DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I should've known when Michael was obsessed with Friends.

Seriously, tremendous show and a finale that works either to wrap up the show or to give a great hook to season 2.

And incredibly ballsy for a network sitcom to do something like this.

• Like 2

Has anyone been watching The Great Indoors? It's pretty funny, it's got Joel McHale as the lead, and among others, Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Stephen Fry as supporting characters (but still part of the main crew). I think I'm in love with Susannah Fielding and Christine Ko. Pretty funny show about how different two generations can really be.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2017 at 8:55 PM, EVA said:

I highly recommend Amazon's SNEAKY PETE.  Back in the day (like two whole years ago!) JUSTIFIED had a strong following on this board, and if you were one of those people, you should definitely get in on this show, because it's basically the whole Justified writing/directing team behind it (after the 1st episode).

I binged it on Saturday, and loved it.  Cranston's monologue about his days as a cop was fucking masterful.  They've already renewed it for a second season, and I can't wait.  I love that they left so many loose threads without leaving you feeling like the story wasn't told.  The next season could go in so many different directions, that I really want to see where they choose to go.  

Finished binge watching Gilmore Girls with the lady last night.  As much as I scoffed at the show a lot as we were watching it, it sure got dusty in here for the last couple episodes.  The whole karaoke "I Will Always Love You" scene had me a blubbering mess.  Stupid show and all its feels.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I binged it on Saturday, and loved it.  Cranston's monologue about his days as a cop was fucking masterful.  They've already renewed it for a second season, and I can't wait.  I love that they left so many loose threads without leaving you feeling like the story wasn't told.  The next season could go in so many different directions, that I really want to see where they choose to go.  

Speaking of dangling threads, maybe you can help me figure out if I'm crazy or not re: Lance.

It might just be because Jacob Pitt has always been a very likeable actor, but something about him being the guy behind the Victoria con doesn't sit right with me.  Yes, he's a greasy lawyer for some very bad people, but otherwise he seemed like a solid dude who genuinely cared about being part of that family.  There's no motive for him to ruin them just so he can buy a boat.

However, late in the season, there's a scene where Taylor's lady friend tells him that if they're patient, she can get her hands on enough money to set them up for life.  Where's she getting it?  Her husband...the rival bail bondsman who's been trying to put the Murphy's out of business from the start.  I think he's the guy behind Victoria, and that's the money she's talking about.  He worked Lance to get to Audrey in order bleed them into bankruptcy.

That's my theory anyway.

4 minutes ago, EVA said:

Speaking of dangling threads, maybe you can help me figure out if I'm crazy or not re: Lance.

Hide contents

It might just be because Jacob Pitt has always been a very likeable actor, but something about him being the guy behind the Victoria con doesn't sit right with me.  Yes, he's a greasy lawyer for some very bad people, but otherwise he seemed like a solid dude who genuinely cared about being part of that family.  There's no motive for him to ruin them just so he can buy a boat.

However, late in the season, there's a scene where Taylor's lady friend tells him that if they're patient, she can get her hands on enough money to set them up for life.  Where's she getting it?  Her husband...the rival bail bondsman who's been trying to put the Murphy's out of business from the start.  I think he's the guy behind Victoria, and that's the money she's talking about.  He worked Lance to get to Audrey in order bleed them into bankruptcy.

That's my theory anyway.

Spoiler

I 100% agree with Lance not having a motive to screw over the family.  From everything shown on screen, he legitimately loves Julia and is remorseful about cheating on her.  He was too easily taken advantage of by Marius to be a professional, but he was savvy enough to go get a Geiger counter to investigate their bullshit.  

The best thing about this show was the casting.  Ben Vereen was great as the elder conman.  I need more Malcolm Jamal Warner next season, he was perfect as the tough but fair parole officer.  The young black girl learning the ropes was great in her small part.  I'm pretty sure there are better actors than Margo Martindale and Peter Gerety, but I don't know if there are two actors better for their particular roles in this show.  They were likable enough that we rooted for them, but unlikable enough that we understood why their family was in such a shitty state.  The only real issue I had with the show is that Sean, the evil bail bondsman, was too much of a cartoon character.  Almost every other character was three dimensional, except for him.

On 1/22/2017 at 3:47 AM, Brian Fowler said:

I should've known when Michael was obsessed with Friends.

Seriously, tremendous show and a finale that works either to wrap up the show or to give a great hook to season 2.

And incredibly ballsy for a network sitcom to do something like this.

Evil Ted Danson is awesome. 

14 hours ago, AxB said:

He was a heelish guy in Damages, wasn't he?

Yeah, his character, Arthur Frobisher, was mostly scummy and unlikable.

Damages may be the closest Danson has come to playing a heel.  He's has a few small tv and movie roles where he played some sort of criminal or shady character, but he was usually a sympathetic character in those roles (played a con man in A Fine Mess and an ex-con in Getting Even with Dad, but those were both comedies and required Danson to play the role as a good guy).  His character in Creepshow slept with another guy's wife, but the husband turned around and murdered Danson's character by burying him up to his neck at the beach, and waiting for the tide to roll in and drown Danson.

22 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

What the fuck is The Young Pope about?

What it says.  A 40-something cardinal becomes pope and gets caught up in political intrigue at the Vatican.  A large part of the issue is that the new pope is extremely conservative and makes a lot of enemies.