DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

29 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Did Bully Ray actually take a hard shot from that table at the PPV?  From my vantage point in the crowd (left corner off hard cam) it looked like he took that table in the shoulder.

I was on the floor on the left side, I was facing the table so it looked like the whole side of Bully's body.

I never realized how much I'd grown used to - maybe even fond of - Colt Cabana on commentary until I had 2 weeks of BJ Whitmer on commentary.

Also, why is it that after years of using Cross-Rhodes as his finisher, Cody can never hit it as smoothly as a guy like Reno used to in WCW.  The Drifter was (is? I haven't noticed him winning in a while) doing it as his finisher for a bit and it looked so much smoother and better than Cody's.  Half the time it looks like Cody is spinning his opponent right onto his own face.

What a difference a few years make to the ROH fanbase, eh?  A few years ago they booed Jeff Hardy out of the arena, viewing him as a WWE Guy.  On ROH TV this week, they pop and chant for a seriously out-of-shape-looking Glacier.  Reminds me of the way ECW went from hating WWF/WCW guys to cheering Sid in their later days.

1 hour ago, caley said:

Also, why is it that after years of using Cross-Rhodes as his finisher, Cody can never hit it as smoothly as a guy like Reno used to in WCW.  The Drifter was (is? I haven't noticed him winning in a while) doing it as his finisher for a bit and it looked so much smoother and better than Cody's.  Half the time it looks like Cody is spinning his opponent right onto his own face.

I've always thought Cody's version of the move looks awkward.  I keep waiting for a guy to get his neck borked taking the move.

1 hour ago, caley said:

What a difference a few years make to the ROH fanbase, eh?  A few years ago they booed Jeff Hardy out of the arena, viewing him as a WWE Guy.  On ROH TV this week, they pop and chant for a seriously out-of-shape-looking Glacier.  Reminds me of the way ECW went from hating WWF/WCW guys to cheering Sid in their later days.

To my recollection Jeff Hardy showed up in 2003 when ROH was the rebel Indy that prided itself on workrate and was the antithesis of the sports entertainment pro-duct that WWE was producing. And 2003 Jeff Hardy and 2017 Jeff Hardy are completely different Jeff Hardys. But I get what you are saying.  

22 hours ago, Web Conn said:

To my recollection Jeff Hardy showed up in 2003 when ROH was the rebel Indy that prided itself on workrate and was the antithesis of the sports entertainment pro-duct that WWE was producing. And 2003 Jeff Hardy and 2017 Jeff Hardy are completely different Jeff Hardys. But I get what you are saying.  

I was there @ the first Death Before Dishonor. Hardy looked seriously fucked up and fell over the ropes during his entrance, prompting the obvious "You fucked up" chant to which Jeff responded "Yeah, I fucked up." There were also "We want Matt" chants and flashing of the V.1 hand sign. The match itself was awful. It was Hardy vs. Joey Matthews vs. Krazy K (Kirby Mack).

Today's ROH is closer to TNA than the ROH glory years.

Ah the Rex Plex such a cornerstone of early ROH. This match is strange, I remember reading an article on this match in a PWI back in '03 and it was my only reference to it for many years. Yes Jeff Hardy at the time that an article was written about how his ROH debut which should have been a perfect match imploded upon arrival. Jeff was in no condition to be there but the fans had already made up their mind well before he started botching moves. They started chanting "Fuck Jeff Hardy" before he even got out there. I feel bad for Matthews and K in this one. Matthews does his best to keep this one from going completely off the rails and K being green seems lost in this one trying to follow Jeff's lead but Jeff himself doesn't know what to do. The Willow the Wisp mask also went over like a led balloon which is interesting cuz ten years later when Jeff brought the Gimmick back in went over a little better. Crazy how the landscape of wrestling changes throughout the years. I got the biggest kick out of the crowd chanting "Don't Come Back" as Jeff made his way to the back after the match.

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I loved that place. One of my favorite memories is waiting on line for chicken fingers with a couple of Special K guys, and us all bitching about the prices.

That's commitment to the gimmick. Bitch about food prices, don't think anything of dropping big bucks for drugs.

Only place I remember in my years of going to wrestling where we could do bumper cars during intermission.  :P

Only thing I hated about the Rex Plex as a non Jersey guy was that it took forever to figure out how to get to that street and you could see the damn thing of the exit.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Peck said:

ROH announced that Minoru Suzuki will be appearing at all 4 Global Wars stops as well. 

Matches:

October 12th in Buffalo, New York teaming with Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. War Machine & Mark Briscoe.
October 13th in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in a singles match against Silas Young
October 14th in Columbus, Ohio, teaming with Archer & Smith Jr. vs. Toru Yano, Will Ospreay & YOSHI-HASHI in a Suzuki-gun vs. Chaos match.
October 15th in Chicago teaming with Archer & Smith Jr. vs. Jay Lethal, Kenny King & Mark Briscoe.

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

DLAHWLJX0AUjSrF.jpg

With all due respect to the Pittsburgh posters on this board,  what the fuck did Pittsburgh do to deserve Toru Yano in Ring of Honor :o

Must've been something great because Yano is fucking awesome. I LOVE that guy. BREAK! BREAK! BREAK!