DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

22 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Dalton Castle will be challenging for the ROH World Title too.

If only the end Colt Cabana / Chris Sabin match in the Decades tournament hadn't mailed in the finish for this Dalton Castle title shot. :(

ROH sure loves to have TNA tendencies

They booked Dalton Castle vs. Cody Rhodes on their Feb PPV

So on their last big show before the April show - they have their #1 contender facing a guy who doesn't job (unless it is the most screwy version ever)

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:20 AM, RIPPA said:

So on their last big show before the April show - they have their #1 contender facing a guy who doesn't job (unless it is the most screwy version ever)

Actually the presence of the Boys and Dalton's smoldering feud with Colt Cabana is why the match makes perfect booking sense as ring shenanigans will no doubt cause a wacky DQ or count out so that no one has to job clean.

Fun show this week.  I'm not totally sold on Scurll yet (I don't get it, really.  He says he's a villain, but then he makes wacky faces like he's going to throw up when he "breaks" people's fingers.  Wouldn't a villain take enjoyment in causing pain?!  He also does way too much dancing, posing, preening for my liking.  His entrance and look screams demented Tom Hardy character, but when he gets in the ring, he's more Young Bucks-ish than anything.  And I like the Bucks!) but the match with Gresham was pretty neat.  The Daniels-Sabin match was fine.  But that main event, even with Ospreay's over-flippiness (I am not a fan of the climb to the top rope moonsault, only for his opponent to roll out of the way so Ospreay lands on his feet, flips again, misses, then hits his opponent with a standing SSP move.  I'd be okay with it once in a while, but hitting it every match is overkill.) was pretty spectacular.   The opening was lots of fun with all the counters and cartwheels, though I could see where some would hate it.  I LOVED Dragon Lee jumping the ropes to huracanrana Kushida off the apron to the floor; that move deserved a million, billion replays.  Main event was really a ton of fun.  I'd go out of my way to see it.

• Like 1

On 2017/1/19 at 8:20 AM, RIPPA said:

Cody/Castle is happening at a house show in Columbus. The next PPV in the anniversary show in March.

19 hours ago, caley said:

Fun show this week.  I'm not totally sold on Scurll yet (I don't get it, really.  He says he's a villain, but then he makes wacky faces like he's going to throw up when he "breaks" people's fingers.  Wouldn't a villain take enjoyment in causing pain?!  He also does way too much dancing, posing, preening for my liking.  His entrance and look screams demented Tom Hardy character, but when he gets in the ring, he's more Young Bucks-ish than anything.  And I like the Bucks!) but the match with Gresham was pretty neat.  The Daniels-Sabin match was fine.  But that main event, even with Ospreay's over-flippiness (I am not a fan of the climb to the top rope moonsault, only for his opponent to roll out of the way so Ospreay lands on his feet, flips again, misses, then hits his opponent with a standing SSP move.  I'd be okay with it once in a while, but hitting it every match is overkill.) was pretty spectacular.   The opening was lots of fun with all the counters and cartwheels, though I could see where some would hate it.  I LOVED Dragon Lee jumping the ropes to huracanrana Kushida off the apron to the floor; that move deserved a million, billion replays.  Main event was really a ton of fun.  I'd go out of my way to see it.

Wow.  Get out of my brain.  My thoughts exactly.  

On 1/24/2017 at 5:50 PM, wakigatame said:

Cody/Castle is happening at a house show in Columbus. The next PPV in the anniversary show in March.

Yeah - that Columbus show is confusing me since they certainly seem to be loading it up but anyway

For that show they announced Marty Scurll vs. Lio Rush where fans pick the stip.

Choices are: Submission match, 2 out of 3 Falls, European Rounds

• Like 1

On 1/27/2017 at 7:26 AM, RIPPA said:

Yeah - that Columbus show is confusing me since they certainly seem to be loading it up but anyway

For that show they announced Marty Scurll vs. Lio Rush where fans pick the stip.

Lio has no submission move, so the "fans" won't pick that.

I also can't see "fans" going with World of Sport format Euro Rounds match since Marty is British.

2 / 3 Falls is the match that ROH will socially engineer the fans into choosing.

It may be absurd and they'll probably job him out in the first round, but I'll watch and hope PQ at least gets some offense in against whatever new hotness flippy guy they put in the ring with him.

Grizzled Veteran does not even begin to describe him.  IF (big "if") he wins, he'll undoubtedly be the oldest guy to win the tournament.

Personally, I'd much rather have the OSE just run into a random match, kick the shit out of people, and issue a challenge for the six man straps.

That is probably what is bothering me the most

Ignoring the fact that he should have been signed 15 years ago - it's that he instantly becomes a Top 5 worker on the roster if you just sign him directly.

But nope... tournament filler

On 1/24/2017 at 2:47 PM, caley said:

Will Ospreay breaking up a pin with a running shooting star press was the exact moment they lost me.  The dude is they very definition of a guy trying way too hard to get all his shit in.  

On 1/29/2017 at 6:18 AM, RIPPA said:

That is probably what is bothering me the most

Ignoring the fact that he should have been signed 15 years ago - it's that he instantly becomes a Top 5 worker on the roster if you just sign him directly.

But nope... tournament filler

Well, the one thing that gives me some comfort is that there are a lot of guys on the ROH roster that were in the TP Tournament but never made it to the finals (Silas Young, Cheeseburger, Beer City Bruiser, Dalton Castle, Punisher Martinez, Jason Kinkaid).

I'm sure that PQ has a shot at making the cut if he impresses the right people during his match and that should be an easy sell unless someone at ROH is blind, retarded, or just cannot appreciate quality assbeatings..

I guess the question you have to ask is does PQ want a slot?  I was always under the impression that he stuck with local indies because he wasn't crazy about being on the road so much and spending too much time away from his family.  The travel schedule can take its toll on the home front.

Speaking of the dream OSE reunion I want to happen in ROH, I think that Damian Wayne mostly works NWA bookings now, but is Mike Booth still wrestling?  I haven't heard his name mentioned in forever.  I assumed he retired.

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

is Mike Booth still wrestling?  I haven't heard his name mentioned in forever.  I assumed he retired.

During the past several years, Booth wrestled almost exclusively for NWA Fusion/Fusion Wrestling.  Last time I saw him was on a card was early 2015.  He's still on the Fusion Wrestling roster page, for what that's worth, but I can't find any evidence he's wrestled anywhere since 2015.

Am I the only person who thinks the Memphis Mofo (Mark Bravura) could have a good run in 2017 ROH.  They have worse workers, and far worse characters. 

On 1/27/2017 at 6:26 AM, RIPPA said:

Is there a chance of this becoming an IPPV?

3 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Speaking of guys ROH should sign I think they'd be smart to start using Tim Donst going forward.

ROH should have been using Tim Donst since about 2007. I never will understand why he never got a shot. 

• Like 1