DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

Watched the show for the first time in a while. Regretted that decision, so it may be awhile before I tune in again.  I like the Bucks, but everything about that opening promo was death for me.  I've said before that I liked Scurll a lot when he first turned heel in Progress and actually acted like a heel, but the Party Marty character has never interested me and this weird hybrid of Party Marty and the Villain that he's doing in the US is grating.  Marty playing to the crowd as the cool heel leading nWo Part 47 is not something I need to see.  Cole's never really done it for me and his promo about how he's the biggest deal out there and they stupidly threw him out came off as delusional to me.  Little Big Man syndrome.  Am I the only one who thinks Cole really needs to bulk up.  He always looks kinda skinny to me.

I was nodding off by the time they got to Cody and Kazarian, but.... did I hear right?  Cody cut a promo.  I think he said that the reason he didn't have the ROH World Title was because the TV network was afraid to put the belt on a guy who wouldn't sign a full-time contract.  Did I catch that right?  'Cause, if I did, wow, that's terrible.

• Like 1

ROH Top Prospect 2017 champ is crowned. 8 unfamiliar (to the TV audience) faces get a chance to shine. Winner gets jumped by a brand new heel. A potential new corner turned for the show with all the new folks?

What do we get out of all of this?

Short video package and a 6 minute throwaway match.

Oh, and showing a Punishment Martinez vid to try to hype him up as a major badass...the week after showing him getting thumped (and I think cleanly pinned) by a New Japan guy...not a smart move.

Silas Young is the only heel in the fed acting like a proper heel. 

I love that dude like family and hope that Bobby Fish cripples him at Windy City Excellence.

• Like 1

Kazarian looked bad in that main event.  He was a step too slow to pull off his highspots without making Cody stand there like a goof waiting on him.  It was thoughtful of him gingerly lean himself in position against the ropes so that Cody could do his kick to the midsection spot.

On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 5:21 AM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I was nodding off by the time they got to Cody and Kazarian, but.... did I hear right?  Cody cut a promo.  I think he said that the reason he didn't have the ROH World Title was because the TV network was afraid to put the belt on a guy who wouldn't sign a full-time contract.  Did I catch that right?  'Cause, if I did, wow, that's terrible.

I mean, I guess you could say that he was saying ROH wouldn't give him a fair one-on-one title match because they were afraid of putting the title on a free agent but, even then, you're having to make a bit of leap to reach that conclusion without thinking he's "shooting".

On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 8:33 PM, zev said:

ROH Top Prospect 2017 champ is crowned. 8 unfamiliar (to the TV audience) faces get a chance to shine. Winner gets jumped by a brand new heel. A potential new corner turned for the show with all the new folks?

What do we get out of all of this?

Short video package and a 6 minute throwaway match.

Oh, and showing a Punishment Martinez vid to try to hype him up as a major badass...the week after showing him getting thumped (and I think cleanly pinned) by a New Japan guy...not a smart move.

Agreed on the Top Prospect stuff, especially as the audience has basically 100% turned on Woods because he's getting this major push and the crowd has come to view him as ROH's Roman Reigns, but he's clearly really green and has no idea what to do when the crowd boos him, instead of Reigns who basically plays off of it.

The Martinez thing doesn't bother me too much, because he was shown getting beat by Goto, so at least it's a guy who has won some titles in NJPW and is seen as a borderline main event guy.  The 'Punishment is Coming' tagline has to go, though; sounds like the tag for the next '50 Shades of Grey' movie.

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 9:02 AM, J.T. said:

Silas Young is the only heel in the fed acting like a proper heel. 

I love that dude like family and hope that Bobby Fish cripples him at Windy City Excellence.

I'd like to see Beer City Bruiser get renamed (Something like "The Beer City Bruiser" Bob Johnson (Though obviously a better name than that) )so he can still be Bruiser but he gets a little less gimmicky, then have someone else align with them and have Young lead his own stable.  He's been so good for the last year or so, that I really think he should get a title run of some sort, whether it be TV, tag or 6 Man.

28 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Kazarian looked bad in that main event.  He was a step too slow to pull off his highspots without making Cody stand there like a goof waiting on him.  It was thoughtful of him gingerly lean himself in position against the ropes so that Cody could do his kick to the midsection spot.

Yeah, that was not a good match at all.

• Like 1

Fun show this week

-Cheeseburger/Ferrara vs War Machine was worked exactly how this sort of match should be worked.  Total War Machine domination, with a few hope spots for Cheesburger.  I got a kick out of the crowd popping for everything WM did, then cheering for their post-match promo, until they challenge the heel tag team of Young Bucks, at which point the reaction becomes much more mixed.
-Los Ingobernables de Japon vs Briscoes/Bully Ray/Castle was pretty fun, too.  I really wish this had been the main event and gone on for 40ish minutes.  It felt like they were just scratching the surface of what it could be, then they quickly wrapped it up with the Boys saving Castle from a poison mist shot that hit Jay Briscoe instead.  After the match, Jay tried to get at the Boys but Dalton stood in his way, presumably setting up a program between the top teams
-Cole-Page was all right.  It was lacking a little mystique with the crowd knowing Cole is on his way out and not really buying into his near-falls.  Adam Page is a weird one because his gimmick is all right, his promos are all right, but his wrestling doesn't really suit his gimmick or look at all.  He talks in his promos about taking people out, then, in his matches, he hits slingshot sommersault clotheslines and shooting star shoulder-blocks off the apron.  He'd be much better suited to dropping that nonsense, and just working a grinding ground game.

• Like 3

War Machine vs. Will To Burger was easily one of my favorite televised matches this year. Not kidding, they did that one right.

@caley I had the good fortune of watching that Cole-Page match with the volume low and being able to mostly ignore the crowd. I'm thinking it was a good finish, and the lack of Bullet Club interference helped with that considerably.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2017 at 0:46 PM, zev said:

War Machine vs. Will To Burger was easily one of my favorite televised matches this year. Not kidding, they did that one right.

I have seen no more perfectly booked ROH matches than this one so far.

Rowe giving Cheeseburger some love and Arn Anderson "Why Isn't This Man Dead?" selling the hope spot almost made me tear up a little.

Cole-Page was Cole-Page.  I agree with Caley.  Adam Cole is trying to have a HHH mentality while working a Dynamic Dudes moveset and he's got like five or six finishers.

Cole is a man in desperate need of a refresher course in ring psychology.

• Like 1

I am not sure what is more astounding:  the Briscoe farm having wi-fi or that Mark watched Shane Taylor's YouTube promo on a tablet and took copious notes...

Do they even have running water at the Sandy Fork compound?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I think its Jay being on the Jinder workout plan

I'm somewhat fascinated by Jay seeming to bulk up.  Assuming it is the "Jinder workout" - which seems likely -....why?  I mean, why now?  What's the goal?

It would be morbidly amusing if the Briscos got signed by the WWE and rocketed to the main roster, and the only change to their gimmicks or ring work was that they both put on a lot of muscle very fast and looked ready to explode out of their skins.

Woods got booed out of the building because they were in Philly and he was facing David Starr (who is very popular with the local fans from working CZW). It was really bad booking if the intent is for Woods to be a face because I could've told them what the reaction would be. Also thought Kaz-Cody was an OK match. Nothing great but not terrible.

34 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Woods got booed out of the building because they were in Philly and he was facing David Starr (who is very popular with the local fans from working CZW). It was really bad booking if the intent is for Woods to be a face because I could've told them what the reaction would be. 

I think there's also a fan backlash against him because ROH viewed him as "the guy" before even starting the tourney, and had faces and heels alike praising him on commentary.  You could hear the crowd kinda turning on him in the final against...that extreme Horseman guy whose name I'm forgetting.

Can anyone imagine what they'd be like if the Briscoes were actually from the south? I'm only one state north of the Briscoes. Granted, once you get into south Jersey, it's like another state compared to the urban North Jersey and the suburbs of Central Jersey. I've absolutely seen people like the Briscoes in south Jersey.

The dog is the star of the new video.

I'm just a country mouse - haven't been out of the sticks of Tennessee much - but when I went to upstate New York about 10 or so years ago, the first thing I noticed was "holy shit, this is just like home." There were big satellite dishes in yards (back when they were a thing), Larry the Cable Guy stickers on every truck, broken-down cars in every yard. I was like "no matter where you are, there you go."

On 6/6/2017 at 4:46 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Can anyone imagine what they'd be like if the Briscoes were actually from the south? I'm only one state north of the Briscoes. Granted, once you get into south Jersey, it's like another state compared to the urban North Jersey and the suburbs of Central Jersey. I've absolutely seen people like the Briscoes in south Jersey.

Whether they're in the south or not doesn't matter much.  States in Maryland and Deleware are as southern as it gets.  In MD Cecil County is called "Ceciltucky" due to the people that live there.  And there's parts of southern MD that are very southern.  I'm not certain about Sandy Fork but I'm very certain DE's got plenty of southerners living there.