DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

Dalton and Silas should be feuding over the world title, sure Cody makes you "hip" and gives you a "buzz" but Dalton and Silas would make them different and present something different.

• Like 2

Well they had a prolonged feud last year (the vignettes with Silas having the boys was pretty good) or so I don't know if it's time to revisit it yet, but it's always a good idea to have on the back burner.

6 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Well they had a prolonged feud last year (the vignettes with Silas having the boys was pretty good) or so I don't know if it's time to revisit it yet, but it's always a good idea to have on the back burner.

I STILL think the money pay-off to that feud was after Dalton beat Silas in the Battle Without Honor, that Silas shakes Dalton's hand and acknowledges that he's a real man.  Then a few weeks later, have The Addiction/Bullet Club/Kingdom/Whatever beating up Dalton and the Boys, then have Silas come out and save Dalton, with the two of them teaming up to take down whomever the tag champs were.  You could build up to Silas finally allowing the boys to fan him etc. etc. 

• Like 3

Fun TV show this week.
-The 6-man mayhem was pretty good.  Fun seeing some guys like Will Ferrara and Vinnie Marseglia get to shine a little (I dig Marseglia's hockey mask for his entrance, not so much the axe though.  I always think it's stupid when a guy brings a weapon to a match that he can't believably use, i.e. Triple H's sledgehammer).

-Beer City Bruiser-Brian Milonas was my favourite TV match in so long.  Two huge dudes hammering each other.  Silas' post-match promo was good, too.

-Kushida-White was lots of fun.

-Also,  biggest news of the new night: a new "Listen up, wrestling fans!" ad with Jay Lethal espousing the virtues of knee braces!  The first time I've seen the dreadlock-less Lethal talking about knee pain!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, caley said:

-Also,  biggest news of the new night: a new "Listen up, wrestling fans!" ad with Jay Lethal espousing the virtues of knee braces!  The first time I've seen the dreadlock-less Lethal talking about knee pain!

That ad has been on forever around here.  I miss the Briscoes hawking super beta prostate.

I don't know who the new guy on commentary was but he was a real step down from Colt.

9 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

That ad has been on forever around here.  I miss the Briscoes hawking super beta prostate.

I don't know who the new guy on commentary was but he was a real step down from Colt.

Oh no, I've been getting that ad for a long time, too.  The big news is that they updated the commercial so it's no longer Lethal with dreadlocks doing it.  At least in my neck of the woods, up until last week it was still Jay Lethal with dreadlocks talking about the brace, instead of bald Lethal who finally debuted this past week.

5 hours ago, caley said:

Oh no, I've been getting that ad for a long time, too.  The big news is that they updated the commercial so it's no longer Lethal with dreadlocks doing it.  At least in my neck of the woods, up until last week it was still Jay Lethal with dreadlocks talking about the brace, instead of bald Lethal who finally debuted this past week.

I for one am glad they were actually able to wrap up filming of it up despite Silas Young's dastardly on set attack!!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I for one am glad they were actually able to wrap up filming of it up despite Silas Young's dastardly on set attack!!!

I'd just like to quote this for posterity, and also to point out how AMAZING Silas has been through this whole angle, carrying around the sign etc. etc.

• Like 2

I know this is beating a dead horse but why is it that with all the good women's wrestlers out there ROH has a women's division that is probably below mediocre? This is a promotion that prides itself on the quality of it's matches, so it makes no sense that they can't bring in better women.

17 hours ago, sabremike said:

I know this is beating a dead horse but why is it that with all the good women's wrestlers out there ROH has a women's division that is probably below mediocre? This is a promotion that prides itself on the quality of it's matches, so it makes no sense that they can't bring in better women.

because present day ROH is closer to Total Non-Stop Global Impact than it is glory days ROH

I got through the first two matches this week.  The first one wasn't too bad (dare I say it was good)  So keeping that post in mind I thought it wasn't as bad as y'all made it seem.  Then came the Mandy Leon match.  Holy fuck that was twenty levels of bad.  I don't know how they train the women but if those two came out of the ROH dojo then that needs a major overhaul.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

because present day ROH is closer to Total Non-Stop Global Impact than it is glory days ROH

Booking wise you have a point, but I still think the men's matches themselves are generally very good. Some people here can't get past the booking but if you just watch the show with the idea of seeing  good matches it's actually not bad. I just don't know why they can't bring in some talented women when there is a surplus of them on the indie scene right now.

13 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I got through the first two matches this week.  The first one wasn't too bad (dare I say it was good)  So keeping that post in mind I thought it wasn't as bad as y'all made it seem.  Then came the Mandy Leon match.  Holy fuck that was twenty levels of bad.  I don't know how they train the women but if those two came out of the ROH dojo then that needs a major overhaul.

Jenny Rose is much better then that I think Mandy's shittness just made Rose think why go full tilt when Mandy's is bumping like that. 

9 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Jenny Rose is much better then that I think Mandy's shittness just made Rose think why go full tilt when Mandy's is bumping like that. 

Didn't they say they both were in the same Dojo class?  If that's the case and Jenny's been around the world at this point that speaks to just how bad Mandy is.  And if she's going to Stardom like that then she's in for a bad time.

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm imagining the ROH Dojo just being Delirious running around and yammering at people. 

Given the quality of what they churn out, you might be right.

• Like 1

The way Joe Koff was going on about the ROH dojo, you would think it would have produced a better top three than Bobby Dempsey, Rhett Titus and Cheeseburger.

Mandy looks like someone who wants to be a wrestler, but isn't actually athletic enough to make any of the moves look good.

Jenny debuted in 2010 after training at the dojo in 09 when Daizee Haze was heavily involved, I don't think Mandy debuted til 2014.  I've always liked what I've seen of Jenny since she started. Haven't seen as much of Mandy but I remember liking one of her matches with Taeler Hendrix, hadn't seen this latest match yet.

4 minutes ago, Dewar said:

That was alleged by some ref who the company stopped booking, yes.

And without getting too Caleynetico here, the story seems borne out by the way ROH treats Leon: using her constantly whether it be to "promote" the show like she used to do in those ROH update deals ("I'm the Exotic Goddess Mandy Leon...") that were so incredibly dull, or commentators falling all over themselves to praise her talent and dedication to the craft, or that she is on basically every Women of Honor show while more talented ROH-related women show up sporadically at best.  It just feels very much like SOMEONE in a position of some power really wants to have her constantly on TV and put over every time she's on.

• Like 1