DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

Jenny debuted in 2010 after training at the dojo in 09 when Daizee Haze was heavily involved, I don't think Mandy debuted til 2014.  I've always liked what I've seen of Jenny since she started. Haven't seen as much of Mandy but I remember liking one of her matches with Taeler Hendrix, hadn't seen this latest match yet.

You seem like one of the more positive dudes on here which is awesome.  But prepare yourself for a pretty bad match that wasn't really Jenny's fault.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dewar said:

Mandy looks like someone who wants to be a wrestler, but isn't actually athletic enough to make any of the moves look good.

I finally watched the match and I can't help but feel the match wouldn't be a lot better if they just dialed everything way back.  Too many times it was noticeable that they were transitioning into spots.  Leon, in particular, runs at a quarter-speed when she knows she's going to be reversed into something and it's super obvious.  If they just did some simple moves, traded some chops and forearms, worked simpler and snugger, it probably would have been way better than it had been.  It had the feel of when you're watching an indie match and you can tell they're excited about being wrestlers but are reaching way beyond their means.

So, pretty nothing show, but man was I excited when Silas Young wandered out in the middle of the show to run down Jay Lethal.

Man, for hyping that Daniels-Cody match for a few weeks, and building this week's show entirely around it, it sure wasn't much of a match.  I think the Daniels heel turn-ish kinda made half the crowd cheer Cody and the other half just not care.

I also can't get over how Cody has been doing the Cross Rhodes for years, yet never hits it as smoothly and effortlessly as Elias hits it every time.  My dad was around for the final fall and went "That moves looked like it hurt the guy giving it way more than the guy taking it."

What bobholly138 said.  I'd love for that match to have gone down in UG / RB's rudo prime.

I caught the Kris Wolf / Sumie Sakai match on the YouTubes.   Crowd was dead and that finish was all kinds of ugly.  I have not been terribly impressed with Wolf's work so I am not sure why I expected better from this encounter.

• Like 1

I do enjoy that they have updated the "LISTEN UP WRESTLING FANS" Jay Lethal commercial with him in his bald version.  Took them about 4 months but it is progress.  At this rate I figure they will show Silas Young in these commercials sometime in 2019

Catching up on ROH TV and man this Ian guy replacing Kevin Kelly must be Byron Saxton's favorite play by play guy.  Such an amazingly milk toast babyface that is almost nauseating.   There is no edge about this guy.  He needs a guy like Colt Cabana to make it sound less like a kids show

ROH TV was really great this week. Show kicked off with Kazarian doing a "We hate the ROH fans" promo. Good promo but I hate the gimmick, particularly when Daniels did the exact same type of heel turn in ROH years ago and this just feels like lazy booking. Flip vs Punishment was real good. Match was based around Flip using his acrobatics to escape the monster and it was grand. The finish was perfect in that it was a move of death where once you saw it you said "That's it". Then we had Cheeseburger vs Titus in a fun little match. Colt and Castle did an angle to set up a 6 man match next week with Colt and his "Boys" The Tempura Boys. For that alone I hope the stupid Red Sox game on NESN doesn't run long and prevent the show from airing. And not for nothing but do we really need to see old episodes of fucking Charlie Moore over new episodes of ROH? God have I grown to hate that guy. Anyways the main event was Kenny King vs Kushida who were having a fine match until Scurril and Page interfered. This lead to a tag match that was phenomenal. The only blemish was a miscommunication between King and Paige at the finish but the body of the match was excellent. Overall a great hour.

• Like 2

I have not been terribly impressed by Scurril's work as a single in ROH, but he and Page make for a fine tag team.

I really enjoyed the KUSHIDA / KING vs. BC match.  Would not have minded if BC had won, but King needed momentum going into WoTW so the bookers made the right call. 

Finish could've been a little better though.

Enjoyed this week's show

-Best Friends-C2C was all right
-Taven-Briscoe was good, with a better match-ending angle.
-Liked the Lethal-Silas fight, but Lethal referring to BCB as "Beer City" as in "There you are Beer City!" instead of using 'Bruiser' as a short-name is really weird.
-Loved the Cabana/Tempura Boys-Castle/Boys match.  Lots of schtick but it didn't bother me too much.  

• Like 2

On the Torch's web site, they're reporting that most of Suzuki Gun will be on the Global Wars tour. I figure this means everyone except Zach and maybe Iizuka.  

http://www.pwtorch.com/site/2017/08/23/never-openweight-champion-minoru-suzuki-kushida-added-roh-death-dishonor-weekend-september-talent-announced-october-njpw-roh-joint-tour-wradicans-analysis/

19 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Yeah given the reaction of winning the ROH title, I can only imagine what will happen when Cody Rhodes beat Minoru Suzuki.   If they have half a brain they will at least make it a no contest cluster fuck finish

I expect a lot of Bullet Club interference.

Just catching up on this week's TV.

-Gresham/White-War Machine was a lot of fun.  There were actually some believable near-falls for White/Gresham which didn't seem possible going into this one.

-Woods-Taylor was probably my favourite Josh Woods match, thus far.  Shane Taylor's starting to get really fun to watch.I think the ending would have been more effective if Taylor had just kayoed him with the chair instead of giving Woods the flash pin, then a post-match beatdown.  QT Marshall's return was really random.

-MCMG-Young Bucks was actually pretty entertaining stuff.  Sometimes I can't take the Bucks style of match and sometimes it hit home.  I liked that inverse Code Red/Canadian Destroyer that one of the Bucks did, never saw that one before.  I also liked The Addiction's return as "jaded guys who are going to ruin ROH for everyone".  Though, given this board's attitude towards the Young Bucks, they'd probably end up the biggest heroes on here!