DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

Depends on each wrestlers personal situation (pay vs. time away from home, etc.). Even AJ admitted on the Austin podcast that the was thinking about going back to TNA before WWE called because he didn't like being away from his family as much.

On 2/9/2017 at 4:37 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's always good to hear when somebody can get out with their health. Albright's only 38, so hopefully he has a long, happy life ahead of him.

I was a huge Albright fan. I was probably the only person that owned Albright's Gun for Hire shirt. I could watch him Awesome bomb Shane Hagadorn through a table all day and never get tired of it.

Man, I *loved* Albright during his RoH run. He was tremendous in the ring, but I thought surprisingly charismatic, too. There's a Colt Cabana segment co-hosted by Albright and I found him much funnier than Colt. 

Final Battle '08 features a run-in from the American Wolves (it might have been when they first debuted) as part of Larry Sweeney's stable. Albright begs Cary Silkin for a Cage Warfare match, and his selling both of asking for it and getting it are tremendous. I really thought he was looking primed for a return to WWE, but I'm glad he's having successful out of the business. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

Man, I *loved* Albright during his RoH run. He was tremendous in the ring, but I thought surprisingly charismatic, too. There's a Colt Cabana segment co-hosted by Albright and I found him much funnier than Colt. 

Final Battle '08 features a run-in from the American Wolves (it might have been when they first debuted) as part of Larry Sweeney's stable. Albright begs Cary Silkin for a Cage Warfare match, and his selling both of asking for it and getting it are tremendous. I really thought he was looking primed for a return to WWE, but I'm glad he's having successful out of the business. 

I'm pretty sure Final Battle '08 was the ROH debut of the American Wolves as part of Sweet & Sour Inc. I should know, I was there.

• Like 1

Thoughts on this weekends show:

Silas vs James was a fun opener. Silas is really strong getting James up for the Misery. I would like to see Silas and Bruiser find a third man and get a run with the Trios Title, they should win them at SCOH and then lose them a week later at the TV Tapings.

Jay Briscoe cut an awesome promo as always

The Bobby Fish video package was good. Fish deserves a ROH World Title reign sooner rather than later. Like at Best in the World. He's gonna get picked up by the WWE, especially if the Cruiser Division takes off they could used a ground based guy to counter all the high flying stuff.

Colt Cabana vs the Boys. I know some of you on the board do not like Cabana as a wrestler. I do. I like Colts heel work in ROH. The handicap match did what is was suppose to do, further the Colt-Castle feud. The blowoff match must be at Manhattan Mayhem cuz Dalton and The Boys are challenging for the Trios Title at the Anniversary Show.

Christopher Daniels cut an intense passion filled promo, I want to see him win the World Title at the Anniversary Show (then lose it to Catle at SCOH).

Christopher Daniels vs Jay Briscoe was a tremendous back and forth. Started off slow but once it picked up it got good. Some crazy outside dives from both men. Kazarian and Mark on commentary was a nice touch. Both men brought an inside prospective of Jay's and Daniels mind sets coming into this match. That them leaving the booth and going into their respective corners to support their brother/partner was a cool piece of the match. That Super Angel Wings off the middle rope was an awesome way to end the match.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Technically old but fuck it

That's a helluva promo.  Dude should be in WWE right now.  I mean, I know they'd never let him talk like that about top guys, but imagine Jay Briscoe telling John Cena "You dogfood!" and I'm not even the HUGEST Jay Briscoe fan.

I hope they bring in an outside tag team for this. First team that comes to my mind for some reason is the Rock n Roll Express. I think mostly for how hungover Ricky Morton would be in Vegas. I can't think of another outside team on the Indies that I'd like to see who isn't with WWN.

Was there anything specific that happened with Homicide that caused him to fall off the face of the earth in terms of being a "name" indy guy? It just feels weird that someone that was so synonymous with the glory days of Ring of Honor is relegated to working CZW and random New York/Jersey Indies while his peers during that era have either gone on to WWE success or circled back to being ROH mainstays seemingly for life.

3 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Was there anything specific that happened with Homicide that caused him to fall off the face of the earth in terms of being a "name" indy guy? It just feels weird that someone that was so synonymous with the glory days of Ring of Honor is relegated to working CZW and random New York/Jersey Indies while his peers during that era have either gone on to WWE success or circled back to being ROH mainstays seemingly for life.

TNA seemingly kinda ruined him. Homicide had that aura about him that was just so strong in RoH. And he just.... doesn't have that anymore. It's a weird thing. They tried bringing him back to RoH, and nobody gave a shit. 

• Like 1

Him and Eddie Kingstons tag team didn't go over well and they got released over fighting with fans at the Hammerstein, but you don't think LAX vs Briscoes would garner a reaction from the fanbase? I know Homicide and Hernandez arent as big as they were ten years ago but I think a one time reunion against the Brisceos would be cool. Maybe I'm in the lone minority.

15 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Him and Eddie Kingstons tag team didn't go over well and they got released over fighting with fans at the Hammerstein, but you don't think LAX vs Briscoes would garner a reaction from the fanbase? I know Homicide and Hernandez arent as big as they were ten years ago but I think a one time reunion against the Brisceos would be cool. Maybe I'm in the lone minority.

I would love to see that because you know they can bring the goods in that.  I think what hurt them in ROH was the weird gimmick they were going for with the masks.  If they were doing it like they were I think they would have fared a lot better.  And can Kingston even do ROH since he's with TNA?  Not sure the legalities on that one considering they both have TV.

EDIT:  I was referring to Homicide/Kingston, but if we're talking LAX I soured on Hernandez quickly after his time in LU.  It wasn't all his fault, but he definitely screwed himself over after claiming he was done with LU while in TNA.