DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

My solution was to leave after the 1 match i wanted to see, which was nicely the first match on the show. I was home in time to watch the start of whatever game of the world series was played later that night.

The bookers got hip to that when they ran in Detroit when I was stationed at TACOM.  Kota Ibushi, Motor City Machine Guns, Steenerico, or The Briscoes usually were in the main event when they came to Detroit because they were huge draws at the time.

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

When i saw ROH in philly in 2008 or so, they put Quack/Danielson right before intermission, so i only had to sit thru half the show.

Why was that not the co main? I would've been tempted to leave after that match, too.

18 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Why was that not the co main? I would've been tempted to leave after that match, too.

Zero chance you would have left because the next two matches were Steen/Jay Briscoe and Morishima/Brent Albright 

40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Zero chance you would have left because the next two matches were Steen/Jay Briscoe and Morishima/Brent Albright 

Oh, there is no fucking way I would've missed that shit, especially Morishima/Albright.

I'll bet that Jay bumping for Kevin Steen's fatboy offense was probably fun, too.

The main was Davey Richards/Matt Sydal/Rocky Romero/Roderick Strong vs. Austin Aries/Delirious/Erick Stevens/Matt Cross in a street fight.

I would have been halfway down the 95 turnpike by the time that ended

13 hours ago, caley said:

I never thought I'd say this but I am 100% into BJ Whitmer matches now that he wears his white beach wear and has hoss matches with Punishment Martinez against War Machine.  I'd watch that stuff all day!

There's something wonderful about out-of-control War Machine matches.  Not to discredit BJ or Punishment (who is a damn monster) but their wild brawls have been great.  Be it against Briscoes, Taylor/Lee or now BJ/Punishment War Machine just bring the awesomeness in these kinds of matches.  Which is why I'm sad that Rowe apparently is leaving ROH.

And I'm delighted by the 2pm bell time.  Catch the show and go somewhere on a (hopefully) nice April night?  Yes, please.

• Like 1

Thanks to the Super Bowl, as well as playing Dota 2 with my tv still on in the background, I discovered that my Fox station now airs Ring of Honor at about 12:30 am early Monday morning. So now that I get ROH, I might as well watch it.

So what are the current storylines and what should I be aware of? Why did Colt randomly attack those dudes and call Kevin Kelly a dick? Is Colt a heel? How is Donovan Dijak in ROH and not at the WWE PC? Dude has the body WWE wants and appears athletic, if a bit on the clumsy side. Is he worth watching more of?

23 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Yeah, I don't get that.  Unless the main event is Davey Richards vs Colt Cabana in a 60-minute iron man match, if I pay for a ticket, I'm staying till the end.  To each his own, I guess.

I'd be all in for a Richards-Cabana ironman match.  No lie

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The main was Davey Richards/Matt Sydal/Rocky Romero/Roderick Strong vs. Austin Aries/Delirious/Erick Stevens/Matt Cross in a street fight.

Oh... yeah.  Faction warfare.  I guess this might be me during the main:

giphy.gif

48 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Thanks to the Super Bowl, as well as playing Dota 2 with my tv still on in the background, I discovered that my Fox station now airs Ring of Honor at about 12:30 am early Monday morning. So now that I get ROH, I might as well watch it.

So what are the current storylines and what should I be aware of? Why did Colt randomly attack those dudes and call Kevin Kelly a dick? Is Colt a heel? How is Donovan Dijak in ROH and not at the WWE PC? Dude has the body WWE wants and appears athletic, if a bit on the clumsy side. Is he worth watching more of?

Colt is a heel. He turned on Dalton Castle (who he was teaming with) a couple months ago. Colt now has the jaded veteran gimmick.

The main storyline is NWO Lite, err, Bullet Club, has the World Heavy and World Tag titles. And well, there's folks that don't like that.

Top Prospect Tourney will probably take up a segment or two in the weeks to come. Yes, some of them will be folks that have been in the biz for over a decade.

And then there's the Decade of Excellence tourney. Winner gets a World Title shot.

If you go to rohwrestling.com right now, you should be still able to see the episode from two weekends ago. I think they put the most recent syndicated shows up on Thursdays.

So since this hasn't been posted I will post it.

Dijak will probably be gone after this week.  He is working Evolve teaming with Elgin to go after the tag titles on the March 30th show.

I will be at the Pittsburgh show this weekend and will be odd seeing no Kelly, no Corino, no Nigel, and possibly Dijak's final ROH match.

46 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

So since this hasn't been posted I will post it.

Dijak will probably be gone after this week.  He is working Evolve teaming with Elgin to go after the tag titles on the March 30th show.

I will be at the Pittsburgh show this weekend and will be odd seeing no Kelly, no Corino, no Nigel, and possibly Dijak's final ROH match.

Will be there too. Should be a decent night regardless. First TV in awhile in Pittsburgh.

39 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I'm excited for it. I leave at 5 am for a cruise but there was no way in hell I was missing ROH TV.  I am pretty let down because originally they tweeted Osprey would be there and now he obviously isn't.  I think the 8 man tag will be a fun main event though.

Yeah, they still have the original article up on website about Ospreay being in Pittsburgh. Oh well.

I wonder how many weeks they are taping. Been to ROH TV's that lasted 4-4.5 hours.

On 2/5/2017 at 8:36 PM, RIPPA said:

...and it was a hell of a fun street fight

But, to each his own.

23 hours ago, caley said:

I never thought I'd say this but I am 100% into BJ Whitmer matches now that he wears his white beach wear and has hoss matches with Punishment Martinez against War Machine.  I'd watch that stuff all day!

BJ Whitmer taking over Mike Davis's Dream gimmick in the new Army of Darkness has been pretty fun.  His style may not be attention grabbing but he's a solid tag worker.  He was borderline mythic during the Jimmy Loves Lacey era.

I am almost bummed that Rosemary is in TNA because Courtney Rush would be perfect for Sullivan's new stable in RoH.

On 2/5/2017 at 8:36 PM, RIPPA said:

Oy. There sure are a lot of guys I am not crazy aboiut in that match.

Okay, so Dalton Castle came out after The Kingdom's match and issued a challenge where the Boys teased a turn and then softly punched Dalton in the face to no effect.. 

Is DC going to challenge for the Six Man belts with The Boys actually working a match or is this just a joke?