DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

22 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

I thought Fish vs. Silas was good.

Listen up wrestling fans, Silas Young had fantastic heel work.

Spoiler

First they show a segment where Silas attacks Jay Lethal while he's about to film a commercial, because he's sick of Jay always getting the endorsement spots. And then Silas beats Fish by hitting him with a knee brace, thus leaving him down for the count.

• Like 3

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/flip-gordon-signs-exclusive-roh-deal

Ring of Honor is thrilled to announce the signing of Travis “Flip” Gordon to an exclusive contract! One of the hottest prospects in wrestling, Gordon made his initial mark at a ROH tryout camp before getting an opportunity on Ring of Honor television. From there, the high-flying Gordon impressed the ROH Board of Directors and earned a contract.

Gordon comes to ROH serving as an active member of the Army National Guard. Born in Boston, MA, Gordon was raised in Kalispell, MT where he was a four-time state champion wrestler. Gordon has become a can’t miss prospect in large part because of his aerial offense, part of which was developed years before he ever stepped in the ring when he was a gymnast and mascot Cecil the Cardinal at Northern Idaho College!

His athleticism served him well following a 2014 move to Boston where he enrolled in the New England Pro Wrestling Academy, where he was trained by former Top Prospect Tournament competitor Brian Fury. In that time, Gordon became a C4 and explosives expert as a combat engineer. 

Just two years since his first match, Gordon’s meteoric rise and innovative offense has made him one of the hottest free agent in the world. Ring of Honor is thrilled to welcome Flip Gordon to the ROH Roster!

I just watched that episode yesterday for the first time. I'm going to be chanting that for the next five minutes over here.

If he turns heel, he can poison his opponents.

• Like 2

Boy, that Rebellion stable sure is a flop, isn't it?  Like, anyone who joins it just comes out looking weaker.

And God help me, I'm really starting to like Colt Cabana as the color commentator.  Him and Ian have a good back-and-forth, and I laughed out loud when Alex Shelley talked about Marc Briscoe's educated feet and Colt said "I don't think there's any part of him that's educated."

Silas-Fish was fun but, man, was Jay Lethal bad in that segment with Silas Young.  He just kind of whined and stuttered though his whole promo.  I was happy when Silas beat him up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, caley said:

And God help me, I'm really starting to like Colt Cabana as the color commentator.  

I can write a laundry list of things I dislike about Colt, but he has the ability to be an entertaining speaker when not forcing his comedy or acting passive-aggressively bitter. 

And speaking of bitter! 

• Like 2

God damn, that's ice cold.

I can't decide who's worse...Cornette or the dumb marks who fall for his act.

Edit: reading through it, the guy essentially asked King a troll question, then ran and stooged it to Cornette when King reacted as expected.  Twitter is a fucking cesspool.

What's the issue between King and Cornette, anyway?  Was Cornette in power in ROH when King abruptly left for TNA (he had a "handshake deal" with ROH, which is, seriously, fuck a handshake deal)?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

God damn, that's ice cold.

I can't decide who's worse...Cornette or the dumb marks who fall for his act.

Edit: reading through it, the guy essentially asked King a troll question, then ran and stooged it to Cornette when King reacted as expected.  Twitter is a fucking cesspool.

What's the issue between King and Cornette, anyway?  Was Cornette in power in ROH when King abruptly left for TNA (he had a "handshake deal" with ROH, which is, seriously, fuck a handshake deal)?

Yep. Cornette's gone on huge rants about it in the past.

"He was a mark for himself. He had to win the f--king belts. He didn't care about the company. He didn't care about his [tag team] partner. He didn't care about us. He didn't care about the deal he shook hands on. He didn't care about anything else but 'I'm going to win the belts before I leave and then I'm going to try to go down there [to TNA] and get a guaranteed contract and f--k whatever word I've given because I'm no good', because, did I mention, he's a professional stripper who shakes his dick in front of people for money."

Prior to the Best In The World 2012 pay-per-view, Cornette and ROH booker Hunter Johnston approached King about a new contract. King indicated that he did not want to sign a long term deal because he might have a chance to sign with TNA. Cornette and Johnston offered King a 90-day contract extension that would permit King to negotiate a deal with TNA. King told Cornette and Johnston it was a good deal and they shook hands.

"So we made that deal and we went to Best In The World, in New York, and the contract was there. I believe, Hunter had it, on paper, in his briefcase, and gave it to Kenny. And, of course, it's a pay-per-view, and it's New York, and we're understaffed, we're overstressed, and, basically, this was my fault, because I was the one who was supposed to be in charge of talent even though Hunter was the booker, it was my fault, I should have made sure the contract was signed, but we got distracted. I didn't think about it."

After the pay-per-view, Cornette tried to get King to sign the contract extension, but King refused. Cornette acknowledged that he should have known better at that time and had King drop the tag titles at the ROH house shows or television tapings.

"So anyway, the guy does TV. The last thing we said to him, I said, 'Kenny, you can talk to [TNA], so you get your deal. Let us know what's going on. The only thing that you cannot do is work on a show in front of fans. You can even do a tryout if you want to, before the doors open. Don't work on a show in front of the people while you still have our belts because that will be your instant notice and we'll all be in a lot of f--king trouble.'"

A few days later, Johnston called Cornette to inform him that King was at Universal Studios for the TNA television taping.

"So he did work that night and we immediately put up on the goddamn website that he had gone back on an agreement that we had, were stripped of the belts, and blah, blah, blah."

• Like 2

Thanks, @Ace

First, a handshake deal is worthless, doubly so in wrestling.  It's a race to see who screws who first.  Since there are always three sides to every story, I have no idea how close Cornette's is to the truth, but in the end, King had to watch out for himself.  It is delightful to see the office just get miserable over losing one.  I can't cry over a carny-ass promoter losing his ability to job a guy on the way out like you knew Cornette wanted to.

Second, someone who works in wrestling shitting on someone for working as a stripper is absurd and Cornette's a dick for doing it.  It's like a guy with ass cancer laughing at a guy with ball cancer.  I enjoy wrestling but i understand its place in society and on a good day it might be viewed on the same level as stripping.  Shit, at least strippers don't work for free because they're marks for the industry, or fall on their heads for money (unless something goes really wrong on the pole).  I bet KIng has made a far better living as a Chippendale's dancer than as a wrestler. But in Cornette's world it's more honorable to cut your head with a razor and drive 500 miles for a $10 payoff than it is to shake your ass for money.  Fucking goof.

• Like 1

1. The actual workers rarely have leverage in wrestling. I don't blame Kenny for using his when he had it. 

2. Maybe I'm misreading, but it seems like Corny's making an assertion about King working for Chippendale's that's a bit ridiculous. My wife and her friends went to one of those revues in Vegas during a bachelorette party. It's a WOOOOORLD of difference from a strip club, much more comparable to any Vegas stage show than it is Spearmint Rhino. I'm with @Technico Support: wrestling is considerably more carny than that. 

3. Holy shit, I guess I didn't really stop to think how long Delirious has had the book. It's been SEVEN YEARS this August. 

giphy.gif

He's AWFUL. RoH has some fun shows, but that's due to young talent working hard to impress the audience, and IN SPITE of shitty booking. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

Holy shit, I guess I didn't really stop to think how long Delirious has had the book. It's been SEVEN YEARS this August.

He's AWFUL. RoH has some fun shows, but that's due to young talent working hard to impress the audience, and IN SPITE of shitty booking. 

Court Bauer mentioned that Delirious is like a son to Joe Koff and he pretty much has the job as long as Koff has his.  

• Like 1

On 5/13/2017 at 3:46 PM, Marty Sugar said:

5-11, 210...as per Wikipedia.

Not to shit all over the guy, but i am 6'2" and 215.  I was at an ROH show last June-ish in NYC and was set up right next to Cole and the Bucks merch table.  He seemed way smaller than me.  Just guessing....5'8"....175ish.  The only guys who looked big up close were Elgin and Moose.    

• Like 1

Kenny should have really specified that he doesn't wrestle his daughter in his underwear. That comes across very badly.  

He should have said, "When I'm not wrestling, I spend time with my daughter."

..,and fuck Jim Cornette and his shitty gimmick of hating everything that came after Smoky Mountain.

• Like 2

I think the funny part of Cornette''s rant on King is the part after he talks shit about King then says, "Really it's my fault", then proceeds to shit on King all over again.

• Like 2

On 2017-05-19 at 0:30 AM, caley said:

Boy, that Rebellion stable sure is a flop, isn't it?  Like, anyone who joins it just comes out looking weaker.

And God help me, I'm really starting to like Colt Cabana as the color commentator.  Him and Ian have a good back-and-forth, and I laughed out loud when Alex Shelley talked about Marc Briscoe's educated feet and Colt said "I don't think there's any part of him that's educated."

Silas-Fish was fun but, man, was Jay Lethal bad in that segment with Silas Young.  He just kind of whined and stuttered though his whole promo.  I was happy when Silas beat him up.

Hated the ref for the Cheeseburger match. Tags did not matter, he didn't bother trying to remove illegal wrestlers from the ring, and the only rule he tried to enforce was the code of honor. If the ref is going to be that useless, why isn't it a no DQ match or something?

I was gonna review the whole thing since I passed on World Pro this week but Sinclair sucks so I only caught the end of Martinez/Goto. Martinez looks like a beast. Looked to be a pretty good back-and-forth match, I would've seen more but ROH was listed on two different channels, one was in progress already and the other ended up not airing ROH so I flipped back and forth waiting for the news to get over. Like I said, Sinclair sucks. 

BULLET CLUB VS. BRISCOES/OKADA/OSPREAY: That "Be Elite" chant elevates the Bucks' obnoxiousness into the stratosphere (as if it wasn't already there). They do a long bit with Ospreay trying to plancha them, they get mad and kick the barricade and hurt their legs. This is pretty much all their schtick and Korakuen eats it up. Cody fits in well with the Club doing this kinda crap. Mark has shaved the beard down a bit and has a nice hawk, he is also pretty constant with the kung-fu vocal sounds here. The faces make a comeback and they build to a dive train that at the end everyone kind of awkwardly stands there slapping each other waiting for a suplex off the top. Okada and Omega finally get in the ring together then everyone runs through their spots. Jay has a better Macho Elbow than Okada, no surprise. They throw a bone to Cody by giving him the pin off the Cross Rhodes on Ospreay. Fun stuff if you have a high tolerance for the Bucks and their goofiness. 

I can't give any grief to Delirious' booking this week, thanks to this weekend's Sinclair show. Why? Because if I were a wrestler working a show in Korakuen Hall, and had a tiny bit of sway with the NJPW bookerman, I'd absolutely work out a way to get myself a tag match with Liger.

And showing a main event match where Cody gets the win, just after premiering Cody's new t-shirt ad, ok yeah that was smart.

FYI (since some of you have attending in the past) - there will be no Field of Honor show this year as supposedly they couldn't coordinate dates this summer