DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

18 hours ago, sabremike said:

They are easily doing the best business wise in company history right now because of the NJPW agreement.

Then you have to wonder sure they are selling a few extra tickets and a bunch of Bullet Club stuff but how much of that money stays with them and how much goes back the other way.  ROH is almost using this agreement as a crutch.  If New Japan said fuck you guys tomorrow the ROH cards would be mighty thin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Then you have to wonder sure they are selling a few extra tickets and a bunch of Bullet Club stuff but how much of that money stays with them and how much goes back the other way.  ROH is almost using this agreement as a crutch.  If New Japan said fuck you guys tomorrow the ROH cards would be mighty thin

But the fact is that New Japan is very happy with the agreement and it's clearly beneficial for both sides. It's not going to end anytime soon.

Well, NJPW is very happy to have it's own NXT where it controls the belts and guys booked.  Also, they're getting good returns on the excursion guys, seeing how EVIL, Roppongi 3K, and Switchblade all did their excursions there.

As long as Cody and the Bucks are the biggest regularly appearing draws on the US indie scene, and ROH has them on basically every major show they run, ROH is fine.

Even if they lost NJPW, they'd still have Cody at least, but they would definitely need to go talent shopping.

And unless they do something stupid or NJPW decides they want to become a full-time global promotion and run America regularly, there's no reason they should lose ROH. It helps them fill out their roster nearly as much as the other way around, as mentioned it gives them somewhere to send guys for their excursion, helps keep NJPW visible in the US market, and gives them an outlet to sell Bullet Club shirts over here.

At least from a surface view here, the working relationship looks like the kind of win-win New Japan had been trying to find in America since way back in the 90's with WCW.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:53 AM, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Here is why I miss the traditional face vs. heel dynamic of pro wrestling.  Bullet Club work heel whether they wish to subscribe to it or not, so fans should clamor for their hometown heroes to resist the invasion force and beat the shit out of the bad guys.

That's not happening here because the BC is ridiculously over to the point that ROH is affiliating some of their own roster with the stable in order to put asses in seats.  ROH fans are lining up In droves to see BC and they want to see them win matches, not drop them.

Marty Scurll wins the ROH TV title to nada heat, but hook him up with the BC and now he's over AF even in Japan.

Confused about why Jay Briscoe came out in this week's TV with dirt/charcoal on his face. Like it's not quite blackface but it's borderline. And I'm aware of the Confederate flag motif stuff he's used before

Also confused about why Mark would be willing to do a 3D with that elbow injury. I know it's Mark, but yeesh.

Just saw the pic Christopher Daniels posted of his burnt back after the match. I gotta admit, he is definitely not someone I ever saw doing such a spot, and it is extremely odd that it was on a house show and not a PPV. 

And goddamn, that was a LOT of fire.

I am numb to this sort of spot being on deathmatch shows and sleazy indie lucha, but on an untelevised show with Christopher Daniels and Cody Rhodes, I am part of the crowd asking, "WHY?"

• Like 2

ROH's business model is confusing. They have their halfassed ringside membership and yet do all of these big, and as far as I'm aware, untelevised shows with blow off matches and flaming tables and Green Arrow wrestling and Kenny Omega. Why? Why not put that stuff up on your ringside membership?! And then they do these overpriced VODs, which are basically iPPVs. I don't get it. And just checking out the ringside membership deal, it looks like you don't even get the old archive going way back to the early days of the company. 

• Like 1

They are supposed to be launching a new streaming app and expanding the ringside service next year. I'm gonna be real curious to see just what that entails.

Although, Jesus, we are hitting the saturation point on fucking wrestling streaming services.

That's good to hear.

I feel like the Highspots Network model is probably the way forward for all but a handful of the most successful services. Powerbomb.tv is another option for the really small promotions too.

2 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Just saw the pic Christopher Daniels posted of his burnt back after the match. I gotta admit, he is definitely not someone I ever saw doing such a spot, and it is extremely odd that it was on a house show and not a PPV. 

And goddamn, that was a LOT of fire.

I am numb to this sort of spot being on deathmatch shows and sleazy indie lucha, but on an untelevised show with Christopher Daniels and Cody Rhodes, I am part of the crowd asking, "WHY?"

If you are an American promoter in 2017 and you are thinking of having someone go through a flaming table you need to answer the following question: Am I DJ Hyde? If the answer is Yes, then by all means do something ridiculously dangerous as that's your bread and butter. If the answer is No, then don't do something like that ever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

That's good to hear.

I feel like the Highspots Network model is probably the way forward for all but a handful of the most successful services. Powerbomb.tv is another option for the really small promotions too.

GWN is also an option for the smaller promotions. They've got around five indies now.

Just watched Bully Ray's 'retirement speech" on this weekends TV and the Briscoe's turning heel. I thought it was very well done. Joe Koff bidding Bully farewell was a nice touch, Tommy being the nice guy that he is and paying for it, Velvet Sky coming in and pleading for the Briscoes to back off. All great touches to this. I think heel Briscoes could be a ton of fun and what a better way to ge tthem heat than to take out to ECW guys in the ECW Arena.

I didn't catch much of the ROH episode over the weekend but I liked Jay White vs. Matt Taven more than I should have.

Match was pretty much a spot fest with White hitting Taven with everything but the kitchen sink and outside chicanery from the other Kingdom members kept Taven in the contest.. 

Taven won by via screw job finish and a very hurty avalanche version of the Climax after White got crotched on the top turnbuckle after the ref was distracted.

Taven got a huge win and White lost via bullshit so he still kept his Switchblade main event mystique.

On 11/19/2017 at 3:39 PM, Brian Fowler said:

GWN is also an option for the smaller promotions. They've got around five indies now.

Any indie that goes with TNA deserves their fate

Powerbomb (which has a deal with Highspots) is the way to go

On 11/19/2017 at 4:01 PM, Web Conn said:

I think heel Briscoes could be a ton of fun and what a better way to ge tthem heat than to take out to ECW guys in the ECW Arena.

Heel Briscoes are a lot of fun. See their 2006 work against Aries & Strong, and their part in Homicide's road to the title, which also involved Jim Cornette, Steve Corino, Adam Pearce, and Samoa Joe.

I wasn't really feeling Mark Briscoe as a heel considering he's been a goofball on ROH TV for however long now and the crowd loves him.  Then he got in Bully Ray's GF's face (did not realize it was Velvet Sky until I saw Web Conn's post!) and darted his tongue out at her through the gap in his teeth and it was so sleazy and off-putting that I think I might be all turned around on the idea.

Christopher Daniels responded to criticism of the flaming table spot on Twitter...

When people criticize me or my decisions with moronic comments (not valid critique), I fight the urge to draw attention to a vocal minority of fans, but I will say this: 1) Our business is up, 2) My paychecks are fine, & 3) My career won't be 1 day shorter. NOT. ONE. DAY.

... said the 47-year-old guy who has indicated he's near retirement.

I did enjoy his Tweet after, plugging a "Black Friday" sale at his prowrestlingtee's storefront.  A percentage of sale will go to burn cream for his back, lol.

I don't really have an opinion on the spot either way.  I was more appalled Amell thought it was cool to take a table bump.  Wonder if the Arrow producers were cool with that?  It was probably fairly safe, but it's a kinda dumb thing to do if you're a working actor with a weekly show.