DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

10 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Otherwise, tell me where else they go?  

Like I said, Oakland, SF, LA, and Phoenix are all almost assuredly going to laugh in his face if he asks to play there.

In all likeliness, it'd either be a city like San Antonio, Toronto, or some other city that'd want a potential expansion team and would want to prove themselves to the NFL.

Worst case for that, if they had to, the NFL has them take designated London team for two years and they play home games there- but that'd be prepping for an expansion full-time as well.

On 3/27/2017 at 1:24 PM, Pete said:

I just lost my shit picturing the Raiders going full circle and playing out the string at Kezar Stadium.

Kezar Stadium is still beautiful. 

I'm a now ex Raider fan. I'd be happy to see them kicked out of Oakland before this season. Let them play in Frank Louell Field again. Even if it is a parking lot. 

On 3/28/2017 at 6:12 PM, SirFozzie said:

They have leases on the Oakland Coliseum for 2017 and 18 (team options), so, yeah, they're playing in Oakland. They may not have FANS, but they're playing in Oakland.

Ask the Titans how playing out the string in Houston worked for them.

11 hours ago, Pete said:

Ask the Titans how playing out the string in Houston worked for them.

The only regular season NFL game I've ever attended was one of those - 95 vs the Bucs.  Buddy of mine worked for a liquor distributor that owned a bunch of season tickets, but none of their clients wanted to be subjected to Oilers football, so they dumped the tickets on their employees.  The whole experience can best be described as pathetic.  The Oilers were on their way out.  The Astrodome was a worn out dump by then.  Nobody in the stands gave a shit.

He'll hopefully help the 2nd half of the season.   

Also, the reason why Kaepernick has been blackballed has been revealed!   He's asking for $9-10 million and a chance to start.   So... 

cryingbaldeagle.gif

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The Dolphins have signed TJ McDonald - he of the freshly minted 8 game suspension

The Dolphins were desperate for safety help in the later part of the season. This is fire insurance. 

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

He'll hopefully help the 2nd half of the season.   

Also, the reason why Kaepernick has been blackballed has been revealed!   He's asking for $9-10 million and a chance to start.   So... 

cryingbaldeagle.gif

...Mike Glennon got $14 million.  That is the counter to every single anti-Kaepernick argument.  He's not good any more...Mike Glennon got $14 million.  He is a system quarterback...Mike Glennon got $14 million.  He doesn't see the field very well...Mike Glennon got $14 million.  If Mike Glennon can get $14 million, Kaepernick, who all the film study guys think played well despite his surrounding talent, should be able to get signed.  It really shuts down every single "reason" he's NOT being blackballed.  Every team in the league dresses at least 2 quarterbacks every single game, there is no way he isn't one of the top 64.  I'm pretty sure he's top 25, because there just aren't that many good quarterbacks.  

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

People can say what they want about Kaep but when he was really firing he was making throws on the run that maybe 6 QB's alive could make. He's clearly a very talented guy.

I understand the criticisms of Kaep, but as far as physical talent goes he's probably top 5 in the league.  Cam, Luck, Rodgers...then probably Kaep.  There are better quarterbacks, there aren't many more talented quarterbacks.  The other thing is that he has shown in the past that he's capable of greatness.  There are so many quarterbacks on so many rosters who have never shown that they can be even average, but somehow he's not good enough.

• Like 1

Two Things

1) PFT has pretty much debunked the KAEP IS DEMANDING $10 MILLION STORY. Dolfan with the OSJ-esqe run in with old news there

2) To supreme's point that Mike Glennon's contract shut downs any argument.

Just because one team is fiscally irresponsible doesn't mean the other 31 teams should be

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Two Things

1) PFT has pretty much debunked the KAEP IS DEMANDING $10 MILLION STORY. Dolfan with the OSJ-esqe run in with old news there

Just because one team is fiscally irresponsible doesn't mean the other 31 teams should be

If you look at the quarterback market, Glennon's contract isn't crazy.  Saying Kaep isn't worth $10 million in this market is crazy.  There are 32 teams in the league and Kaep is better than the starter on more than a couple of those teams.  $15 is pretty much the cheapest you can get a starting caliber quarterback, IF Kaep was asking fro $10 he'd be offering a fairly big discount.  Not to mention the fact that he could have got $14 million from the 49ers but decided to opt out of his contract.  

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Two Things

The other thing about Kaepernick is this.

He's the one that decided his best move was to opt out of his contract. The option was his, not the team's. He had a year on his contract at $16.9 million including bonuses. He (and, presumably, his agent) thought that he could do better and that opting out of his contract with the Niners was his best move.

He appears to have greatly overestimated his value and the impact of what he had done in the eyes of owners across the league. I mean, seriously, did his representation not put out some sort of feelers and come back and tell him that opting out might be a bad idea? I thought that was what agents did.

3 minutes ago, supremebve said:

If you look at the quarterback market, Glennon's contract isn't crazy.  Saying Kaep isn't worth $10 million in this market is crazy.  There are 32 teams in the league and Kaep is better than the starter on more than a couple of those teams.  $15 is pretty much the cheapest you can get a starting caliber quarterback, IF Kaep was asking fro $10 he'd be offering a fairly big discount.  Not to mention the fact that he could have got $14 million from the 49ers but decided to opt out of his contract.  

Unless you are the Skins who think you can pay a starting QB league minimum

And yes - Glennon's contract is crazy.

But the entire QB market is crazy in and of itself

The issue is that if Kaep wants to be a starter, it limits the number of teams that will sign him. Then from that number, you have to subtract any that don't think he is worth any potential PR issues. Which probably only leaves a couple teams. It isn't that Kaep isn't good enough to compete for a starting job on several teams, but it is doubtful that any team is just going to sign him and annoint him the starter so if he wants to make starter pay it will likely be incentive-laden based on games started if he wins the job.

Course this is all hypothetical since no one knows what he is asking for. Zach Brown (former Bills LB) is having a similar issue. He wants a long term deal with starting pay, no one is offering it to him so he is just waiting. Kaep isn't the only person in this position, he is just getting more publicity for obvious reasons.