DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

It could be a landing spot if Romo is released, but there's no way in hades that they trade for him.

I also think that people have the Broncos going after him because they went after Peyton Manning. Romo has been a good to very good quarterback. Manning is inarguably one of the top ten of all time and arguably in the top five or best ever. There's a difference.

The only FA for you guys I see that could command big money would be Alexander, Kevin. You'd know more than I would how they feel about Gilmore, but I think you could easily let him walk and grab a corner in the draft. As far as Romo goes, I wasn't saying that they'd trade for Romo and his massive cap hit, just that the Bills would probably have the most ideal situation, personnel/money-wise, if/when Tony gets cut and they can find a taker for Tyrod.

9 hours ago, KidNatural said:

It could be a landing spot if Romo is released, but there's no way in hades that they trade for him.

I also think that people have the Broncos going after him because they went after Peyton Manning. Romo has been a good to very good quarterback. Manning is inarguably one of the top ten of all time and arguably in the top five or best ever. There's a difference.

They're saying it because Simien is very clearly not the answer.  He's one of the bigger reasons they went from Super Bowl winners to out of the playoffs. They need a QB but probably won't get a quality one in the draft unless they trade up. (And that's ignoring the other needs they have to fill, like making sure their QB isn't decapitated on every play.)

15 hours ago, APO said:

The only FA for you guys I see that could command big money would be Alexander, Kevin. You'd know more than I would how they feel about Gilmore, but I think you could easily let him walk and grab a corner in the draft. As far as Romo goes, I wasn't saying that they'd trade for Romo and his massive cap hit, just that the Bills would probably have the most ideal situation, personnel/money-wise, if/when Tony gets cut and they can find a taker for Tyrod.

I think the chances of Gilmore being a Bill next year are about 10%. He wants the biggest contract he can get, which I don't blame him for, but he won't get it from the Bills. They *might* tag him, that's the only way I see him being on the team. He wants Top 5 CB money and traditionally the Bills let secondary players walk when they want the big bucks (Byrd most recently). While picking up a CB in the draft may work, they have bigger holes to fill (namely safety and probably LB if they don't resign Brown/Alexander), so I doubt they'd be able to draft someone that is Day 1 Ready in the mid-rounds. They also need WR help since their #2 and #3 WRs are FAs.

There are many reasons I don't envy GMs, there are so many moving parts and while I am pro-salary cap it does make life more difficult. I really don't know what the Bills' plan is this offseason with so many free agents. I am not anti-Romo, I think he is a very good QB, I just don't think he is worth $20 million with his injury history/age unless the Bills are really confident in Cardale developing into a starter to take his place down the road.

16 hours ago, KidNatural said:

Even if that were true, it doesn't matter. It's all about how much teams value Tony Romo given the QB situation around the league. The draft is becoming a crapshoot for rookie QBs and it's not as if there's a bunch of Jeff Garcia types these days who can act as a decent stop-gap. If you have a semblance of a good QB it might not be worth it to take the gamble, but the Texans and Broncos have to be salivating at the chance to add Romo. It's one big game of chicken unless someone offers up anything for him. Then the Cowboys will see the picks come flying in from all sides.

I can agree somewhat with Tomlinson, Warner and Anderson.

Terrell Davis?  He's lucky to have played on the SB teams with Elway, because we've seen Shanny be able to throw generic RBs into his scheme and get similar results.

Jason Taylor?  I guess because of his sack totals?

With Davis going in, TO becomes the best snubbed player.

Anyone who thinks Davis didn't belong is insane. Le'Veon Bell is the closest we've seen to TD in the nearly two decades since he got hurt. It wasn't "three great seasons" it was arguably the best three year stretch in NFL history by a running back, and none of those plug and play Shannan backs have ever been nearly as good as Davis was. The combination of vision, patience, and explosion through the hole was unprecedented and punishing him because injuries derailed him after four seasons was crazy. He should have been first ballot.

Looking at the list of people in basically positions 10-6 and how anyone thinks they should be even considered for the Hall of Fame is embarrassing.  The idea the TO, Issac Bruce, and Joe Jacoby can't make the top 10 while guys like Ty Law and Kevin Mewae can is mind boggling.  The only one in the 10-6 list I would even think of is Tony Boselli

3 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Basically if your Peter King's buddy or favorite, your in. If your not, your chance is much less, or if you make it in, he'll pout about in print like he did with Andre Reed.

Well, that is sort of true.  Look how long it took Art Monk to make it in.  And all it took was King to change his mind after talking to Gibbs.  I guess I'm still shocked that people will blindly follow King like that.

1 hour ago, dogwelder said:

Terrell Davis?  He's lucky to have played on the SB teams with Elway, because we've seen Shanny be able to throw generic RBs into his scheme and get similar results.

Gale Sayers had less of a career than TD did and nobody complains about him. Davis belongs and is a no-brainer.