DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

Why don't they just have 2 other guys from Suzuki Gun face the Briscoes?

Oh wait, are the Guerillas of Destiny booked on this show yet?

~~~

Edited to add as for this weekend's syndicated show: If you're going to make a big deal out of tournaments, as in the Decade of Excellence required 3 wins for someone to get a title shot...

Spoiler

Telling the audience that Sonjay Dutt, a wrestler I can't recall ever having a match on TV in the Sinclair era, is getting a TV title match out of the blue next month...yeah that isn't exactly a good idea.

At least, I think that's who Ian said. Yeah, Kevin Kelly's absent at these tapings.

Spoiler

Per cagematch, Sonjay Dutt has been on ROH tv once in the Sinclair era.  That was 2013.  Prior to that, the last time he worked ROH was 2010.

Also noticed that Dutt has a 10 or 12 match losing streak in ROH (including a tag match and a pair of fatal four-ways).  Yeah, clearly he deserves a title shot.

• Like 1

My thoughts on this weeks episode:

Liked the the opening video package putting over Christopher Daniels winning the Decade of Excellence Tournament. Daniels vs Cole should be fun. We got a little under two weeks till the 15th Anniversary Show (I will be in attendance). I also enjoyed Christopher Daniels in ring promo. Daniels puts over how important this World Title shot is to him. Adam Cole comes off as a big deal too. The World Title is important to him as well. It's gonna be a shame to see him go. Both men come off good. Daniels is the aging veteran and Cole is the chicken shit heel, with Page jumping Daniels from behind.

Kararian makes the save setting up Daniels and Kazarian vs Cole and Page. Match starts off fast paced with two outside dives in the opening moments. Good double team spots from Page and Cole on Daniels. Kazarian and Daniels get their babyface spots on the heels. Cole counters Daniels Moonsault and gets the roll up pin for the win. Quick little back and fourth tag match. Post match they tease the Kazarian turn with Kaz being a little hot at Daniels. They also have a heated exchange backstage Kazarian doesn't think Daniels can pull it off at the Anniverasry Show.

Bobby Fish puts over his Title match with Cole next week at the Hammerstein. I want to see him get a Title run at some point this year. 

This years Top Prospect Tournament starts tonight with John Skyler vs Sean Carr. Bob Evans joins the commentators booth for this match. Both men cut pre recorded promos. Skyler is borrowing Fit Finlays old ring jacket. Pretty standard match starting off slow then heating up with some high spots. Both men had some impressive moves. Skyler almost took Carr's head of with a lariat. Carr had some devastating super kicks. Skylar hits Carr with an outside dive which is required for a ROH match. Skyler also hit a brutal spear on Carr on the apron. Skyler gets the win.

Kingdom cut a promo putting over their upcoming 6 man title defenses.

Tempura Boyz vs Motor City Machine Guns. MCMG never come out. They were attacked in the back. we go to break. Match never happens. Just to comment on what Zev said, I think the idea is that The ROH World Title holds a certain level of prestige where we have to earn the shot at it. Since Roddy's last run as with the TV Title, the Champion has defended against outside wrestlers and anyone can come in and challenge at any time and the Champions are fighting champions or at least that's what I feel the thought process is.

We get Manhattan Mayhem hype with some promos from Fish and Cole.

World Television Championship main event: Marty Scrull, the Champion vs Donovan Dijak, the challenger. This is Dijak's final ROH match. Fun Tv main event. So cool highspots. both men look like a million bucks. Nice final match for Dijak. Scrull of course picks up the win. I like Rush on the apron scouting the match, setting up his match at the Anniversary Show. I hop Rush wins.

Good hour of wrestling. 

• Like 2

Aighty, I'm starting the great trek through the autumn and winter ROH stuff in my backlog. The All Star Extravaganza Kamaitachi/Dragon Lee match is up there with their best encounters in Arena Mexico. Holy shit, that was insanity and smokes their New Japan encounter. Execution was off in a few moves, so close but not quite in terms of topping their classics.

The 4 way tag team match was so much fun too. PBK, Dalton, and War Machine are all sorts of awesome. 

The bits of Field of Honor shown on TV were pretty rough. Crowd wasn't really into it, or at least that's how it came off on TV, and the matches suffered as a result.

• Like 2

The problems with saying anyone can go after the TV title are:

1. It was Roddy vs. The World not too long ago, and you're reminding the viewers that "Mr. ROH" is gone.

2. Lethal was dual champion, and his reign(s) were to a point about elevating the TV title to where it was just as important as the Heavyweight belt. Now, saying that Silas Young or Beer City Bruiser won a qualifying match at a house show and gets a shot is fine, but having non-roster people getting shots, after hotshotting the belt involving people making their roster debuts, is just saying anyone can come in and take it.

~~~

But in a more positive notion, if I am remembering the finish of the Top Prospect match right, it was nice to see a top rope move that you think should get a 3 count not get kicked out of at Twoooooo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I'm excited cuz the Broken Harry's now could be the Briscoes mystery opponents

I thought the Briscoes needed new opponents because Harry Smith's regular partner was out with some sort of break already.

• Like 1

That was some amazingly subtle booking by ROH making Donovan Dijak look like the world's dumbest wrestler on the way out.  The match was fine, but Dijak going for a handshake THREE times only to have each one blow up in his face smacked of "Well we won't have him get squashed on the way out but we'll make him look really, really stupid."  Dijak works better as a heel, and Scurll works better as a face.  I still think Scurll does WAY too much schtick for my liking.  The goddamn spin move thing he does before the chickenwing is the dirt-worst.

I thought Ian Something did a decent job on commentary (I'm not going to learn his name until I know he's sticking around); not so sure about Brutal Bob.  

The opening tag was lots of fun, though Kazarian's freakout backstage didn't really make a lot of sense.

• Like 1

I got to say, after watching that never ending RevPro match with Scurll and ZSJ, I'm jaded with Marty. He's just annoying as fuck and not in a good way.

I don't know whether to post it here or in the New Japan thread, but I really really enjoyed night one of Honor Rising. Everything was fun except the co-main (Lethal/Shibata vs. Cody/Hangman) and the main event was fucking great. Omega & Cole started with stooging and schtick but got to the violence and it was spectacular. Briscoes got themselves known in one match too. 

7 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I got to say, after watching that never ending RevPro match with Scurll and ZSJ, I'm jaded with Marty. He's just annoying as fuck and not in a good way.

I haven't seen that, but there's good stuff there with Scurll.  Has a neat arsenal of moves, crisp and smooth in the ring, and the finger-breaking is great.  But in between all that there's the flapping his wings thing, the fake vomiting after breaking a guy's fingers, the stupid spin, the whoop-whoops.  It's just grating.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think he's gotten too cute for sure because he IS a good wrestler. I'd like to see a little more violence and a little less pandering. He's regressing whereas I think Ospreay is getting better all the time. There are still a lot of issues, but his facial reactions and ability to fill the gaps between his spots have come on leaps and bounds.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zev said:

Aren't the "whoop whoops" just him incorporating his theme music into his in ring carrying on?

It is, but when he's supposed to be acting villain-y and beating up a guy, stopping to flap his wings and shout "whoop whoop" really destroys that illusion.

Memo to Joe Koff: please kindly place a call to Cameron, NC and when the call gets answered at the Hardy compound tell them " We'll give you the exact same deal as the Young Bucks and all the creative freedom to do whatever the hell you want!".

5 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

I'm a little behind: where is Dijak going?

Probably to a that magical place where all wrestlers over 6'2" go.

I'm with @caley and @Oyaji on Scurll.  As it stands, "The Villain" is just a dumb, tongue in cheek act.  Is it supposed to be that?  Is he just supposed to be a goofy wrestler lampooning what we think of as a bad guy?  Because it's pretty awful.  I like him as a wrestler but a lot of the extraneous stuff misses the mark by a kilometer.

6 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

I'm a little behind: where is Dijak going?

Signed with Evolve...probably en route to WWE before too long.  Dunno know why ROH never really got behind him after the prospect tourney.  He could have had a fun run as TV champion, or a longer feud with Lethal over the world title.

• Like 1

Do you guys like Cole? He seems to me to be the definition of "meh," but maybe he'll grow on me or something. After the Japan shows, I'm excited for him to get the inevitable One-Winged Angel off the roof of a national guard armory somewhere and straight into the hands of the bland wrestler's paradise, the WWE.