DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

I think ROH is going in a good direction right now. Even if Dalton doesn't win at Final Battle, they're set up to keep the feud running. I actually care about Flip Gordon/ Bullet Club. I kinda wish they'd do more with Silas but he's in a good spot.

Also, is Mark kin to Wolverine or something? I'm shocked he can do stuff considering what happened to his elbow.

22 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

I think ROH is going in a good direction right now. Even if Dalton doesn't win at Final Battle, they're set up to keep the feud running. I actually care about Flip Gordon/ Bullet Club. I kinda wish they'd do more with Silas but he's in a good spot.

Also, is Mark kin to Wolverine or something? I'm shocked he can do stuff considering what happened to his elbow.

So you're saying the Briscoes are mutants?

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:43 PM, sabremike said:

So you're saying the Briscoes are mutants?

Mutants like The X-Men? No.

winter-variant-briscoes.jpg?w=650&qualit

Mutants like the inbred radvics from The Hills Have Eyes?  Yes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/24/2017 at 10:32 AM, RIPPA said:

I still don't understand how Mark is able to basically move his arm already after how fucked up his elbow was

Terry Funk ain't wear no elbowpad

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm not one to carp about things but something on the show this week annoyed me. In the MCMG-Kingdom match they did a thing where axe guy brought his axe into the ring (The axe gimmick is absurd but whatever). He did it to distract the ref so his partner could use a bat as a weapon. When the ref's back was turned they did a sequence that ended where TK hit axe guy in the head with the end of the bat. MCMG then threw TK out of the ring. Here's where it got stupid: less than 30 seconds after getting brained with a bat axe guy gets to his feet so he can take the finisher. He just got hit with a freaking bat and he's up seconds later. Again I have a high tolerance for stuff but that was just too much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

I'm not one to carp about things but something on the show this week annoyed me. In the MCMG-Kingdom match they did a thing where axe guy brought his axe into the ring (The axe gimmick is absurd but whatever). He did it to distract the ref so his partner could use a bat as a weapon. When the ref's back was turned they did a sequence that ended where TK hit axe guy in the head with the end of the bat. MCMG then threw TK out of the ring. Here's where it got stupid: less than 30 seconds after getting brained with a bat axe guy gets to his feet so he can take the finisher. He just got hit with a freaking bat and he's up seconds later. Again I have a high tolerance for stuff but that was just too much.

TK must not have hit Vinny the axe man with the sweet spot of the bat. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nate said:

Great, now "I'm an AXE MAN! *dunh dunh!*/ Yeah I'm an AXE MAN! ..." is stuck in my head.  That's an earworm I didn't deserve.

You can always remedy that with "Here comes the ax. Here comes the smasher. The Demolition, walking disaster. Pain and destruction are our middle names."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2017 at 5:02 PM, sabremike said:

Just to add to it, TK hit him with a bat in a way that no one would ever hit anyone with a bat (holding it with two hands and bumping his opponent with the top of the bat, a la Triple H's sledgehammer shots).  The entire scenario was so stupid, a guy bringing an axe into the ring to distract the referee so his opponent could hit him with a bat.  In what universe would a "psychopath" distract a ref so his opponent could use the much less lethal weapon.  It would be like a movie character distracting someone with a gun so his partner could hit him with a pillow.  

Also, Matt Taven wasn't even in the match, so why did TK and Marseglia have to be protected from a clean loss from the freakin' tag team champions?!  There's the Bucks, War Machine, Best Friends, Addiction all above TK/Marseglia in the pecking order, and MCMG don't win clean and easy over these two?!  Dear Lord, they're going to need a nuclear bomb to be competitive against War Machine.

The whole thing greatly annoyed me, too and almost undid the goodwill a very awesome Briscoes trashing the Dudleyz wrestling school segment did for me with its stupidity.

18 hours ago, caley said:

Also, Matt Taven wasn't even in the match, so why did TK and Marseglia have to be protected from a clean loss from the freakin' tag team champions?!  There's the Bucks, War Machine, Best Friends, Addiction all above TK/Marseglia in the pecking order, and MCMG don't win clean and easy over these two?!  Dear Lord, they're going to need a nuclear bomb to be competitive against War Machine.

It's matches like these, and wrestlers like the MCMGs especially, that make me dislike ROH. If every match is some wannabe-epic with a million bits of dumb shit...ugh.

20 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

It's matches like these, and wrestlers like the MCMGs especially, that make me dislike ROH. If every match is some wannabe-epic with a million bits of dumb shit...ugh.

As someone who took issue with the one spot I think this is a total overreaction. The Guns are freaking awesome and one ridiculous spot doesn't change that. In fact the only way I forgive the spot is because IIRC it lead to them doing the Dream Sequence which is a tribute to the Backseat Boyz (who are the best tag team of the past 20 years who never made it out of the indies, you have no idea how sad thinking of Trent Acid and what could've been makes me).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I like Dalton a lot. Cody is lame. I'd be excited to see the match. It's probably going to be a hot one.

$35 American dollars for one show in today's marketplace? I'm happy to read the results after the show. 

You realize that producing an over the air PPV costs way more to do than streaming it online right? $35 is far from outrageous all things considered (like the cost of Impact/UFC/Boxing ppv's).

Cody sucks, the ROH Bullet Club sucks, the ROH booker sucks, Chris Sabin has sucked for years, and poor Alex Shelley deserves better than being stuck with that chump. Ian Riccobani, overly sympathetic to the babyfaces announcer sucks.

Heel Briscoes rule, Dalton Castle fucking rules, Silas Young rules, Cody's fur coat rules.

There's your ROH weekly television recap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, sabremike said:

You realize that producing an over the air PPV costs way more to do than streaming it online right? $35 is far from outrageous all things considered (like the cost of Impact/UFC/Boxing ppv's).

I can appreciate that. I just don't know why that's the route they're pursuing to begin with. 

Boxing and UFC don't factor into my thinking as real combat sports are a different thing entirely when it comes to their big cards.

But in the professional wrestling world, for approximately $20 a month I can have all the WWE and NJPW I'll ever need. Does producing an over the air PPV really get them so much exposure and return that it's worth continuing down that path? It's hard to imagine that being sustainable for much longer. It's hard to imagine there's a huge mass of wrestling fans who find what ROH is producing to be so exceptional that it's worth that price. And that price is undoubtedly keeping some people away. So while what they're charging may well be in line with the costs associated with distributing their content in that manner, my $35 goes much farther elsewhere. 

Which is why they've already announced plans for a streaming service for early next year. Speaking purely from a business sense WWEN and streaming services have hurt the business because they've undercut the price of the product (of course as fans they are great).

I hadn't heard about the streaming service. That's potentially good news for me.

And in case I wasn't clear, I'm speaking 100% as a consumer. Apologies if there was any confusion. As a consumer, I'm not hot enough for anything ROH is putting out to justify $35 for three hours of entertainment in this marketplace. 

Regarding undercutting the price of the product, it's a fair point. But unless WWE (as the biggest name in the game) feels the need to substantially and suddenly hike the price of their service, that genie is out of the bottle for everyone and anyone who wants to be a player is going to need to adapt. The terms have long since been dictated regarding acceptable price points in 2017.

On 12/10/2017 at 12:02 PM, sabremike said:

As someone who took issue with the one spot I think this is a total overreaction. The Guns are freaking awesome and one ridiculous spot doesn't change that. In fact the only way I forgive the spot is because IIRC it lead to them doing the Dream Sequence which is a tribute to the Backseat Boyz (who are the best tag team of the past 20 years who never made it out of the indies, you have no idea how sad thinking of Trent Acid and what could've been makes me).

I'm not talking about this spot as the reason I don't like the MCMGs. I have never liked them. It just adds fuel to the fire.