DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

There was no All-Star Extravaganza this year. I'd like to see ROH do something crazy like do a All-Star Extravaganza in the Pacific Northwest; Portland, Seattle and Vancouver.  Friday, Saturday, Sunday. January 12th, 13th and 14th. Just do the loop Portland on Friday, Seattle on Saturday and Vancouver on Sunday. Seattle is expensive but they can go to Tacoma or Federal way who are like 30 or 40 minutes south of Seattle and there's buildings they could run. And they could bring in Omega to the Vancouver show to draw well. 

Another crazy fucking idea; Yakima, Washington is centrally located in the state it's about around a 2 or 2 1/2 hour drive from Seattle has a very large Hispanic population. I believe I heard that 43% of the population out there is Hispanic. There's been a few Lucha shows with Rey Mysterio headlining over the past couple years. If ROH could get a bunch of CMLL talent to come out and then get the BC of The Young Bucks, Cody and Omega on the show plus the normal names of Dalton Castle, Jay Lethal, The Briscoes etc. I think they could draw a pretty good house out there. You put Kenny Omega on the show and I think you could get a decent amount of people to make the drive from the Greater Seattle Area to Yakima. 

If they do put the title on Dalton Castle at Final Battle, which I think they should do, then run Dalton Castle defending the World Championship against Kenny Omega as the Main Event, they could get a decent crowd. I don't know CMLL at all and who is who and who to bring in but someone does. I just remembered that you gotta cross the pass to get to Yakima from Seattle and January there is a lot of show. I would say that they should run the seattle area in January and then when they don't run as much in the Summer of like July and August they should run in Yakima and have a ton of CMLL talent on it.

I also think that they should have still run Field of Honor in August even though they couldn't get into Brooklyn. I think they should run in El Paso, there's a minor league stadium there. Run the El Paso stadium with CMLL talent and the usual gamut of wrestlers, El Paso is a wrestling town all they need a strong card and they can draw. They like to go to these indie wrestling hipster markets running with New Japan but I think they should run new markets for them but that a strong wrestling markets that are known for it's Lucha presence and run with CMLL talent.

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:05 PM, mattdangerously said:

Has Rhett Titus ever had a gimmick that wasn't completely terrible?

What are you babbling about?  I have never seen Rhett Titus work a gimmick where I didn't want to see someone beat the living shit out of him.  I always tuned in hoping to see Rhett get his ass beat.

All of those gimmicks from a certain perspective, were very successful.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:00 PM, mattdangerously said:

Okay, the ending to MCMG vs War Machine was unbelievably fucking stupid.  Just what the hell was the Addiction's plan there?

Yeah, if their plan was to get MCMG and WM to call a truce and settle their differences after destroying the Addiction, then plan was successful..

1 hour ago, Marty Sugar said:

Isn't The Addiction's deal that they are angry/jealous and ruining everything in ROH?

Yep, and it's the type of gimmick that gets X-Pac heat these days. The only person who successfully pulled off the "wreck the fan's enjoyment of the show" gimmick was Cactus Jack, and that was because of A: possibly the greatest series of promos in the history of wrestling and B: it was freaking Cactus Jack.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

Isn't The Addiction's deal that they are angry/jealous and ruining everything in ROH?

Yes, but from a kayfabe perspective, there are probably less painful ways of doing it than running in during a match and spraying a couple of hosses with silly string.  That's just going to end poorly.

Just saw a Simon Grimm promo video and he's being pushed as this technical wrestler, yet he's also shown as a BJJ white belt in the same video... Embarrassing.

9 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I wonder if they're gonna book a singles match vs Cody, or if it'll be a tag/6 man

I was thinking the samething. They're gonna set it up in San Antonio but the actual match wouldn't take place until SuperCard of Honor when ROH has the most eyes on them. I also think Cody shows up again on Arrow this season.

Read in the Observer that Anthem has actually had the nerve to contact ROH to try and work with them. After the stunt they pulled sending the legal letter to Dish that caused them to pull an ROH PPV the response to them should be eat shit and die unless they want to cut a check to pay for those lost buys. Seriously that was like the scummiest thing they could've done, now they want to be all nice because ROH is on fire and impact couldn't draw flies with a pile of shit.

On 11/10/2017 at 12:35 PM, sabremike said:

Read in the Observer that Anthem has actually had the nerve to contact ROH to try and work with them. After the stunt they pulled sending the legal letter to Dish that caused them to pull an ROH PPV the response to them should be eat shit and die unless they want to cut a check to pay for those lost buys. Seriously that was like the scummiest thing they could've done, now they want to be all nice because ROH is on fire and impact couldn't draw flies with a pile of shit.

ROH is on fire?  I thought they have been on a treadmill since... forever?

I actually really liked the Briscoe-King deal this week.  I somehow was not expecting it at all despite

Jay Briscoe carrying a towel on his shoulder for the first/only time ever

I'm basically your perfect dupe/mark.  I'm okay with that.

16 hours ago, Goodear said:

ROH is on fire?  I thought they have been on a treadmill since... forever?

They are easily doing the best business wise in company history right now because of the NJPW agreement.

On 11/14/2017 at 1:29 AM, caley said:

I actually really liked the Briscoe-King deal this week.  I somehow was not expecting it at all despite

Hide contents

Jay Briscoe carrying a towel on his shoulder for the first/only time ever

I'm basically your perfect dupe/mark.  I'm okay with that.

I was expecting it, but not the doing it when it was done.  That was something I didn't expect.