DVDVR Message Board

2017 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

IMO It's a bit hard to get a read on Gastelum. He has a top five talent, but he hasn't been able to craft a run yet to really get himself in position. I think being a 5'9" middleweight kinda reared it's ugly head in the Weidman fight. I thought Weidman had a little left in the tank and obviously the better submission grappler, but I didn't think Gastelum would basically abandon defensive grappling. I don't know if I should be impressed with Weidman performing well with his back against the wall and getting hurt in round 1 or depressed about Gastelum hitting a ceiling. I think Kelvin still mentally wants to compete at 170, but there isn't any way for him to get back there.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Last time I checked, Shanghai is not in New York State. I'm not sure if UFC is acting as their own regulatory body or using the local jurisdiction, but I don't think they would recognize those same medical suspensions. Plus, Bisping likely got cleared by UFC physicians (which is easy since he lives in Cali) or else they wouldn't put him in the fight.

There's no justification for this.  He shouldn't be fighting three weeks after he probably got concussed and beat up by GSP.  That's the height of insanity.  The fight taking place in Shanghai is not a valid excuse.  So what if it's not in New York state?  UFC should should have to follow the recommended medical suspensions.  

Just because a UFC doctor "clears" him doesn't mean he's fit to fight.  Mark Hunt claimed a doctor and psychologist cleared him to fight in Australia and said his words in that article were "taken out of context."

I find it hard to believe a legitimate, non-shady doctor would clear Bisping less than a week after a beating like that.

Just now, TheVileOne said:

There's no justification for this.  He shouldn't be fighting three weeks after he probably got concussed and beat up by Bisping.  

He beat himself up?

But yeah, if the physicians clear him then your problem is with the physicians (and probably Ratner if it's a UFC regulated show). If he got concussed, then I doubt they would clear him. 

Also, the key part is it's not in New York state where the suspension is. Even then, he would still be able to compete in NYS if he got cleared there if he got checked out there. If this was in a NJ/CA/NV, I think they would *probably* go with someone else. Anywhere else, it's open season because those commissions have different regulations as far those procedures. If you get your medicals done in time and nothing crazy shows up, then you will probably get to the greenlight.

24 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

There's no justification for this.  He shouldn't be fighting three weeks after he probably got concussed and beat up by Bisping.  That's the height of insanity.  The fight taking place in Shanghai is not a valid excuse.  So what if it's not in New York state?  UFC should should have to follow the recommended medical suspensions.  

Just because a UFC doctor "clears" him doesn't mean he's fit to fight.  Mark Hunt claimed a doctor and psychologist cleared him to fight in Australia and said his words in that article were "taken out of context."

I find it hard to believe a legitimate, non-shady doctor would clear Bisping less than a week after a beating like that.

You never know maybe Russel Wilson gave Bisping his magic water that cures concussions. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Before the recent events people were mooting the idea of Bisping vs Silva II at the London event in March. Have UFC ever done a rematch in the same venue as the original fight?

There are probably some lower level rematches, but the only notable ones that come to mind are Silva vs. Weidman & Velasquez vs. Bigfoot happening at MGM both times and Lesnar vs. Mir happening at Mandalay Bay both times (UFC 81 & 100).

Given the travel, you will be hard pressed to find ones that occur outside of Vegas. Aldo vs. Mendes is probably the closest, but one took place at HSBC Arena and the other took place in the gymnasium beside the giant soccer stadium. 

9 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Swagger signed with Bellator

oh good, we can get the long awaited Swagger vs Lashley match.

seriously tho, wtf?  unless he's been doing low key striking lessons, dude ain't gonna make it far. amateur wrestling background, sure, but at heavyweight you gotta have hands

11 hours ago, twiztor said:

seriously tho, wtf?  unless he's been doing low key striking lessons, dude ain't gonna make it far. amateur wrestling background, sure, but at heavyweight you gotta have hands

Yes and no.  If you are an elite wrestler, I think you'll be able to compete at heavyweight in Bellator.  Honestly, there are maybe 6 good heavyweights on the planet, and I don't know if anyone in Bellator is on that list.  If his wrestling is elite, that is a huge if, he'll be able to compete against guys who aren't really elite at anything.  Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if Bader or Lawal won their heavyweight grand prix, because I think their skill level is higher than any of the heavyweights in the tournament.  Other than Fedor, what heavyweight is going to be able to brain either of them before getting taken down?

Ryan Bader and Matt Mitrione are going to be odds on favorite to win a tournament that also features Fedor Emelianenko and Frank Mir by virtue of not being completely old, decrepit, or undersized.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Helwani says Diaz versus Woodley is a possible option for 219 main event.

Nate Diaz doesn't deserve this fight, but neither does anyone else who hasn't either already fought a lackluster fight against Woodley.  I guess the winner of RDA vs. Lawler would be most deserving, but that fight is 2 weeks before 219.  They can't sell another Thompson fight.  Both Covington and Till probably need another fight or two before anyone takes them seriously as contenders.  Welterweight is going through a transitional period that needs to kind of play itself out before I complain about this fight.

I sincerely apologize to the Director of the Mohegan Tribe Department of Athletic Regulation.

I'm not sure I follow this. Why is he apologizing to a tribal commission in Connecticut for a fight that happened in Ireland? I'm assuming that they were the commission for the event, but why? Is there no regulatory body that handles combat sports in Ireland?