DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

14 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Even guys that didn't go to WWE, like Alex Shelley, Jimmy Rave, Homicide, Rocky Romero, or guys that left and came back like Matt Sydal...

I mean, there's just such a huge gap in quality from the names I rattled off to Ken Fucking Anderson. How much worse can you get? They lose Michael Elgin, Kyle O'Reilly, Donovan Dijak, Roderick Strong, ACH, Cedric Alexander, and Lio Rush. They basically handed Jason Kincaid to Gabe. They keep Cheeseburger, J. Diesel, and Will Ferrara? I can't believe Jonathan Gresham signed with them. Was that really his best option? ROH is almost TNA-like in how badly they've become in scouting talent and squandering the talent they do find. It's almost painful for me considering what an ROH die-hard I used to be.

ROH's business model changed.  They went from a contract free super indy with infrequent shows that were sold on DVD to a promotion owned by a (really miserly) corporation that does weekly TV and tries to lock guys down with contracts.

They essentially stopped being PWG and started being TNA.  

I think ROH would be better off if they did away with the exclusive contracts and sign more guys to contract where they can work outside dates and start working with indy promotions like Beyond and AIW for example, using talent from those promotions and letting contracted ROH guys like the Briscoes and Lethal for example work big shows for Indies they having working relationships with and in exchange these indies can help ROH promote shows in their markets e.g. Cleveland and Rhode Island in this instance. ROH can expand their touring markets and talent pool and not spend too much money doing it. There's a good pool of talent to choose from right now not in Elvolve or Lucha Underground or Impact Wrestling or NXT right now that ROH could benefit from using I think.

I've wondered this for awhile.... Can ROH - or any indy - really pay someone enough in 2017 to make an exclusive contract worthwhile for the wrestler?  I know indys don't pay much, but it doesn't seem like ROH would be in a position to pay a top guy that much more than he could make working the indys year-round and maybe touring Japan or Mexico. 

Besides that, I'd be reluctant to tie myself to one promotion and give up the visibility.  ROH - and especially TNA - don't have the visibility or market penetration they used to.  Seems like a Jay Lethal-type is just as likely to become a "big deal" on the indys and get noticed by the WWE by working PWG, Beyond and the UK as ROH.  Unless ROH was paying a lot more to sign an exclusive deal, I'd be inclined to work all over the indys and maybe try to get some overseas bookings.

7 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

ROH guys can work PWG, can't they?  So Jay Lethal not working there probably means either they don't want him, or he's not interested in going there.  

They've seen his finisher!

dq5g4.gif

(I like Lethal, but I'm not a fan of finishers that require you to stand still like a dolt while your opponent goes through the setup.  Particularly as in the gif above when the opponent sees Lethal run by from behind and start the the cartwheel - and still doesn't react - though he does helpfully shuffle sideways a bit to line up a bit better for Lethal.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

God, I hate the Lethal Injection. Poor Roderick having to stand there like an asshole waiting for it, especially when it would make sense for him to counter it with the sick kick right to the fucking face.

Not that it makes a difference, but that's Mike Bennett. Roderick would be wearing his "shitty little boots". :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Kenny is only working the Toronto show of the tour

I thought his Visa issue cleared up and he's good to work in the US again.  I know New Japan's going to book him for the LA shows so why not enter the US?

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 6:33 PM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

They've seen his finisher!

(I like Lethal, but I'm not a fan of finishers that require you to stand still like a dolt while your opponent goes through the setup.  Particularly as in the gif above when the opponent sees Lethal run by from behind and start the the cartwheel - and still doesn't react - though he does helpfully shuffle sideways a bit to line up a bit better for Lethal.)

I actually thought it worked on last week's show, but it is so important on timing.  Basically, the guy has to get up just in time to get hit with it.  If he gets up even a second or two early, it results in the "standing around dazed" while waiting for the move to hit reaction, like a character in Street Fighter II

6a70a6ff7db1343dc3d0df417da3ded4.jpg

• Like 5

Not the best episode this week for me personally since I didn't really care about the Top Prospect tourney and I'm not a Marty Scurll fan. Sydal popped up at the end of the episode so it's good to see him back.

25 minutes ago, nate said:

I was more of an E. Honda guy.  I even used to tell people my theory that he was related to Piston Honda.

Just because they have the same last name, they automatically have to be related? Next, you'll be saying all Asian people look alike.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Just because they have the same last name, they automatically have to be related? Next, you'll be saying all Asian people look alike.

Holy shit, I know this was a joke, but I seriously *just* passed a guy in Wal-Mart that looked like Nakamura.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nate said:

He was in a maroon jumpsuit.

But the hair was perfect.

So he's either Nakamura or a Werewolf from London.

Meanwhile, the Top Prospect winner got jumped the newest heel on ROH.

Was that new heel in the tournament? I honestly don't remember.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2017 at 8:15 PM, zev said:

Was that new heel in the tournament? I honestly don't remember.

I called bullshit after Quinn jobbed, so I really don't know who won the TPT nor do I give a fuck about who won.

• Like 2