DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

I wonder when their contract runs out and if WWE would pick them up.  I know why they didn't before (Jay and his homophobic tweets) but enough time has passed where it could be a possibility now.

It should be noted that WWE made them an offer like a year ago but they turned it down because they make considerably more on their chicken farm and working ROH. Seriously.

Yeah - Meltzer had a thing in the newest WON that there are plans for the next "tournament" special to be a tag team one (maybe the Dusty or something else) and it would be next year 

So depending on the their contract - they could just do that and some NXT shows. Much easier schedule.

18 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I wonder when their contract runs out and if WWE would pick them up.  I know why they didn't before (Jay and his homophobic tweets) but enough time has passed where it could be a possibility now.

I still have a hope of seeing them wrestle at Arena Mexico.

I'm sure it didn't happen this way, but I really want to imagine that Vince called the Briscoes up to his plush office and made them an offer, to which Jay responded "Naw thanks.  We make more money than that off ar chickens!" Cue Vince making this face:

vince-300x225.jpg

• Like 1

Needs more fucks in it to really sound like Jay's response. I'm picturing Mark pulling goofy ass faces at the same time. Vince would either give them all the money to get them to sign or he'd be so confused that he'd actually be speechless (and then give some one like Hawkins a chicken farmer gimmick and job them out because no one says no to Vince McMahon damnit!) 

33 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Needs more fucks in it to really sound like Jay's response. I'm picturing Mark pulling goofy ass faces at the same time. Vince would either give them all the money to get them to sign or he'd be so confused that he'd actually be speechless (and then give some one like Hawkins a chicken farmer gimmick and job them out because no one says no to Vince McMahon damnit!) 

Hawkins as a chicken farmer couldn't be any worse than a poorly done Chuck Norris facts gimmick. FACT.

• Like 1

Only watched about 2/3rds of this week's show (Fell asleep during MCMG-War Machine, so I'll go back and watch that again) but it was a pretty great show this week.

-Castle/Boys vs. C2C/Flip was entertaining.  I'm enjoying the dynamic of Castle sheltering the Boys from tougher competition.  I also love that ROH has 2 champions who don't even have names.  Flip Gordon's got to get some new spots, or try to not repeat them every match cuz I've only seen him three times and each match is a little less impressive than the one before.

-Matt Taven vs. Ultimo Guerrero was impossibly good.  Gurrero kept the crowd into it and looked pretty strong taking on the entire Kingdom by himself.

-Silas Young had an amazing promo from across the street from the hospital where Jay Lethal was supposed to be staying.  I'm ready for the Silas Young/BCB mega-push.

I caught the first half of this or so at the gym - the only time I get to see ROH is when I'm late to the gym because some special snowflakes decide the store doesn't REALLY close at 5 on a Sunday.. *ahem* Anyway, I don't think i've seen ROH in years and I have a question. Is Dalton Castle supposed to be a heel? Because the pageantry suggest he is, but he wrestled a very face-like style in my opinion.

Or is it just that the ROH house style is more workrate-oriented than I was expecting?

3 hours ago, kafkonia said:

I caught the first half of this or so at the gym - the only time I get to see ROH is when I'm late to the gym because some special snowflakes decide the store doesn't REALLY close at 5 on a Sunday.. *ahem* Anyway, I don't think i've seen ROH in years and I have a question. Is Dalton Castle supposed to be a heel? Because the pageantry suggest he is, but he wrestled a very face-like style in my opinion.

It's actually quite stunning.  He's 100% a face.  When they first started pushing him, I think they expected him to be a heel but the crowd was caught right up in it and it's actually totally stunning to see a wrestling audience, chant and cheer for a flamboyantly homosexual character with basically love slaves (They don't even have names!) and they're into it all the way.

• Like 1

Adrian Street was a face occasionally in the South in the 1980s. That's even more astonishing. Charisma rises over everything, I think. If someone's charismatic, he's easy enough to like no matter what the character.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, caley said:

It's actually quite stunning.  He's 100% a face.  When they first started pushing him, I think they expected him to be a heel but the crowd was caught right up in it and it's actually totally stunning to see a wrestling audience, chant and cheer for a flamboyantly homosexual character with basically love slaves (They don't even have names!) and they're into it all the way.

Oh, cool. I'm glad to hear that - I was pretty impressed with his work, just confused by the heel/face dynamic. Not having audio didn't help.

14 hours ago, caley said:

This has precedence in ROH: The Christopher Street Connection did an even more over the top gay gimmick (They would kiss fans in the stands, and I proudly took part in that a couple of times because they were awesome and I enjoyed making troglodytes feel uncomfortable). They were originally booked as heels but they were so great the crowd forced the company to make them faces. Sadly Buff E and Mase had a major falling out years ago but if they ever made up and came back to ROH I would completely lose my shit.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 0:26 AM, jstout said:

Adrian Street was a face occasionally in the South in the 1980s. That's even more astonishing. Charisma rises over everything, I think. If someone's charismatic, he's easy enough to like no matter what the character.

Well, Adrian worked his gimmick a bit differently than the CSC.  Street played the role of being confident enough in his sexuality to be flamboyant and he kept everyone else guessing as to whether or not he was gay or straight.

He got into other guy's heads with anti-machismo.  How do you deal with a guy that kisses you on the cheek and then lifts you out of your boots with Euro Uppercuts? 

There is something uniquely demoralizing about a man with glitter on his face and wearing his hair in braided ponytails constantly staying three moves ahead of you in the chain wrestling game and maybe even outbrawling you..

Not only did Adrian test your wrestling ability; he made you question your very masculinity.

Dalton Castle works his gimmick the same way.  Dalton is beyond sexuality.  Dalton is Dalton.  Dalton feels he is deserving of everyone's admiration, man or woman.

• Like 2

I thought Martinez-Gresham was quite interesting this week with Gresham doing everything he can to get the advantage on Martinez, before Punishment just overwhelms him with power.

Cheeseburger/Daddiego-Tempura Boys wasn't much.  The post-match with the girls wearing Cheesburger hats climbing over the barricade was so stupid (As pointed out on commentary: "Is this allowed now?") but was saved when the girls picked up Cheesburger and an announcer (I forgot whom) yelled "Back suplex?!"

Silas Young gave another great promo, interrupting Mandy Leon with "Nobody cares about women's wrestling!" then holding up the workplace accident sign and talking about how nice it has been without Jay Lethal around.

Main event was pretty silly.  That's really all I have.

• Like 1

Silas Young is the best shitkicking heel in North America right now. 

Why is this man in the mid card feuding with Jay Lethal? 

His douchebag masculinity gimmick is the perfect foil for Dalton Castle and its tailor made program to at least build a TV title feud over.

It is the closest this generation will get to Adrian Street vs. Dick Murdoch.

• Like 1