DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Am I the only one who doesn't think it's a great idea to take a guy who has never done a minute of commentary on that level and make him the lead guy? People think he will be very good but there is no guarantee that will be the case. Start him out in the middle instead of throwing him into a position he may not be ready for.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Am I the only one who doesn't think it's a great idea to take a guy who has never done a minute of commentary on that level and make him the lead guy? 

I think that may have been part of that agreement. When you want to sign someone who is going to have multiple suitors to make him an on-air talent, you might have to add something to the deal.

Also, Phil Simms.

Another counterargument is that networks are willing to take more chances. HBO has had one of the best sports PBP guys ever in Jim Lampley for the better part of 4 decades. Roy Jones has been doing color commentary since 93 or 94 and has only been passable only the last 2-3 years at most. Twenty years is a long time to suck ass at a job and still keep it when you have an all-time great next to you who didn't help you improve sometime during said two decades. If HBO can get away with that, CBS can give Romo a shot.

53 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think that may have been part of that agreement. When you want to sign someone who is going to have multiple suitors to make him an on-air talent, you might have to add something to the deal.

Also, Phil Simms.

Another counterargument is that networks are willing to take more chances. HBO has had one of the best sports PBP guys ever in Jim Lampley for the better part of 4 decades. Roy Jones has been doing color commentary since 93 or 94 and has only been passable only the last 2-3 years at most. Twenty years is a long time to suck ass at a job and still keep it when you have an all-time great next to you who didn't help you improve sometime during said two decades. If HBO can get away with that, CBS can give Romo a shot.

I think it had to be the price of admission for Romo. I have no idea how good he will be but its not physically possible to be worse than Phil Simms. There's something like 4 months for him to practice, and being a color guy isn't THAT  hard. . . 

Speaking of Dallas - they are the "favorites" to be the next host of the draft

And Amazon landed the rights to stream the Thursday Night games. So they will be available on Amazon Prime

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Speaking of Dallas - they are the "favorites" to be the next host of the draft

And Amazon landed the rights to stream the Thursday Night games. So they will be available on Amazon Prime

FWIW it would be at the newly built "The Star" in Frisco, TX.

Miami has signed Chicago QB

Spoiler

David Fales

to a contract.  He'll compete with Tannehill & Moore.

Also Chad Eight-Five-In-Spanish is working out with the Phins and looking to make a comeback (as a cornerback). 

CBS Sports is reporting that Rex "dedicated last season to resurrection his brother's reputation" and "gave him run of the place."   

It clearly went well.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-rex-ryan-gave-brother-rob-run-of-the-place-during-bills-disastrous-2016/

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

CBS Sports is reporting that Rex "dedicated last season to resurrection his brother's reputation" and "gave him run of the place."   

It clearly went well.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-rex-ryan-gave-brother-rob-run-of-the-place-during-bills-disastrous-2016/

Well that explains quite a lot. . . 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DouglasC said:

TJ Yates has signed with the Bills. I seriously had no idea he was still in the league, but apparently he'll back up Tyrod. It is April, and I'm already depressed about the season.

I doubt he can be that much worse than EJ was, and they might take a QB in the draft, though the rumors I read about Whaley "falling in love" with the Clemson QB are not encouraging. . . .

On 07/04/2017 at 10:09 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Miami has signed Chicago QB

Hide contents

David Fales

to a contract.  He'll compete with Tannehill & Moore.

Also Chad Eight-Five-In-Spanish is working out with the Phins and looking to make a comeback (as a cornerback). 

I wish Eight-Five luck but he didn't exactly light it up in the CFL a couple years ago. Great twitter character more or less, though.

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

I wish Eight-Five luck but he didn't exactly light it up in the CFL a couple years ago. Great twitter character more or less, though.

I think he should come back to Cincy and take over the role of our mascot Who Dey. That's probably more realistic than an NFL comeback for him at this point.

4 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I doubt he can be that much worse than EJ was, and they might take a QB in the draft, though the rumors I read about Whaley "falling in love" with the Clemson QB are not encouraging. . . .

Is there a reason they don't like Tyrod?  He's not Tom Brady, but he's an above average starting quarterback in a league full of terrible quarterbacks.