DVDVR Message Board

Hijo del Santo, Ringo Mendoza y Chamaco Valaguez vs. Jerry Estrada, Fuerza Guerrera y Talisman (3/9/84)

Phil Schneider

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that's Cachorro Mendoza and not Ringo Mendoza: http://luchawiki.org/index.php?title=Cachorro_MendozaIt's funny to see baby Misawa and baby Koshinaka getting interviewed at the beginning. This is a really fun fast paced trios match. There are a bunch of heel miscommunication spots involving Fuerza and Talisman that are perfectly timed. Santo's team acts more as his backup than anything else and most of this match is built around Santo vs the rudos. The rudos trying to remove Santo's mask in the third fall is really well done and is sold as being as big of a deal as all of the other action in this match which is pretty cool. Fuerza vs Santo is a goldmine and it's a shame the only singles matches they've had against each other are the triangle mask match from 89 and that one from Hamada's UWF that is way too short.

This is a great match that gives you a bunch of different stuff.  The opening fall is a really good, fun technicos vs. rudos trios with some really great spots, a cool Santito v. Fuerza dynamic and Estrada taking the crazy bump of the match, falling through the ropes off a backdrop.  Ending to the first fall is really great.  Rest of the match is more intense with cool rudo beatdowns including isolating Santito and going after his mask; the technicos mount a pitched comeback and Santo is awesome with the strings of his untied mask flying about while he's frantically exacting revenge on Feurza with awesome punches, knees and mask ripping.  While his partners are getting pinned Fuerza manages to snatch Santo's mask off and the post match has wild brawling with masks getting torn off and changing hands.

Some more individuals I am not too familiar with (tailsman, Valaquez). The Santo interaction in the first fall was a ton of fun vs. both Fuerza and Estrada. Fuerza in particular shows a lot of fire in the onset. Mendoza comes in to relinquish Santo from the corner and he has a quick flurry with Fuerza and Estrada bumping around. We then get some neat heel miscommunication spots with Tailsman and Fuerza not being able to get on the same page. Santo and Fuerza have their typical good sequence then Valaquez and Estrada have a nice sequence with Estrada takinga backdrop through the ring ropes. Big tecnico flurry with submissions and dives from Santo wins the first fall for them. Second fall starts off really fun with Santo just bouncing off the rudos and them running into each other with comedy spots. Estrada is able to get the advantage of Mendoza and Tailsman kicks him on top of the head coming in. However, Mendoza is able to fall through to the floor. Valaguez gets a beating to and Santo as well. Rudos are dominant now. More mask tugging and agression from Fuerza. Tailsman gives valaguez a powerbomb without any regard for his health. Rudos take the second fall as Santo gets posted. On the third fall, they really go after Santo and his mask untying it. I liked the other tenicos trying to get in but Estrada keeps them at bay. Finally we get the big comeback against Fuerza. Fuerza gets his mask ripped. Finish comes when Fuerza is able to take Santo's mask off. Now this was a good tag with a lot of good action and followed a formula but something seemed off for me and I think it was how two bit both Mendoza/Valaguez felt.***1/4

• 2 weeks later...

This was another strong trios. I thought it faltered some in the second fall when the rudos were on top. It seemed to be dragging a little bit and not much was going on. I really enjoyed the first fall and that was almost completely because it had Fuerza and Estrada taking numerous idiotic bumps in the ring, out of the ring, all over the place, etc. I liked the Santo-Fuerza stuff later on too with the mask pulling. The post-match was fucking awesome with Santo getting pissed and brawling in Lizmark’s mask. Good fun.

I will give this roughly three stars. That period in the second fall was really lacking but the first fall and the Santo-Fuerza stuff were enjoyable enough to give it that rating. It’d be a C+ probably from the grading scale. 

• 2 weeks later...

I fucked up this is Cachorro.

Hijo del Santo/Cachorro Mendoza/Chamaco Valaguez vs. Jerry Estrada/Fuerza Guerrera/Talisman (3/9/84)Santo & Fuerza feuding is the story early as Fuerza tries to stay away until he has a chance to take cheap shots. A great spot was Fuerza shaking hands and hugging Chamaco before kneeing him in the balls when the referees weren't looking. The tecs took the 1st fall as Cachorro & Chamaco got subs while Santo just nailed Fuerza with a running dive from the apron to the floor. The 2nd fall was the rudos trying to come back and they used roughhouse tactics to do that including Fuerza flirting with another foule by kneeing Santo in the inner thigh. Estrada & Talisman get their revenge from the 1st fall getting subs on Cachorro & Chamaco as Fuerza posts Santo on the floor to even the falls. The 3rd fall sees Fuerza almost rip Santo's mask completely off and with help from Chamaco, Santo gets a chance to return the favor. Their masks are almost off yet still brawling with each other which is great. Fuerza would finally rip Santo's mask off as the other tecs had the other rudos pinned to end the match. Santo is fucking pissed after he recovers and rips off Fuerza's mask viciously then puts it on his head. Fans threw money in the ring afterwards in appreciation.This was lots of fun seeing young Santo & Fuerza battle it out

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This was a really good trios match, that exploded with the unmaskings at the end. Liked the variety in the match; Santito doing his thing, the comedy miscommunication spots, and the viciousness of the rudos towards the end. Would have liked to see more from Santito's partners though, as it seemed like they were just kinda making up the numbers.

• 2 months later...

I thought this match was a lot of fun, and every fall had a lot of good things going for it.  One great thing that hasn't been mentioned is Estrada choking an opponent with one knee, then the other, then the other, then the other, until the ref has to pull his hair to get him to stop.  The timing of Estrada's dropkick in the third fall as he fights off one of Santo's teammates during the unmasking attempt is great as well.  The post-match brawling seemed really out of control.  I loved the money tossing at the end and the kids running in the ring when the wrestlers left.  This match will do well in my rankings, probably a top 30 or so match.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, I had a whole review written and accidentally erased it. Oh well. The story behind this is totally Santo contra Fuerza though everyone else holds up their spot. Jerry bumps, Talisman stooges, the other two guys do sloppy ranas. Crowd is pretty quiet until Fuerza decides he's going to take Santo's mask completely off which isn't a common thing on this set, usually we get mask ripping but Fuerza wants the whole enchilada. The exchange of masks during the white-hot brawl at the end is the best part of the match. The second best part is the epic Fuerza Handshake that ends in a fucking hug right before the cheapshot. Also notable is the ring announcer who looks like a broke-ass Liberace. Payoffs must have been bad because Chamaco and Cachorra scramble for all the loot filling the ring (along with little kids in the crowd). Fair trios that was mostly a couple really cool parts strung together instead of an all-around great match. 

• 5 months later...

I have rewatched all of the first two discs again after a 9 month break. Most stuff remained the same with minor variances (Atlantis vs. Statanico no longer gets *****) but this was the match with the biggest jump as I think it is legitimately great now. I still think Santo’s partners are basically two live bodies but his revenge on Fuerza and going ape with his mask dangling was spectacular. Really showed a passion that is rare to find.

• 2 months later...

Really enjoyed the first fall. Fuerza Guerrera's short uppercut punches are a standout for a set that so far has not had a lot of guys throwing great looking strikes. Really liked the sequence with Talisman & Estrada stooging for Cachorro and the story of Guerrera not really wanting to lock up with Santo. Plus I always enjoy a good fake handshake so that's another thing that made me dig Guerrera. Finish was also pretty hot highlighted by Santo's dive off the apron.

I loved the sequence with Guerrera & Talisman stooging for Santo. Second fall is a lot more chaotic and less structured but that seems to be a running theme for the trios matches. Estrada continues to impress me by being a chickenshit but never going too over the top with it. Nothing like seeing the old ladies in the front row with a luchadore in their laps.

Shit really starts going off the rails as the rudos get Santo alone in the ring and try and take his mask off. Finally Valaguez manages to get in the ring to help and it's awesome seeing Santo firing punches with his mask completely untied and about to fall off his face. Santo is pissed and decides to return the favor by attemping to unmask Guerrera but decides to try and rip it off instead of wasting time with untying it. Pretty cool finish as Talisman & Estrada get pinned to end the third fall but Fuerza snatches off Santo's mask and Santo has to celebrate the end of the match with a jacket over his head. Liked this a whole bunch.