DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Chargers and Rams stadium delayed a year until 2020

According to Sam Farmer and Nathan Fenno of the Los Angeles Times, the opening of the shared NFL stadium in Inglewood has been delayed by a year because of rain.

The $2.6 billion stadium was supposed to open for both teams in 2019, but record rainfalls during the excavation for the building pushed back the schedule.

“The continuing rains really knocked us for a loop,” Bob Aylesworth, principal in charge of the project said. “It was a very unforgiving two months for the project. And speaking from a building perspective, it really couldn’t have come at a worse time.”

The area received 15.4 inches of rain from November (when they broke ground) to February, which is double the normal amount.

Rams chief operating officer Kevin Demoff said if only one team were playing there, there’s a chance it could have been ready for at least parts of 2019, but they decided to push the whole timeline back a year.

The Rams will remain at the Coliseum in 2019, as their original lease had an option for that already. The Chargers will play another year in the 30,000-seat StubHub Center in Carson.

The stadium is scheduled to host the Super Bowl in February 2021, and league rules have said a new building can’t host the game in its first year.

On 5/18/2017 at 10:52 AM, RIPPA said:

Chargers and Rams stadium delayed a year until 2020

They now each apparently have to "host" a 2019 International Series game as a result of this, because any team playing in a "temporary stadium" has to host an international game.

I guess the Vikings got out of that because they hosted an international game in 2013, the year before they moved into TCF Bank Stadium for two years while U.S. Bank Stadium was being built.

The NFL has announced that touchdown celebrations are nice and legal again.  

The ball may be used as a prop again. Celebrations may happen on the ground. And group celebrations are A-OK.

http://deadspin.com/humorless-butthole-roger-goodell-concludes-that-fun-is-1795475113

I turned on Deadspin pretty hard when Why Your Team Sucks veered hard away from good football comedy into "LOL REDNECKS AND PEE" every third line. Plus the Vikings fan that wrote it asked Packers fans to kill themselves because he couldn't come up with a real punchline.

The LA experiment is already doomed, isn't it?  And this time, they'll have to find new homes for two teams.  Lol. It's only an attractive market if they'll actually support your product.  

Oh, well.  Better luck in 2031 when the... um.... Steelers and Patriots... relocate to LA.

25 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Oh, well.  Better luck in 2031 when the... um.... Steelers and Patriots... relocate to LA.

Hopefully Tom Brady will be retired by then. :(

The '23 Super Bowl bidding process is going to be a complete farce, because Las Vegas and the shiny new Raiders stadium is an absolute mortal lock to get it. 

3 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

The LA experiment is already doomed, isn't it?  And this time, they'll have to find new homes for two teams.  Lol. It's only an attractive market if they'll actually support your product.  

It was doomed long before these stadium issues - the best is that the cause for the delay was because of record rainfall - something that it really seems like you could have been prepared for and not cost an entire year delay of a new stadium.  

That being said - I'm pretty shocked at the crowds the Rams were continuing to draw in the Colosseum last year.  While the enthusiasm for the team(s) doesn't exist, the desire for live football is definitely there.  And by the time people lose interest, the shiny new stadium will draw them in again.  

So that should buy the Rams & Chargers around a decade - but yea... then they're fucked.  

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Hopefully Tom Brady will be retired by then. :(

Don't kid yourself.  The Pats starting QB in 2031 will either be a 25-year-old clone of Tom Brady or Brady in a shiny new robot body.  The biggest change will be Bill Belichick.  He'll still be coaching the Pats, but he'll be a head in a jar (Futurama-style).  "The Dome" will guide the Patriots to 76 more championships through 2130.

5 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Don't kid yourself.  The Pats starting QB in 2031 will either be a 25-year-old clone of Tom Brady or Brady in a shiny new robot body.  The biggest change will be Bill Belichick.  He'll still be coaching the Pats, but he'll be a head in a jar (Futurama-style).  "The Dome" will guide the Patriots to 76 more championships through 2130.

I'll support this as long as a headless Gronkowski is OC, patrolling the sidelines, constantly growling and randomly spiking balls a la Agnew.

7 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Grr.  You DO know I can ban you now.... 

1.gif

1 minute ago, DangerMark said:

I'll support this as long as a headless Gronkowski is OC, patrolling the sidelines, constantly growling and randomly spiking balls a la Agnew.

And Gronkowski is going to be too busy being President.  

• Like 2

Dolfan says it would be an improvement, so he can't ban me, it's part of the code of the Mod. I make something up that you said, you go along with it or act confused, like Rippa not knowing a Dave Chappelle sketch.

• Like 1

Gronk's tax breaks would be on alcohol and Monster Energy drinks. Actual tax breaks that the middle class would benefit from. I hate the Patriots, and don't live in America, but I would volunteer to be an intern to the Secretary of Cocktail Parties.

Getting back to other stupid football related things

Spiking the ball over the goal posts is still banned as it is considered a prop and the potential of delaying the game (still looking at you Jimmy Graham)