DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I have friends in San Diego. They don't give a shit about football and certainly didn't want to pay money for something they didn't go to. Not to mention that they didn't want to pay for this bullshit for the vast amount of ways suggested, like the hotel tax increase. Basically, people traveling to San Diego for whatever reason, like Comic Con, are paying for some bullshit they don't care about. The Chargers ownership must have some pretty big balls to say, "well, if the residents of San Diego don't want to pay for this stadium they won't care about, then how about we make everyone traveling to San Diego help pay for it!" That's bullshit. Pay for it with your own fucking money you fucking mooches.

And yes, they do assume correctly that comic con is a bigger draw.

So if no one gives a shit about football in SD, why all of the moaning and wailing unless they just don't want anything to go to LA?

The owner of and NFL team being a fucking leech is hardly original behavior. If the taxpayers are opposed to a deal, then they should be happy that the Chargers are gone and should take this opportunity to say, "Fuck you and good riddance."  Tear down the stadium and do something else with the land.

Let the shitty Chargers be LA's cross to bear.

And fuck yeah, if the answer to recovering revenue is to make Comic Con last a week and a half instead of four days, I am all in.

• Like 1

It's not that people are moaning and wailing about them going to LA, it's more about lampooning them for thinking this would be a better move for them. They could have easily stayed where they were in their same stadium, or hell, build the new stadium, but instead they chose the far dumber route of going to a city who will like them even less to share a small stadium while the new one is built. I doubt many in San Diego are mourning the loss of the Chargers, but I do think, as with many things, that schadenfreude is fun.

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It's not that people are moaning and wailing about them going to LA, it's more about lampooning them for thinking this would be a better move for them.

Given LA's history with the Raiders and Rams V.1, clearly this is the stupidest move the Chargers could've made.

The streets of SD should be covered with posters bearing the likeness of George Santayana.

Just now, J.T. said:

Given LA's history with the Raiders and Rams V.1, clearly this is the stupidest move the Chargers could've made.

Yeah, obviously. There had to have been far better locations for the Chargers to move to, or, like I said, just stay in San Diego where at least you have SOMETHING of a fanbase. Hell, be the team that moves to Toronto to spare the Bills from that fate.

• Like 1

Maybe the Raiders will re-brand when they move to Vegas, then the Chargers can buy the rights to the Raiders likeness and everyone can be happy.  

Cause that's pretty much the only way this might work.  

One other thing...How dumb is Spanos? You operate in the same town as the Padres where the Padres ownership looks at attendance as rubes continuing to pay for a product that isn't going to get better. AJ Preller is STILL the GM of the Padres. He was suspended FFS! Preller is nearly at the point where he's making Kevin Towers look good. And year after year the Padres will happily continue taking the money from whoever attends their games. The Chargers could have done the same and actually have a better shot at putting a winning team on the field and increasing attendance than the Padres do.

15 minutes ago, CSC said:

Maybe the Raiders will re-brand when they move to Vegas.

Given the $300 I gambled away last year in Vegas and the cost of eating at a fucking buffet in the MGM Grand, the Raiders brand is somewhat fitting.  The fucking pirate imagery definitely fits.

• Like 1

It's just minutes away too! Think of the tailgates! The Bills fans are jumping through tables and doing other...lewd...acts in their tailgates when there's a donkey show at the Chargers tailgate.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Can the league expand into Mexico? The Tijuana Chargers has a nice ring to it...

Given the imminent change in administration set to go down tomorrow, I think that is a really bad idea.

Now I am laughing at the prospect of the owner of the Tijuana Chargers telling taxpayers that they should cover the team's share of the border wall that the Americans made Mexico pay for.

• Like 2

Just remember that the injury report being this manditory thing has NOTHING to do with gambling. Nosiree!

Seriously, other than for gamblers why should you have to publicly say a guy is hurt? So the other team knows to target the guy? It makes no sense.

• Like 3

As someone who likes to wager on sports, I greatly appreciate the NFL injury report. Let's be honest here, their massive popularity is based on gambling and fantasy football, because the quality of play has been the shits for awhile. Cater to your audience, and tell me who is hurt!!!

On 1/19/2017 at 5:50 PM, sabremike said:

Just remember that the injury report being this manditory thing has NOTHING to do with gambling. Nosiree!

Seriously, other than for gamblers why should you have to publicly say a guy is hurt? So the other team knows to target the guy? It makes no sense.

Best rationale for the injury report that I've heard is that NFL thinks gamblers will still try try to root out the info and the NFL would rather make these things public than have to try to figure out who is feeding the gamblers info and why.

On 1/19/2017 at 1:24 PM, SirFozzie said:

The Seachickens could lose a second round draft pick for hiding Richard Sherman's Injury status for half the year:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18510694/seattle-seahawks-lose-2nd-round-pick-failing-disclose-richard-sherman-knee-injury

And they've already lost their 5th round pick in this year's draft before the 2016 season started (offseason workout violations). I'm betting they trade away Jimmy Graham to try and recoup a couple of their lost picks. They don't use him right anyway, he's in the last year of his deal and I doubt they'll want to pony up the money he'll want to stay.