DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

On 10/8/2017 at 4:07 PM, Web Conn said:

The Tommy Dreamer promo warning Jay Briscoe that Bully Ray isn't to be fucked with and he doesn't know what he's gotten into was really good, I thought. I'm also a bigger Dreamer fan than most here so I might be a little biased. I'm thinking this whole Jay Briscoe heel turn on Bully Ray ends up with The Briscoes vs Dreamer and Bully in a Fight Without Honor at Final Battle in New York.

Well I guess we can forget about that because from the sounds of it Bully Ray is retiring?   Or going back to WWE which ever comes first  

At least live at the tapings, Dreamer's promo came across almost like he was talking about all the times Bully Ray got his ass kicked.  It didn't come across as making Bully Ray tough, just that he got beaten up a lot.

There is no universe where Colt Cabana should go over Toru Yano.

They have announced that Dalton Castle vs. Flip Gordon is the first matchup for that Soaring Eagle Cup dealie

Jay Lethal and Christopher Daniels are known to be in the tournament but who knows who they are wrestling

Kenny Omega was announced for Supercard of Honor. Tanahashi is also announced for the show. ROH is running an 8,000 seat building and wants to fill it. Any chance NJPW gives them their blessing to have them meet in the main event? If they want to shatter their attendance record that would be one hell of a start. Bet there are going to be a bunch of other NJ guys on the show as well.

On 10/21/2017 at 10:32 AM, Raziel403 said:

Cody will claim the sellout was all him/BC anyway.

Say what you want about Bullet Club but they basically smashed ROH business records with the shows built around them. They are a legit draw.

• Like 3

The Global Wars tours was interesting, especially the last night. It was less a traditional wrestling show and more a vaudeville-style celebration of the BC. I get that the gimmick is divisive but it's drawing.*

*I mean, I think that crowd was 80 percent Omega drawing but whatever. 

It struck me during the last segment when they're all goofing around and taking selfies and whatever that THIS would be the moment to have some fucking heels come out and just lay them out and bloody them up. That helps build ROH, sets up their TV, sets up the PPV, get heat etc. The BC are over. I would love them to see them against some real antagonists. But....this is a meta-gimmick for this meta-age of wrestling so that sort of traditional angle isn't really what they do.  

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Tthis is a meta-gimmick for this meta-age of wrestling so that sort of traditional angle isn't really what they do.  

This pretty much sums up the Bullet Club to me observing from afar. I get who they appeal to and why, but it's almost to the nadir of using them for any sort of heat-getting purpose. It's too nudge-nudge-wink-wink for me and has been since Styles et al left.

The nWo was a group of middle aged jocks acting the way they thought cool young people act. The BC are a group of young nerds half-ironically acting like middle aged jocks acting like young cool guys. It's, like, eight layers of obnoxious.

I don't hate Cody's ROH reign as much as others do but I really want to see Dalton Castle get a run as ROH World Champion. Dalton is over and a true ROH homegrown act, I don't wanna get snotty but Bullet Club will eventually run it's course and ROH will find themselves without anyone with drawing power if they don't start elevating those who aren't BC or wrestling for New Japan. If Dalton had a longish run that would be great but I'd even take a two month run from Final Battle to the Anniversary Show. As long as at the TV Tapings in between Dalton defends the Championship against Silas Young and Colt Cabana playing off old feuds between the two. Pull the trigger see what happens, you can always put the strap back on Cody at the Anniversary Show, if it's a total flop but I don't think it will be.

This is all based on what I saw during Omega-Okada 2 and the G-1 Special and I have no idea what is going on between Cody and Omega in New Japan right now. But if they are still teasing Cody vs Omega and with Naito challenging Okada for the World Title, I'd run Omega vs Cody for the US title at WrestleKingdom. I'd have Cody go over. I think it'd make more sense Cody could defend the Championship more stateside in ROH. It opens Omega up to Challenge for Tanahashi's IC Championship possibly at SuperCard of Honor. Cody as IWGP US Champion keeps him with something to do in ROH while also letting Dalton run as ROH World Champion. Although one could argue that Cody as US Champion might overshadow Dalton as ROH World Champion.

There's alot of ways to go for SuperCard of Honor. I think the best way to go and probably the best draw is having Austin Aries show at the Florida TV tapings, start having Aries start ascending the ranks and then at SuperCard of Honor Aries challenges Dalton for the World Title. So at Supercard of Honor you run Dalton vs Aries for the ROH World Title as the Main Event with Dalton going over and in the Semi Main you Omega vs Tanahashi for the IWGP IC Championship with Omega going over. And You have Cody defend the US Championship up the card as well. I think that draws prett well.

Another way to go, which I wouldn't, is have Dalton vs Omega at Supercard with Omega going over and being ROH World Champion playing the Lesnar role only showing up for the PPVs and Supercards defending the championship for the remainder of the year as ROH builds a star to take the belt of Omega t the following years Supercard of Honor to finally dethrone Omega. And with Cody as IWGP US Champion Cody can main event PPV's and other shows defending his championship on the shows Omega isn't on making it the de facto main championship of ROH.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Dalton is over and a true ROH homegrown act, I don't wanna get snotty but Bullet Club will eventually run it's course and ROH will find themselves without anyone with drawing power if they don't start elevating those who aren't BC or wrestling for New Japan.

This is a good point.  Delirious needs to examine all the things WCW got wrong with the NWO and avoid making the same mistakes.  Ditching the Bullet Club gimmick isn't going to happen for a variety of reasons, but they need to put a little more effort into building up the roster.

I'm only vaguely caught up on current ROH, I occasionally watch the TV, but a show in my area tomorrow night? Hellz yeah I'm going to the Soaring Eagle Cup.

It's been years since TNA ran a show or two around here, I'm kinda excited.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:18 PM, Web Conn said:

I don't hate Cody's ROH reign as much as others do but I really want to see Dalton Castle get a run as ROH World Champion.

The world needs a Dalton Castle title run because the world needs more Dalton Castle promos.

He needs to go back to insisting that the interviewer kisses his hand before the promo, though.

I feel this title run needs to happen sooner than later lest the freshness date of his gimmick draws closer to expiration.