DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

On 6/20/2017 at 1:56 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

"His plan was always to play football and then, when his career was over, kill himself." Thanks to several people within the Chiefs organization, he found a reason to live.

Former NE and KC o-lineman Ryan O'Callaghan has come out.

We really need to do something about the psychology around football.  I remember in high school, me and a couple of my teammates were discussing whether we'd feel bad if we killed a guy on the field.  We unanimously agreed that we wouldn't care at all.  I honestly don't think any of us were telling the truth, but that is the kind of mentality we had to have when trying to hit another kid as hard as we could.  I've done various martial arts and I think football is the only sport where you are trained to hurt people without remorse.  If someone was to break a dude's arm in a jiu-jitsu competition, I'm pretty sure everybody I know would be pissed that the person didn't tap.  In football you kind of just move on like nothing happened.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, supremebve said:

We really need to do something about the psychology around football.  I remember in high school, me and a couple of my teammates were discussing whether we'd feel bad if we killed a guy on the field.  We unanimously agreed that we wouldn't care at all.  I honestly don't think any of us were telling the truth, but that is the kind of mentality we had to have when trying to hit another kid as hard as we could.  I've done various martial arts and I think football is the only sport where you are trained to hurt people without remorse.  If someone was to break a dude's arm in a jiu-jitsu competition, I'm pretty sure everybody I know would be pissed that the person didn't tap.  In football you kind of just move on like nothing happened.

The lack of remorse I had about putting someone on a stretcher with their head immobilized kind of scares me now. It was just kind of a freak thing, two of my teammates had the ball carrier wrapped up, I went on for the clean up hit, he fell forward at the same time, my full weight right on the top of his head.

Ironically enough, he had been the tackler that broke one of my teammate's arm earlier in the game, they wound up in the same room at the hospital, and the kids was afaik, fine so I'm not still carrying guilt, but yeah, I wasn't at all concerned until hours later.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The lack of remorse I had about putting someone on a stretcher with their head immobilized kind of scares me now. It was just kind of a freak thing, two of my teammates had the ball carrier wrapped up, I went on for the clean up hit, he fell forward at the same time, my full weight right on the top of his head.

Ironically enough, he had been the tracker that broke one of my teammate's arm earlier in the game, they wound up in the same room at the hospital, and the kids was afaik, fine so I'm not still carrying guilt, but yeah, I wasn't at all concerned until hours later.

I remember one of our teammates got a compound fracture in his arm, and it is legitimately the most disgusting thing I've ever seen.  Our reaction as a team was to watch him get carted off, and then keep practicing.  I don't even remember that kid's name.  It didn't affect my life more than the 5 minutes after it happened.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well we are 5 hours away from Kirk Cousins being a Redskins for one more year and that is it.  Unless they are Browns stupid and give him another franchise tag at around $31 million

The spin from the Skins tomorrow is going to be glorious

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Well we are 5 hours away from Kirk Cousins being a Redskins for one more year and that is it.  Unless they are Browns stupid and give him another franchise tag at around $31 million

The spin from the Skins tomorrow is going to be glorious

If you are Kirk Cousins would you sign anything less than a $31 million dollar contract with that team?  They've essentially told him they don't believe in him as their long-term quarterback for 3 years, so why would he give them any kind of discount.  If I'm Kirk, I'd be like the Goodfellas, "Fuck you. Pay me."

• Like 1