DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

15 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I'm with you Eddie. For Cody's heel persona it works and I'm all for it, but as an actual thing going forward its dumb. Terry Funk ain't wore no ring.

It is awesome in the Heel Cody things that belts suck because they obstruct the view of his abs way, but rasslin' needs title straps.

I just think this needs to be said: the guy on The Kingdom using an axe as a weapon is the stupidest thing in all of wrestling today. Why not just have him come out with a revolver while you're at it? Seriously I can't believe that something this stupid was OK'ed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Well, we have already had Jason the Terrible, Leatherface, Super Leather, Mr. Pogo, and Chainsaw Charlie (even if Whalen made Karl Moffat eventually come out with just an axehandle IIRC). And don't forget the stupid sledgehammer. There's precedence for this even if its ridiculous.

There was also Billy Jack Haynes in WCW as Black Blood, who came to the ring with an axe.

358bbe848588845dffc13b7a836acdfa797b34f1

Yeah, except it's a "sickle" that he bought at the Japanese Spirit of Halloween.

Personally I think bringing a real axe to the ring even if you can't use it is preferable to that

BTW, how did Billy Jack get away with coming out with an axe in a company that was so stuck-up that they wouldn't even let there be blood OR dirt on the aprons of Sullivan's Slaughterhouse?

6 hours ago, sabremike said:

I just think this needs to be said: the guy on The Kingdom using an axe as a weapon is the stupidest thing in all of wrestling today. Why not just have him come out with a revolver while you're at it? Seriously I can't believe that something this stupid was OK'ed.

I wholeheartedly agree.  It's a cool visual with the hockey mask (Though does not fit in AT ALL with the Kingdom's aesthetic of unthreatening weirdos to have one guy cosplaying 'Friday the 13th') but it's so stupid that he carries it to the ring, attempts to "use" it.

And the sledgehammer shot by Triple H is stupid, too, because nobody in a fight would swing the sledgehammer the way he has to to prevent injury.  It's one of those things where if it can't be used properly, it shouldn't be used at all.

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

358bbe848588845dffc13b7a836acdfa797b34f1

Yeah, except it's a "sickle" that he bought at the Japanese Spirit of Halloween.

Personally I think bringing a real axe to the ring even if you can't use it is preferable to that

BTW, how did Billy Jack get away with coming out with an axe in a company that was so stuck-up that they wouldn't even let there be blood OR dirt on the aprons of Sullivan's Slaughterhouse?

Billy Jack's axe was probably plastic. The thought of bat shit crazy Billy Jack Haynes with a real axe is fucking scary.

Goddammit.  Minoru Suzuki is going to make me see ROH live for the first time.  Seeing as how I struggled to get through it on PPV (the one where Cody won the title) I can't imagine how this will be in Vegas.  But hey, drinks.  And Suzuki might actually kill someone, right in front of my eyes.

5 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Goddammit.  Minoru Suzuki is going to make me see ROH live for the first time.  Seeing as how I struggled to get through it on PPV (the one where Cody won the title) I can't imagine how this will be in Vegas.  But hey, drinks.  And Suzuki might actually kill someone, right in front of my eyes.

You picked a really bad starting point if you waited until Cody winning the title. Anything Gabe did would have been a better starting point.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You picked a really bad starting point if you waited until Cody winning the title. Anything Gabe did would have been a better starting point.

Oh, no, I've been watching infrequently off and on since the beginning.  That PPV was just the first ROH show I'd watched front-to-back in years.

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Marty Scurll is fucking intolerable on commentary.

He makes the mistake a lot of newcomer heel commentators do and that is praise every thing the villains do while trashing everything the faces do.  Ventura, Heenan, Graves, etc. never did that.  They would pick their spots.  But if you start ranting "He can't do that!" about using a palm strike, you just look like an idiot.  Now if he'd said something like "That wasn't a palm strike, it was a closed fist" than it would make more sense.  But if you just shout at everything the faces do while protecting everything the faces do, it just sounds bad.  

Though I have to admit, for a guy I haven't had much time for since he made his way to ROH, I really loved him dancing the GOD's music with Riccaboni corpsing in the background.