DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Season 4 of Sherlock is pretty awesome so far.  I really liked The Lying Detective but the big reveal at the end was a bit campy.

Any campier and the end credits would've featured folks singing Kumbaya and fixing s'mores.

They were going for The Usual Suspects and they got Soap Opera Digest.

Spoiler

But at least they recognize the importance of birthday cake.

So, the Goldbergs has been pretty good this year, but I can't figure out why the two characters in a relationship on the show, Barry and Lainey, are hardly ever onscreen together anymore. I wonder if there's beef between the actors or...

13 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I didnt realize people still watched it. 

The episodes this season definitely display the best and worst qualities of Moffat-yness.

The writing has somehow become tremendously better while the plots have gone totally bonkers. 

I love how they're handling the evolving relationship between John and Sherlock and the dialogue for all characters is well crafted, but the new antagonists and their sinister plots are so implausible as to venture into comic book land. 

There's no telling how many times I've scrolled past SNEAKY PETE while perusing Amazon Prime, but it wasn't until reading Sepinwall's review today that I found out it was created by (and co-starring!) BRYAN CRANSTON and being written by Graham Yost and lot of the guys from the JUSTIFIED writers room.

Got damn, get your promotional game together, Amazon.

Anyway, I'm suddenly really excited for that first season to drop tomorrow.  I know what I'll be watching over my 3-day weekend.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Snatch

The concept of Crackle having its own TV shows is still foreign to me

Internet pioneer Zombo.com announces it's move into original programming. "We really felt the need to keep the integrity of our mission. It was just the logical next step" says CEO Ron Zombo about upcoming original series described as a dark and gritty version of the beloved 1997 Leslie Nielson film MR. MAGOO.  "People have been waiting for this for a long time," he went on, "We just needed the right face to go along with Executive Producer Zach Snyder's vision.  And when Tom Hardy had that free weekend and so much enthusiasm for having some more money, it was obvious that this was the time."

So.  I read the latest Entertainment Weekly while waiting on the doctor to tell me what was up with my bae and the early review of the pilot episode of Riverdale says that the show is pretty good.  I may have to trick my daughter into watching it and getting her opinion first.

I am DVRing tonight's episode of Sherlock (The Final Problem) thanks to Football and MMA.

On 1/8/2017 at 5:10 PM, odessasteps said:

Happy 94th birthday, larry storch. 

A clip only Piranesi could love

storch, fred gwynn, al lewis and joe e ross

MV5BMTQyNzU5MTk2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTY0

Did somebody say Larry Storch?!?!?!!?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

So.  I read the latest Entertainment Weekly while waiting on the doctor to tell me what was up with my bae and the early review of the pilot episode of Riverdale says that the show is pretty good.  

I refuse to believe this.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am DVRing tonight's episode of Sherlock (The Final Problem) thanks to Football and MMA.

You set that by title or specific hour? I ask because on some PBS channels it's on early, and some it's on later, because of the new Victoria show they're debuting tonight.

On 15/01/2017 at 1:02 AM, HumanChessgame said:

Has anyone seen the new show Tom Hardy is in, Taboo?  The previews look potentially interesting yet incredibly vague as to what the show is actually about.

Yes, I've seen the first two episodes. It's a story about a mad old man who dies, and then at his funeral, his son who's been missing presumed dead for 10 years shows up to claim his inheritance... even though everyone tells him it has no value and he should just sell it to the East India Trading Company right away. Everyone has dark secrets and nobody is nice.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zev said:

You set that by title or specific hour? I ask because on some PBS channels it's on early, and some it's on later, because of the new Victoria show they're debuting tonight.

By title with a 30 minute extension because there is a mini-documentary on the making of The Lying Detective before The Final Problem airs.

That Sherlock season finale and this entire season has been the most Moffat-y / Gattis-y one yet. 

Sooooo much to love about this episode and sooooo much to hate about The Final Problem...

Spoiler

The Moffat-y / Gattis-y beginning of The Six Thatchers was pretty hilarious, but the haunting of Mycroft was downright dumb.

I know that Holmes is a self-described fully functioning psychopath and a man-child that knows how to fool people into believing he's a rational and mature adult, but what is so wrong about simply going to Mycroft and letting him know what the fuck is going on? 

The complete sonning of Mycroft at 221B by Holmes and Watson was off the chain and it is how this episode should've started.  That shit was fucking great! 

(Mycroft:  This is about FAMILY! / Sherlock:  AND THAT IS WHY HE (Watson) STAYS! = DIALOGUE IS NUMBER ONE AND THE BEST!)

The problem with this episode and previous one is that both are really uneven.  The flashes of brilliance are astounding and cause your mind to race back to the greatness of Season One, but those moments are a stark contrast to the ultra campy what the fuck am I watching? parts that remind you that this show ain't what it used to be.

Euros started off with a bang but ended with a whimper.  Her subtle takeover of prison / asylum deal was sweet as was the reveal that her cell was OPEN THE ENTIRE TIME.  (Be naughty, Come closer and touch the glass = SUCH A GREAT LINE!!!.)

Her social experiments were a bit Dark Knight Joker-eqsue, but Cumberbatch, Louise Brealey (Their "I Love You" version of the Trolley Problem was heartbreaking...), Gatiss, and Freeman turning up the pathos made things watchable up to a point.

This comparably lame plot did not deserve that level of king sized acting, nor did it deserve such fucking awesome dialogue.

To keep up the Batman references, the final quandary was straight out of a 70's Batman Deathtrap Cliffhanger and not in a good way. 

The segment started to get promising when you discovered to your absolute horror that Euros (at the tender age of FIVE~!) had murdered Sherlock's childhood friend in cold blood (and to add insult to injury, challenged her brother to save him by singing a song that contained a hidden cypher that told of the boy's location) but the whole premise of Euros as a little girl lost and seeking the love of her big brother fell a bit flat on me. 

I expected a lot more payoff and far deeper motive for that level of preparation and mental anguish.  Euros's sin of jealousy was a motive that did not fit the crime.

I wasn't quite as bummed as most Sherlock fans at the reduction of Jim Moriarty to comic relief because I have never really been fond of Moffat and Gatiss's interpretation of The Napoleon of Crime.

Sherlock and Watson slow motion sprinting out of 221B at the end of the episode like Clooney and Chris O'Donnell at the end of Batman & Robin was the last bit of silliness that I could tolerate.  The sound I heard in the distance sounded vaguely like a motorcycle preparing to jump a swimming pool full of sharks.  Or maybe it was a dry hole that used to be full of grand ideas but is now sucking air?

This season finale really felt like a series finale of the "please make it stop" variety.  I kinda hope that there is one more season that will wash away the mildly bitter taste of the previous three episodes, but it may be time to bid a final adieu to this incarnation of the world's greatest literary detective.

BTW, I stopped watching Elementary ages ago.

• Like 1