RIPPA

NFL
2017 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

982 posts in this topic

The answer to me, is simple. Don't let the NFL get away with being able to sign guys to massive deals, and then cut them and pay them pennies on the dollar. The other three major leagues in North America have to pay all the money out if they cut a guy, or if he is too injured to continue. There's not a damn reason why the NFL does not have guaranteed contracts, other than the players union won't stand up to the owners to get them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dewar said:

The answer to me, is simple. Don't let the NFL get away with being able to sign guys to massive deals, and then cut them and pay them pennies on the dollar. The other three major leagues in North America have to pay all the money out if they cut a guy, or if he is too injured to continue. There's not a damn reason why the NFL does not have guaranteed contracts, other than the players union won't stand up to the owners to get them.

They still could run out of money though, it doesn't resolve the bigger issue. Not all players are cut with large sums of money left on their contract, that doesn't help players that just fizzle out naturally, or only play three years and only are on their rookie contracts. NBA and MLB players go broke too.

Plus, the players elect who represents them so you're still indirectly blaming the players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe someone should accidentally push Roger Goodell down a flight of stairs and elect Richard Sherman as new Commish.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Who put them in that situation, themselves? The problem is, you are just listing problems, no solutions. Should the NFL set a minimum age of 25? Withhold some of their money to give them post retirement, like a forced investment? Should players only get to get paid 250K a year max, and spread out the pay for however long it takes (so if they sign a 10 million dollar deal, they get 250K for 40 years)? Everyone always lists problems, but no real solutions, do you like any of those? Should NFL teams pay players every year the rest of their lives so they have money to waste? I'd love that deal, sign me up. If I win 10 million dollars in the lottery and waste it all in ten years, who do I blame?

It is their responsibility to figure out what to do with their money, and figure out what they will do post retirement. Not mine, not yours, not the NFL. People ranging from Elton John to Mike Tyson ran out of money. Mayweather can't pay his taxes. Giving them more money or a severance package isn't the solution, so what is? People type a lot of words on problems, less on solutions, because there aren't many. The most straight forward solution is "players get smarter with their money" unless you have better and realistic ideas.

There are plenty of exploitive situations that people get themselves in, but we realize that they are exploitive.  The core of the problem is putting people too young to make these type of decisions in a place where their body is broken, and paying them a wage that while high, is not enough to live the rest of their lives with said broken body.  If all of the players were paid like starting quarterbacks, it would be one thing, but they are being paid like people with high paid office workers.  The difference is office workers get paid over decades, have little to no injury risk, and have the luxury of making their money over time so they have experience managing money.  The lottery is also exploitative, giving someone a large sum of money that they have no way of managing has been proven time and time again to be disastrous.  It doesn't help that financial advisors steal millions of dollars with little to no consequences.

OK, so solutions.  All that NCAA football money, put it in a trust for the players.  Make NFL contracts guaranteed  Put a1/4 of their salaries in an interest bearing fund that will pay them over time.  Prosecute financial people who steal from people, and actually send them to prison like the criminals they are.  Don't treat people like they are disposable.  Don't exploit people.  Don't steal from people.           

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, supremebve said:

There are plenty of exploitive situations that people get themselves in, but we realize that they are exploitive.  The core of the problem is putting people too young to make these type of decisions in a place where their body is broken, and paying them a wage that while high, is not enough to live the rest of their lives with said broken body.  If all of the players were paid like starting quarterbacks, it would be one thing, but they are being paid like people with high paid office workers.  The difference is office workers get paid over decades, have little to no injury risk, and have the luxury of making their money over time so they have experience managing money.  The lottery is also exploitative, giving someone a large sum of money that they have no way of managing has been proven time and time again to be disastrous.  It doesn't help that financial advisors steal millions of dollars with little to no consequences.

OK, so solutions.  All that NCAA football money, put it in a trust for the players.  Make NFL contracts guaranteed  Put a1/4 of their salaries in an interest bearing fund that will pay them over time.  Prosecute financial people who steal from people, and actually send them to prison like the criminals they are.  Don't treat people like they are disposable.  Don't exploit people.  Don't steal from people.           

We can agree that the NCAA system is broken against players and getting rid of the financial groups that are taking advantage of them. Hell remember those companies that popped up during the last strike and gave those ridiculous loans to players (I think Vince Young being the famous example), they need to do something about those people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

We can agree that the NCAA system is broken against players and getting rid of the financial groups that are taking advantage of them. Hell remember those companies that popped up during the last strike and gave those ridiculous loans to players (I think Vince Young being the famous example), they need to do something about those people.

The sheer number of problems that exist purely because of all the ways that we allow people to be exploited is astronomical.  There are large parts of our economy that are based on the exploitation of people who don't know any better.  The real estate market is based on the cycle of housing discrimination, white flight, and gentrification.  Credit card companies set up shop at colleges to get people into lifelong debt, before they're old enough to know better.  Insurance companies have continuously gouged people to the point health care costs have increased to the point that they have no actual correlation to the actual costs of healthcare.  This is not an NFL issue as much as it is a capitalism issue, but the rules are working against these players in a way that isn't fair to them at all.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2017 at 3:53 PM, sabremike said:

They know the risks works better if the league hadn't literally spent decades trying to hide and deny the damage the game was doing to the players.

Even with their hiding things there are enough stories out there like Conrad Dobler unable to walk up a few steps and Curt Marsh and his amputated lower leg etc but theres always hundreds of ball players coming up every year that are convinced that wont happen to them.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.