DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

On 11/20/2017 at 4:35 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Heel Briscoes are a lot of fun. See their 2006 work against Aries & Strong, and their part in Homicide's road to the title, which also involved Jim Cornette, Steve Corino, Adam Pearce, and Samoa Joe.

*starts desperately rummaging through disorganized physical media collection*

• Haha 1

On 11/19/2017 at 9:34 AM, Oyaji said:

ROH's business model is confusing. They have their halfassed ringside membership and yet do all of these big, and as far as I'm aware, untelevised shows with blow off matches and flaming tables and Green Arrow wrestling and Kenny Omega. Why? Why not put that stuff up on your ringside membership?! And then they do these overpriced VODs, which are basically iPPVs. I don't get it. And just checking out the ringside membership deal, it looks like you don't even get the old archive going way back to the early days of the company. 

Yeah ths makes zero sense. You make a deal to bring in a guy who has a major social media presence (almost 5.5 million facebook followers, well over 2 million on twitter and over 4.5 million on Instagram) in addition to being the star of a popular TV show, and you put him on an untelevised house show? At the very least they should have made it an iPPV. If even 1% of just his facebook followers thought "Hmm. I'll spend 20 bucks to see the Green Arrow wrestle" that's an additional 55,000 buys on top of your normal buying audience. 

• Like 1

Maybe the CW wouldn't let one of their stars appear on another network's show, even if it was an iPPV, but Amell wanted to do it anyway. Seems to me this is mostly something he wants to do and ROH is letting him (and profiting in the process), not them bringing him in.

On 24/11/2017 at 12:44 AM, Godfrey said:

Maybe the CW wouldn't let one of their stars appear on another network's show, even if it was an iPPV, but Amell wanted to do it anyway. Seems to me this is mostly something he wants to do and ROH is letting him (and profiting in the process), not them bringing him in.

This.

It's pretty clear at this point that Amell would wrestle full time if he wasn't contracted to Arrow. 

Big Dave had a blurb on his site saying Amell's shirt is the top seller on Pro Wrestling Tees, so he's getting that benefit at least. Guy is a freak athlete so if he ever does get to do more matches, I'd be down. 

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 5:18 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Between NJPW and ROH, I see so much of War Machine man.

I am not sure if that is a bad thing. 

The triple threat tag team matches from NJPW Destruction in Hiroshima (who is the moron that thought that was a good name for a card in Hiroshima?) and NJPW Destruction in Kobe were entertaining outings and War Machine looked pretty impressive.

13 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I am not sure if that is a bad thing. 

The triple threat tag team matches from NJPW Destruction in Hiroshima (who is the moron that thought that was a good name for a card in Hiroshima?) and NJPW Destruction in Kobe were entertaining outings and War Machine looked pretty impressive.

They aren't bad... But it's weird that they are the guys I see nearly every single week.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

They aren't bad... But it's weird that they are the guys I see nearly every single week.

I hear ya, though.  I love watching them in matches, but I could see getting a bit disenchanted with them.  It's like hating a song you used to like after it gets popular and you hear it on the radio a billion times a day.

If they do not put the belt on Castle, I totally support a Stephen Amell title run.

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I was expecting the title change until they announced Cody defending the belt 1/4

Fwiw (probably not much) they did make clear Cody/Ibushi would happen even if he lost the belt. Not much of a lampshade though, you're right.

I could see Cody losing to Dalton BECAUSE he needs to lose to Ibushi at the Dome. Gotta assume that Ibushi vs Omega is on tap for the early part of 2018. 

I should start watching ROH TV but it seems so inessential. I love the big shows and, obviously, watch enough New Japan to get my fix of the top stars but it sounds like the show is solid booking. 

I really liked the Briscoe's showing up the Bully Ray's wrestling school and throwing pictures against to wall and beating up students. Heel Briscoe's are the best Briscoe's.

And Caprice Coleman interviewing himself on Coleman's Pulpit was great, they did the split screen and everything. Coleman should interview himself every week.

• Like 1