DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

was channel-surfing this afternoon and happened on Gabrielle Union's Being Mary Jane.  Not even sure what channel I was watching.  Did a legit spit-take when Gary Dourdan showed up.  Holy shit.  I had no idea he had gotten any work post-CSI and his legal problems/apparent drug addiction.

Wikipedia shows he has a few credits after CSI, but it looks like Mary Jane is his most substantial gig (10 eps) since his personal problems.  Wonder who he knows to have gotten that gig.

57 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Good news: the Golden Globes are on tonight. Bad news: Jimmy Fallon, the most annoying person on television, if not the world is hosting. . . .

There has to be someone more annoying. Somehow.

Umm, well there's...the other talk show hosts named James or Jimmy?

America's Next Top Model was the last multi-season show they cancelled, but Containment didn't get picked up after its first short season either.

On another note, Terra got me started watching Lie To Me and now I'm halfway through and wishing like hell it'd gotten more than 1 full season and 2 halfs.

1 hour ago, zev said:

There has to be someone more annoying. Somehow.

Umm, well there's...the other talk show hosts named James or Jimmy?

Jim Parsons, I guess, but I actually don't mind Jimmy Kimmel. I don't watch late night at all, but Kimmel is servicable when hosting. . .

• Like 1

Did the Golden Globes just blow off everyone who died in 2016 except for Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds?

I imagine that's not going to go over well, since awards shows usually get a ton of shit for forgetting one person.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Happy 94th birthday, larry storch. 

A clip only Piranesi could love

storch, fred gwynn, al lewis and joe e ross

Every time I see Joe E. Ross I feel like I'm on the precipice of a very sleazy world...and I want to look deeper...but I also don't.  So I just freeze there.

• Like 1

Put me in the "fuck you" camp to awards shows if we don't even have time now to honor the dead.  To me, it's one of the main reasons I watch movies or t.v. or listen to old recordings at times is to commemorate the people in them.  It reminds me of my favorite line from one of my favorite movies TOUS LES MATINS DU MONDE when the teacher finally gets the student to understand why they play music.  Not for money or glory or love...but

"One must leave a drink for the dead.  Refreshment for those who have run out of words… To muffle the hammering of shoemakers...for lost childhood… the time before we were born… before we breathed… or saw light."

There is something inherently elegiac about film and recorded sound, even photography and for some reason I'm kind of stuck on it lately. 

Ugh.  I usually love award shows, and I'm not sure why but right at this moment in time in the world I'm just not in the mood for the pompous hot air of the beautiful celebrating the beautiful.  Tell me about your' struggle, Emma Stone! Like, today I saw a picture of Felicity Jones as Jyn Erso and all I could think of is "If that character lived through this movie she'd be 60 in The Force Awakens." and then starting to wonder if I'll be around when someone is mourning the death of Felicity Jones and if anyone then will remember Carrie Fisher.

Fuck I need some ice cream or something.

8 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Did the Golden Globes just blow off everyone who died in 2016 except for Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds?

I imagine that's not going to go over well, since awards shows usually get a ton of shit for forgetting one person.

... or Meryl Streep will say some words and everyone will forget about everything else on the show

16 hours ago, J.H. said:

Man In The High Castle is also on Amazon Prime

James

Man in the High Castle is ONLY on Amazon Prime

Don't listen to JT's old man ramblings

19 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Apparently, Frequency and No Tomorrow didn't get their back halves picked up, the first two shows to suffer that fate on CW since 2012!

Anyone actually watch either of these.  Are they worth catching up on?

I meant to watch both show and just never got around to it.

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Man in the High Castle is ONLY on Amazon Prime

Don't listen to JT's old man ramblings

I am senile and hate Amazon Prime for making me chose between it and Netflix.

Season 4 of Sherlock is pretty awesome so far.  I really liked The Lying Detective but the big reveal at the end was a bit campy.

Spoiler

Sherlock has a psychotic sister???

2 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Anyone actually watch either of these.  Are they worth catching up on?

I meant to watch both show and just never got around to it.

I watched Frequency because I thought the movie had an interesting premise.  The show isn't bad but it's not something I'd go out of the way to see.  I'm in "stick with it just to see how it ends" mode.