DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

He should be in. We all know why Owens hasn't been inducted yet, I don't think anyone denies his stats are good enough. But its not just based on stats, I think he is being punished for being a shitty teammate for quite a few years. He'll get in. Plus WRs for some reason take longer to get than other positions, that I have no explanation for. But I dunno why anyone could care that much, Hall of Fames never are about just the best players, there is always politics involved.

To be fair, the one year he was on the Bills, Terrell Owens was both a solid teammate and player, he did improve on that as he got older. And one could certainly argue they need to change the voters from media to former players but I don't see anything that major happening. At least the NFL HoF doesn't mind giving people 100% of the votes, that has always annoyed me about MLB. Who the hell wouldn't vote for Greg Maddux based on anything. Grumble.

• Like 1

All the team stuff is nonsense though. The 49ers were better with TO and there's no arguing it. All or most big time receivers are divas. They had a decade of losing after he was gone.  On Philly, he damn near singlehandedly won them the Super Bowl.  He came back from a torn up leg months early and had 122 yards against the prime Pats defense. He's 2nd is yards all time. He's 3rd in touchdowns receiving all time.

Anyone who isn't voting for him should have their ballot revoked. Screw waiting. He shouldn't have to.

34 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I wasn't disagreeing he should be in, just pointing out this isn't the first time this has happened and is just the nature of the beast when its media people doing the voting, which is how the NFL set it up for whatever reason.

It's just ridiculous to me. It's not the hall of "who was nicest to media members". 

Shouldn't Jerry Jones' contributions to the game be cancelled out by the fact he is one of the worst GMs, ever? His arrogance in insisting he make personnel decisions has made the Cowboys pretty much irrelevant on the field since Jimmy Johnson left. Him being a HOFer gave me a good chuckle. 

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Anyone who thinks Davis didn't belong is insane... It wasn't "three great seasons" it was arguably the best three year stretch in NFL history by a running back.

Delighted that TD finally got in.  Generational talent with a moderate sample size should be respected alongside the accumulators.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Shouldn't Jerry Jones' contributions to the game be cancelled out by the fact he is one of the worst GMs, ever? His arrogance in insisting he make personnel decisions has made the Cowboys pretty much irrelevant on the field since Jimmy Johnson left. Him being a HOFer gave me a good chuckle. 

I'm no Cowboys defender, but Jones did arguably more than any other individual owner in the modern era to get the NFL to where it is today. Yea he made some shitty GM moves but he does have three SB rings in 30 years which is more than most owners can say. I think he is nuts, but his accomplishments outweigh his mistakes, that would be like saying Favre shouldn't be in because he threw a million INTs, the good overcomes that.

• Like 2

So, Tony Romo to Houston. How does that happen? Should it happen? What happens if it does? (Romo injured in preseason out for the year)

Cap wise, he'd have to get released and signed for below market value.

In a perfect world, it probably should happen. To expect Brock to improve is probably the definition of insanity. And Savage isn't the answer. And I don't think there's any Dak Prescott in this draft.

Of course, it's not a perfect world, and if he did go to the Texans, he'd probably get hurt like, immediately.

Assuming what La Canfora is true (and as stated earlier, large chunks of salt), the Bills want him desperately. So Houston would have to pony up a draft pick or three and beg him to restructure. Plus, Houston does have to deal with Bork's contract cap hit.  

(Not to mention that they're not simply a QB away from beating New England and/or Pittsburgh. So going all in there for 1 or 2 seasons of Romo, tops, doesn't make that much sense.)

Interview: Atlanta, GA

Falcons: You're up 8 points, with 3 minutes to go and have the ball on offense.  What do you call?  

Steve Sarkasian: I have Devonta Freeman, right?  Run.  3 times.  What kind of idiot doesn't do that. 

Falcons: *twitch*  You're hired. 

• Like 2

That's a fascinating hire because a quick watch of this year's National Title game would show that Sark fucked Bama pretty much the same way Shanahan fucked Atlanta in the Super Bowl.

I guess Dan Quinn has very specific tastes in OCs.

Well that escalated quickly. I feel bad for them getting fired because unless it was something they were planning to do win or lose the super bowl than that is shit. Their D-Line especially played fantastic the first half it wasn't the coaches fault that they were on the field as much as they were 

• Like 1

Just saw the OTL piece on Mike Adamle. Everyone used to laugh at him screwing up but it's now sadly obvious what caused it. I genuinely feel bad for laughing at the "Jeff Harvey" line knowing what I now know.