DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

I've been wondering why Sinclair doesn't just fold ROH into NJPW - you could get TV shows for free from NJPW with a huge library and not have to pay the cost of producing TV anymore. NJPW could use Sinclair's TV to run more shows in America, with some big-name NJPW talent and the rest being castoffs from ROH. Sinclair could even sell the ROH video library to WWE in that scenario.

9 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Cody is pretty clearly the least of the Rhodes family, but I think y'all might have him confused with Ted Dibiase.  He's not this bad.  

Cody is a good worker, he's just not great and he looks bad athletically compared to most top workers.   He's in an era which doesn't play well to his strengths.  His ideal world would have been as a foil to Jerry Lawler or half of a heel tag team in the 80s.

• Like 2

I gave the ROH PPV a shot after not seeing them for a very long time - I literally cannot remember the last full card of theirs I watched.  

I somehow hadn't seen Dalton Castle or Silas Young up till now, but they're both awesome.

The rest of the show... no.  Not for me.  And seriously some of the worst commentary I've heard in a long fucking time.  Every annoying trick Cole and JBL do, they did and even more often.  Should've just muted it and been done with it.

To me, Cody doesn't have "it".  I think WWE used him at the level he had earned at that point - he didn't inherit his father's charisma and his promos come across very forced to me.   It feels like he's playing the character of a pro wrestler, rather than being a pro wrestler. 

3 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

To me, Cody doesn't have "it".  I think WWE used him at the level he had earned at that point - he didn't inherit his father's charisma and his promos come across very forced to me.   It feels like he's playing the character of a pro wrestler, rather than being a pro wrestler. 

This sums it up for me.  I don't particularly dislike Cody, but I don't usually feel like watching his matches either.  He's perfectly decent in most aspects - decent promo, decent in-ring, etc. - but I feel like he lacks the audience connection show.  I actually kinda preferred him in WWE.  In Japan and the indys, he comes across as a kinda bland ex-WWE guy to me.  I feel like I should watch his match, but there's probably at least half a dozen guys on the card I'd prefer to see and his match ends up being middling no matter how good it is.  

His social media stuff makes him seem like an interesting personality who gets pro wrestling in a way a lot of guys don't, but somehow that doesn't translate to his actual wrestling for me.

I kinda feel sorry for Bullet Club Japan having to be associated with Bullet Club ROH, which seems seriously low on star power.  And Bullet Club proper includes Tama Tonga and King Fale as lifetime members, lol.

Young Bucks are big draws as far as indie wrestlers go. I can't think of any bigger US indie draw right now. They also have the personality and charisma of (modern) stars. The Elite nickname is pretty appropriate  when it comes to the Bucks and Kenny. 

• Like 1

There was a brief convo on Cabana's podcast about how huge the Bucks are and how their line for the meet and greet was just as long as the one to get into the arena. Part of that is going to be the novelty of seeing them in Australia, but even the fact they can get that many fans in a country they don't often visit is pretty incredible.

48 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Young Bucks are big draws as far as indie wrestlers go. I can't think of any bigger US indie draw right now. They also have the personality and charisma of (modern) stars. The Elite nickname is pretty appropriate  when it comes to the Bucks and Kenny. 

I think Marty has potential to get to that level, even if he makes most of this board cringe in the process.

59 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

The only major promotion that's ever treated them like a big deal is ROH, and they're barely relevant these days.  The Bucks are big fishes in a tiny pond.

Its nice to see people finally understanding that Cody was kind of mediocre and perfectly placed in WWE. It was never that they didn't want to do more with him, he just never proved he could be more.

My bigger issue is ROH having basically no believable world title contenders. They almost had no choice, but to put the belt on Cody. Dalton Castle should have been the one to beat Christopher Daniels. We've seen Delirious is piss poor at building new talent. Where does ROH go after Cody; another Jay Briscoe or Jay Lethal reign? Dalton Castle after his momentum has died? Imagine if ROH didn't let Donovan Dijak, ACH, Lio Rush, Keith Lee, Jason Kincaid go. Why is Joe Koff so loyal to Delirious? I think this is the answer.

• Like 1

Last I heard it was just Rowe going to NXT. Has there been news of Hansen joining him? I don't see much in Rowe as a singles competitor but would love to see War Machine tear it up in the tag division.

23 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Rowe is fine working singles.  There's more value in him as a package with Hanson, but he spent a lot of time working singles pre-War Machine, and was good.

Yep. He can work a variety of guys, too, and make it work. 

His match last year vs. Tommy End in AIW is one of the best matches I've seen live, ever.