DVDVR Message Board

2017 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Sean Grande is leaving the Bellator after the NYC card.

AXS is replacing Schiavello with Ron Kruck, who Schiavello had replaced originally.

I dunno who Bellator gets to replace Grande, who was a traditional sports guy. They might as well get Goldberg because the first two dudes were Goldberg lite. To Wheelock's credit though, Wheelock was an actual MMA commentator. 

Yeah, I brought it up yesterday. I was trying to figure out if he quit or was fired. If they got Goldie AND Mauro, they either fired him or forced him out. Either way, he was made obsolete instantly.

14 minutes ago, Ace said:

If Mauro could manage to have his WWE contract be non-exclusive, of course his Bellator contract would be.

Well, Bellator is owned by Viacom. He already works for Showtime and that's owned by Viacom. I'm safely assuming his priority will be with all Viacom owned networks. The thing is the Bellator broadcast doesn't need both Mauro and Goldie (that NYC broadcast already sounds like overkill with the exiting Grande on there as well) and Bellator doesn't run a ton of shows. Showtime tends to run 2-3 main boxing shows and then go dark for 1 1/2-2 months. For the Showtime Boxing International, they do most of those in a TV studio unless it's something huge like Klitschko vs. Joshua. He will be available.

Canada needs to get their act together. Hague shouldn't have been competing in that fight at all.  He had sustained multiple concussions in a short timeframe before that.

In Ontario, former UFC fighter Adam Hunter (got cut in February before ever having a fight) was allowed to have a amateur kickboxing match while still under USADA suspension and the regulatory body recognizes those suspensions.

It looks like Hague was KO'ed three times in 2016 and three times in 2015, only fighting in Russia and Edmonton.

It's not on the level of Gary Goodridge's 23 career KO/TKOs but it's completely insane that any commission or camp could have let it reach that point. I've seen people bring up fighters who suffered more career knockouts, and y'know what? Mark Hunt's brain is jelly. So is Overeem's. They're punchy, they slur, their later years will not be kind to them. It's friggin' sad but knockout is just a catchy word for concussion.

I just don't know how you could allow a guy to be knocked down six times in a fight without stopping it by no later than the third or fourth one? This whole situation is just so sleazy and awful on so many levels.

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

GdR has been stripped of the women's featherweight title. Cyborg vs. Megan Anderson at 214 for the vacant belt is now official.

Should be exciting. This leads to Tonya Evinger moving up to featherweight to replace Megan in the Invicta 24 main event against Helena Kolesnyk

Megan Anderson out of 214, Cyborg now faces Tonya Evinger for the title. Wow. Was really looking forward to Megan in UFC, but this should be highly interesting and entertaining as well, always enjoy Tonya's fights. And the Invicta 24 main will change again