DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

47 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Yes... and then the agents gave him shit for just ripping off Benoit in his matches IIRC. WWE logic 101 there. 

That's like telling Joe Hennig not to work like his dad, then having him work as Michael McGuillicutty because he doesn't work like a Hennig.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Just to backpack on that, why the fuck is he still (or ever was, for that matter) Curtis Axel? I know that trying to understand Vince and the writers is like doing a crossword puzzle in the dark, but god damn it, pal. 

Mr. Perfect's name name is Curtis and his grandfather is Larry "The Axe", so it's a tribute to them. His current ring name is the least of his problems. How a company can fuck up with the son of Mr. Perfect is beyond me. They let him cut a great babyface promo in Minneapolis, then promptly have him squashed by Bo Dallas, another second generation wrestler majorly squandered by the 'E.

To tie this into ROH, I could see Joe Hennig getting a New Japan/ROH run whenever he is done in WWE. Most likely, he'd end up in Bullet Club.

Was at TVs tonight. Fun night, although bell-to-bell (including the 2 Dark Matches prior to the tapings) almost ended up being 5 hours which is a bit much.

Ian Riccaboni handled all the Play-by-Play with Kevin Kelly gone. They literally rotated about 6-8 different Color Commentators(some episodes even having multiples) including Silas Young, Mark Briscoe, Alex Shelley, Chris Sabin, Christopher Daniels, Bobby Fish and Brutal Bob for all of the Top Prospect matches.

Here's the Major angles shot:

Spoiler

- To close out the final episode before the 15th Anniversary Show, Christopher Daniels confronted Adam Cole and attacked him, threatening to cut his hair. Frankie Kazarian came out to cheer on the haircut before then taking his sweatshirt off, revealing a Bullet Club shirt underneath. Kazarian and the Bullet Club then attacked Daniels, laying him out and reducing him to tears once he was finally helped to his feet by ROH officials. So Kazarian is in the Bullet Club now.

- After a wild, no-DQ tag which saw Punishment Martinez & BJ Whitmer beat War Machine, Martinez turned on Whitmer and laid him out.

- Rhett Titus either legitimately hurt his knee or they used that as a storyline to write him out of The Rebellion because later on in the night, as Caprice Coleman & Kenny King were attacking Lio Rush, Shane Taylor came out for the save but instead turned on Rush and joined The Rebellion(with Titus nowhere to be found)

- No titles changed hands. Marty Scurll beat Donovan Dijak in a good match to keep the TV Title in what might have been Dijak's swan song with ROH.

- First round Top Prospect winners were Josh "The Goods" Woods, Curt Stallion, "Kingpin" Brian Milonas and I think John Skyler went over Sean Carr(but I honestly forget this one). Chris Lerusso in his hometown got the biggest pop of the 8, but he put over Woods via worked KO/ref stoppage(Woods has an MMA gimmick)

- Pittsburgh native VIRGIL was in attendance in the crowd as a fan. At one point, he got a "Virgil!" chant which caused Bobby Cruise to look over to us, roll his eyes and say "I fucking hate that guy".  lol

- They announced a Friday, October 13th return to Pittsburgh. Didn't say if it would be TV, House Show or iPPV.

7 minutes ago, zev said:
  Hide contents

3 turns in one taping? Really?

Spoiler

Indeed. Although I'm not sure where they're going with the Martinez deal, especially with Sullivan gone. It didn't really feel like a babyface turn but it did get a pop since everyone hates Whitmer.

• Like 1

As if the Bullet Club needed more mid-carders.   So would he be the Brian Adams of this group.   

This company has become nothing more than a Young Bucks Appreciation Society that everyone has to be in.   It wouldn't surprise me if the briscoes join the Bullet Club in the next year or two.  Meanwhile great talent like Dijak and Elgin are off to better pastures.   They are lucky that TNA has been so stagnant

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

As if the Bullet Club needed more mid-carders.   So would he be the Brian Adams of this group.   

Running out of bullets, so they get a guy that Cuts Like A Knife?

Spoiler

Ok maybe Kazarian's an infiltrator that will eventually prevent the rest of BC from interfering in the title match that Christopher Daniels "can't possibly win" at the next PPV. That could work, I guess.

But Punishment turns? So Decade quietly implodes, no face group gets a real shine out of defeating them. Then the Whitmer-Corino feud ends with Corino doing one TV segment with Sullivan and his henchmen as if allied at last...only Sullivan and Corino are now gone, so there's no payoff to that feud?

• Like 1

So I watched this weeks episode of ROH Wrestling:

Ring of Honor brought to you from da motha ship

The tag match between Cody and Cole vs Lethal and Fish was really good. Cody has been on another level since leaving the WWE. He's a lot of fun to watch.

Kazarian cut a great promo on Chris Daniels' career winding down. Pretty foreshadowing.

Was cool to see Sal Rinauro back in ROH if even as a one off deal. Him and Mark had a fun little fast paced match. 

6 man main was alot fun. Castle is very over. I think they should pull the trigger and give him the World Title at Supercard of Honor.

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

This company has become nothing more than a Young Bucks Appreciation Society that everyone has to be in.   It wouldn't surprise me if the briscoes join the Bullet Club in the next year or two.  Meanwhile great talent like Dijak and Elgin are off to better pastures.   They are lucky that TNA has been so stagnant

70800356.jpg

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Outside of Omega and the Bucks, aren'kt they all the Brian Adams of the group?

Omega and the Bucks are Hogan, Hall, and Nash. I'd say Cole and Cody are Waltman and the Giant. The rest of Bullet Club might as well have the b-team theme. FWIW, I liked the b theme more than the main nWo theme.

Heat Of The Night is a far better Bryan Adams rock song than Summer of '69.

On 2/12/2017 at 11:08 AM, hammerva said:

Meanwhile great talent like Dijak and Elgin are off to better pastures.

I think it is pretty awesome that getting a gig in Japan is finally considered to be a better pasture.

London-Dragon 2/3 falls is one of my favorite matches ever and London is one of my favorites to watch. He's batshit crazy and bitter about his time in WWE but still a great wrestler.

I forgot to tape the weekend airing of ROH TV, so I had to catch one of the 10,000 replays the Fight Network aired and...I probably could have skipped it.  This was the very definition of a skippable show (Adam Page squash, Bullet Club-Lethal/Fish, M.Brisco squash, and a Rebellion-Dalton/Boys main event).  Highlight of the show was probably Silas Young's commentary where he said "Maybe the boys would fare better if they'd let me turn them into men", then Colt Cabana showed up and took over all the talking.  Also Frankie Kazarian did a decent promo but since

he's turning on Daniels

the whole thing really served absolutely no purpose.  Actually, this whole show served no purpose.  Dalton looked weaker going into his world title match by being unable to defeat a bad team like the Rebellion, who got absolutely no rub from beating two guys who aren't even regular wrestlers, which is especially silly since it looks like they're being put into a feud for the 6 man titles though spoilers may seem to contradict that.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:47 PM, Web Conn said:

More dates

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:09 PM, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

More money.

Oh, I'm not saying that I don't agree.  It is just refreshing to see people throwing off the yoke of the Any US Fed > Japanese Fed mentality.