DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

21 minutes ago, caley said:

It's kinda fascinating who many times ROH has had a guy go out in the first round, only to heavily use them later: Dalton Castle in 2015, Cheeseburger in 2014, Adam Page and ACH in 2013, and future World Champion Adam Cole in 2011.

Shit, now you have me looking through the history of the Top Prospect Tournament to see what other randos were in it in various years.

QT Marshall.   What ever happened to that guy?  He was garbage and I couldn't believe he was pushed as a member of the House of Truth for a while.  Chubby, balding, old-looking for his age and not in that cool, Arn Anderson way.  He did have a sweet robe but you combined that with the rest of his look and you got every mid-90s east coast indy weekend warrior ever.

I always enjoyed Tadarious Thomas but I believe he retied from wrestling.

Why do I keep thinking J. Diesel and Will Ferrara are the same person?

LOL Brian Fury.  When you take your wrestling name from a Tekken character, it's time to rethink things.  Also, "Fury" is up there with "Storm" in the category "wrestling surnames that need to be retired yesterday."

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

If they were smart.

I think that would depend on PQ's willingness to travel.  For a while there, he didn't wrestle too far away from his home in Gloucester, VA because he wanted to stay close to family.

Can't say that I blame him.

21 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I didn't hate the Hardys-Briscoes, but it did remind me why I didn't vote for the Hardys in March Madness.

And how is it possible Jeff moves around the ring better than Matt?  Jeff should be held together with string and crazy glue at this point.

Matt's got his fucked up jimmylegs, which have degraded over time. Meanwhile. Jeff got surgery a year or so ago.

51 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I think that would depend on PQ's willingness to travel.  For a while there, he didn't wrestle too far away from his home in Gloucester, VA because he wanted to stay close to family.

Can't say that I blame him.

ROH's travel schedule its bad at all comparatively. It's what maybe two weeks a month and just Friday, Saturday. Still leaves plenty of time for family and Virginia indies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dewar said:

QT Marshall is hosting a seminar during Mania weekend in Orlando, so he is probably still wrestling. He did have an amazing robe though. :)

Qt is also on NXT TV this week vs heavy machinery

47 minutes ago, nate said:

He's lucky he didn't get put on ... a list.

Reminds me of that story in Jericho's book about Mexican customs guys wearing his belt when he worked in Mexico and dancing around and Jericho getting mad and yelling at them, at which point he felt a hand on his shoulder and turned around and shoved a woman working for Airport security to the ground, then the other guys drawing guns before they heard a loud "WHAT'S GOING ON DERE?" and Haku/Meng/Tonga showed up and he and Jericho stood back-to-back ready to battle airport security in Mexico.  Ultimately, they had to bribe the guards to let them go.

Also, for a TV main event with your World Champion, #1 contender for the WC, #1 contedner for the TV title, #1 contenders for the Tag Titles and former WC, there was a LOT of schtick in that match: the extended triple dive with the boys interrupting, the repeating brainbuster spot, etc. etc.  It was fun, and the right guy got the pinfall.

I really dug that Hardyz-Briscoes match, though, maybe cuz it was largely schtick-free.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, caley said:

Reminds me of that story in Jericho's book about Mexican customs guys wearing his belt when he worked in Mexico and dancing around and Jericho getting mad and yelling at them, at which point he felt a hand on his shoulder and turned around and shoved a woman working for Airport security to the ground, then the other guys drawing guns before they heard a loud "WHAT'S GOING ON DERE?" and Haku/Meng/Tonga showed up and he and Jericho stood back-to-back ready to battle airport security in Mexico.  Ultimately, they had to bribe the guards to let them go.

I'm kinda sad this incident took place before Meng grew his power afro.  Puffy-haired Meng is about the only thing that could make the story better.

Briscoes and Bully vs. Bullet Club at Supercard has even more significance than I realized.

I totally brain farted that Tama Tonga and Tanga Roa are alumni of the Tean 3D Wrestling Academy.

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎28 at 10:59 AM, Technico Support said:

Shit, now you have me looking through the history of the Top Prospect Tournament to see what other randos were in it in various years.

LOL Brian Fury...

But Brian Fury had been around nearly 20 years before he was in the "Top Prospect" tournament and made it to the finals...so he probably had the "Fury" moniker before a lot of other guys did.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Briscoes and Bully vs. Bullet Club at Supercard has even more significance than I realized.

I totally brain farted that Tama Tonga and Tanga Roa are alumni of the Tean 3D Wrestling Academy.

Finding that out made me much more interested in the match, that's for sure.  That's sure to be a good one.  And the show itself looks awesome on paper so I'm definitely looking forward to this.

Guest Edwin

Sitting here and so far the card has sucked imo.

I'm just not seeing why I should realistically care for any of these matches so far.

By far the worse event I've been to WM weekend so far. Hopefully the remaining matches change things around.

Edit: That didn't really change. The ladder match was cool, but nothing really special.

I loved that DB Smith-Ray Rowe match this week on ROH TV.  Smith looked like a monster and that spot where he slammed Rowe's leg onto the table was really neat.  Thought for sure that Smith would go over and it would make him as a new contender in ROH, but, no.

Yeah but that wouldn't be good for the industry. The McMahon family obviously aren't students of history. Empires crumble. I also said Flo Skam cause they made a sizable offer to Sinclair to purchase ROH and Sinclair said no.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Are Candice and Jessicka Havok still around for Women of Honor? Are they still building around Mandy Leon?

They don't even bother to post 1 new Women's match on YouTube anymore. The only real build has been Klein's win streak, except I think Mandy and Taeler had a brief feud. Brief as in one a handful of backstage vignettes and 1 or 2 matches.  I think Candice, Jessica, Solo Darling and others not currently in the ROH dojo/school are only brought in on rare occasion.