy is celebrating in the streets they've been blatantly passed over here.