DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Okay, so I worked way too hard on this today while on deadline for something that I am actually getting paid for, but I thought it was important to tell all of you that I have figured out the best hires for each coaching vacancy...

Rams: Yeah, Sean Payton. I have no idea what they would have to give up to get him, but do it. He's the best fit for a would-be telegenic football club.

Jags: move Def Coordinator Todd Wash up to the big job. The Jags actually had a really good defense this year, and maybe Wash could turn that into a defining trait for the team longterm.

Bills: hire away DC Steve Spagnuolo from the Giants. Fans in the area would be familiar with him, he has produced miracles with this Giants team, and since Tyrod Taylor is getting all of the Bills' money next season they can save on moving costs for the new coach.

Broncos: hire away OC Bill Musgrave from the Raiders. He has helped make Carr look like a world-beater, and helped Del Rio look like a competent coach. Also, he seems like the type of dude that Elway could handle working with.

Chargers: hire away DC Kris Richard from the Seahawks. Honestly, Richard is probably better off staying with the 'hawks and waiting for a better job opening to come along, but sadly black coaches don't really have that luxury in the NFL. Richard has proven his bonafides, and he's due a head coaching job. Maybe his defensive prowess would be enough to help the Chargers make a couple of close games fall their way for once.

Niners: honestly? The club is such a shit show, I can't see a "real" coaching talent signing up to head a team that is terrible at all parts of football. My solution is to give RB coach Tom Rathman the ball. He's respected, he knows the team, and RB was the only spot that wasn't completely disastrous this year. Worse case scenario, the job comes open again after you've drafted some new blood onto the roster.

I definitely think there is an argument to be made there, but I always feel better about a coach that is fired at the completion of a season rather than within the season, like the office still has faith in him to turn it around until the very end. Also, of his three years of head coaching experience, he *did* have a 7-9 record there in the middle, which while not great at least nods toward not being a complete failure...

26 minutes ago, Isaacduke said:

I definitely think there is an argument to be made there, but I always feel better about a coach that is fired at the completion of a season rather than within the season, like the office still has faith in him to turn it around until the very end. Also, of his three years of head coaching experience, he *did* have a 7-9 record there in the middle, which while not great at least nods toward not being a complete failure...

That is the sort of logic that got Jeff Fisher like 15 extra years

• Like 1

Browns have apparently fired DC Ray Horton but haven't actually let him go yet.

They have offered Gregg Williams the job and told him he has to Monday to accept

Jason La Canfora and Ian Rapoport are both reporting that the Texans are seriously considering firing Bill O'Brien.

A loss today seems like he is gone and even a win doesn't assure safety

Rapoport specifically notes that several teams are waiting to see how it shakes out before making a decision on their HC

http://www.profootballrumors.com/2017/01/texans-bill-obrien-could-part-after-season

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Jason La Canfora and Ian Rapoport are both reporting that the Texans are seriously considering firing Bill O'Brien.

A loss today seems like he is gone and even a win doesn't assure safety

Rapoport specifically notes that several teams are waiting to see how it shakes out before making a decision on their HC

http://www.profootballrumors.com/2017/01/texans-bill-obrien-could-part-after-season

Who decided to sign Osweiler without ever meeting him?  If it was O'Brien, he should get fired, if it wasn't I can't see why firing him makes any sense at all.  That team isn't good, but they are just about as good as they can possibly be with that quarterback situation.  It could be argued that he's maximized the team's potential, unless he's the one who decided to sign the worse quarterback in the league.

Speaking of...I was talking to my friend at the gym the other day, he's a 49ers fan and I'm a Browns fan, and we were discussing how much our teams sucked.  We both came to the conclusion that our team's would probably be better off if we kept our quarterbacks than to try to sign anyone not named Tony Romo.  You know how bad the level of quarterbacking is in the league when you would be mad if your team replaced Kaepernick or RGIII?  Seriously we were thinking about who else may be available and thought, "I'd rather they keep who they have rather than getting Bortles, FItzpatrick, or someone like that." 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2017 at 0:49 AM, Isaacduke said:

Okay, so I worked way too hard on this today while on deadline for something that I am actually getting paid for, but I thought it was important to tell all of you that I have figured out the best hires for each coaching vacancy...

Rams: Yeah, Sean Payton. I have no idea what they would have to give up to get him, but do it. He's the best fit for a would-be telegenic football club.

Jags: move Def Coordinator Todd Wash up to the big job. The Jags actually had a really good defense this year, and maybe Wash could turn that into a defining trait for the team longterm.

Bills: hire away DC Steve Spagnuolo from the Giants. Fans in the area would be familiar with him, he has produced miracles with this Giants team, and since Tyrod Taylor is getting all of the Bills' money next season they can save on moving costs for the new coach.

Broncos: hire away OC Bill Musgrave from the Raiders. He has helped make Carr look like a world-beater, and helped Del Rio look like a competent coach. Also, he seems like the type of dude that Elway could handle working with.

Chargers: hire away DC Kris Richard from the Seahawks. Honestly, Richard is probably better off staying with the 'hawks and waiting for a better job opening to come along, but sadly black coaches don't really have that luxury in the NFL. Richard has proven his bonafides, and he's due a head coaching job. Maybe his defensive prowess would be enough to help the Chargers make a couple of close games fall their way for once.

Niners: honestly? The club is such a shit show, I can't see a "real" coaching talent signing up to head a team that is terrible at all parts of football. My solution is to give RB coach Tom Rathman the ball. He's respected, he knows the team, and RB was the only spot that wasn't completely disastrous this year. Worse case scenario, the job comes open again after you've drafted some new blood onto the roster.

NO.

• Like 1

Per La Canfora - Gregg Williams has indeed taken the Browns DC job and that means wholesale changes are coming to the defense (since he is changing the scheme)