DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

The teams that can currently be forced to participate are the Baltimore Ravens, Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts, New Orleans Saints, Philadelphia Eagles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Tennessee Titans.

I've been hired as the new strength and conditioning coach by the Browns. They say I can work from home. Just send them youtube videos of other people working out. $9 million a year.

• Like 2

I will say... If Josh McDaniels doesn't get hired in this frenzy, I'll be laughing hysterically. I guess acting like a napoleonic jackass and decimating a franchise may just have consequences after all. The 49ers are pretty much it now. I'd guess that's where he'll end up, but I'll be okay with him sleeping on a wet pillow after every team has rejected him.

Wow - PLUS of all the venues in the area, the Chargers are going to be stuck in the StubHub Center for two years ... which seats 27,000 people and is a fantastic venue for MLS and high end high school football games.  

And stealing this from the Deadspin comments, but this really would be a more appropriate logo...

mockm1gtenryggsublew.png

• Like 4

27K stadium for an NFL game is actually a huge bonus for TV, there might actually be something resembling an actual sporting event atmosphere at one for the first time in years. As for the revenue, if the team's ownership wants to light a bunch of money on fire and doesn't care about it, why should I?

12 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

On a serious note, this move is probably the worst in modern major sports history. Generally a team moves to a new city for more money and has fans in that city excited to see them arrive. LA gives even less of a shit about the Chargers than SD does. From what I can tell they literally don't care, we saw in the 90s that LA isn't great at supporting local teams, its just a really bad idea.

I am surprised that the NFL didn't do more to try to block it as I am sure they have some measures in place, but I guess not enough. In no way does this benefit the NFL or NFL fans, its a lose-lose situation for all involved.

Goodell probably thinks LA has 2 teams in every other sport why not us.  We are the popular one.

7 hours ago, Ryan said:

They think they can expand seating somewhat because of how much bigger a pitch is compared to a football field, but I'm not sure how much.

30,000 is the number that I'm reading with expanded seating. 

It's great already with the Stubhub Center basically saying that the Galaxy are the top priority and if an NFL game were to conflict with MLS playoff that it would have to be moved.  I'm sure the NFL would take that well.

• Like 1

I'm loving people and legit franchises destroying the choice of the Chargers new logo.

Also, to echo everyone else, this will be a disaster for the Chargers. I have two friends who live in San Diego and they, along with the majority of the people that live there, have been ultra annoyed at the push for a new stadium when no one goes to the current stadium. The last dumb idea they told me about was some kind of a hotel tax to fund the stadium. Anyway, yes, San Diego barely cares about their sports franchises. LA is likely to care even less.

1 hour ago, Robert C said:

I can't wait for the first Rams vs. Chargers game in LA.  Something tells me it might end up lower than some of these games, no matter which stadium they play in.

For some reason, as a boxing fan, I'm picturing the Chargers using the small arena next door (which has been used for boxing frequently save for the first Stub Hub fight, De La Hoya vs. Steve Forbes) and just laugh at the visual of the Chargers using an intramural football field for two years.

6 hours ago, CSC said:

30,000 is the number that I'm reading with expanded seating. 

It's great already with the Stubhub Center basically saying that the Galaxy are the top priority and if an NFL game were to conflict with MLS playoff that it would have to be moved.  I'm sure the NFL would take that well.

After all the years of being in the opposite situation you have no idea how much I would love for MLS to be able to shit on a gridball team. Garber needs to make sure this happens (and he will).

From the ESPN article, it's not the scheduled games but the possible playoff games that could cause a conflict.

http://www.espnfc.us/la-galaxy/story/3037505/la-galaxy-to-remain-stubhub-centers-priority-not-los-angeles-chargers

Should any scheduling conflicts arise later in the season should the Galaxy make the playoffs, Hannan maintained their games would remain the priority over a scheduled Chargers regular season game.

Because the Rose Bowl are pretentious assholes, basically.

They've denied pretty much every request to use their Stadium for an NFL team for whatever reason.  When it was brought to a vote a couple years ago, it got voted down 11-0 claiming that a music & arts festival was more on brand for the city.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-rose-bowl-nfl-20150708-story.html

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ryan said:

They probably have a point. A 1/3 filled Rose Bowl wouldn't look goof for aesthetics.

They do have a point.  A music and arts festival *is* more on brand for the city.

• Like 1