DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Yo, I just finished the New Edition miniseries, and that shit is about twice as good as I expected.  The casting is pretty much perfect, other than Ricky Bell looking like Sammy Davis Jr. everybody else was spot on.  It wasn't perfect, but it is right in line with the Jacksons and Temptations miniseries as far as quality and watchability go.

The best part of the entire show was the origin of the gumby fade.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Yo, I just finished the New Edition miniseries, and that shit is about twice as good as I expected.  The casting is pretty much perfect, other than Ricky Bell looking like Sammy Davis Jr. everybody else was spot on.  It wasn't perfect, but it is right in line with the Jacksons and Temptations miniseries as far as quality and watchability go.

The best part of the entire show was the origin of the gumby fade.

Ok...now I have to watch.

Although with the Temptations miniseries, you can tell that it was written to make Otis seem like the most level headed dude in the world and Blue & David's deaths are like super fictitious. We did get Leon overacting and becoming a black film legend so there is that ("My name is David Ruffin...*casually waves behind him* and these are the Temptations" is the most baller ass line I ever heard at that time when I first saw it).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MADCAP said:

J.T. I owe you a big apology in defending Ralph Treavant. I listened to BBD on The Breakfast Club, and it sounds like Ralph is still a little sensitive. 

I told you, man.  From what I've heard and read, nearly everything that went wrong with NE was due in part to Ralph's ego, but there was no way that Ralph was going to buy into the miniseries if he didn't get to write his own history.

I am obviously no fan of Ralph Tresvant and my criticism of him comes with a double standard and musical bias against R&B in favor of Hip Hop...

My answer to, "But, JT.  Dr. Dre pretty much did the same thing in Straight Outta Compton when Michel'le and Dee Barnes were conveniently left out of the story!" is "Er.. um... but that's different..... FUCK YOU, MAN~!"

Peep the BC interview. Turns out, when they were interviewing the NE members, no one knew what the others POV was about their history, and apparently there are hurt feelings again. 

As an aside, I was surprised that girls loved Ronnie almost as much as Ralph, then I forgot light-skinned dudes were IT back in the day(Prince, Al B. Sure). I thought he was gangly with a crazy Jheri curl, but did know he dressed sharp as hell. 

• Like 1

I don't know, Ralph was probably working twice as hard as anyone else in the group, I'd see why he had a bit of ego.  Seriously, Ronnie and Mike wouldn't be able to tell me shit if I was Ralph Tresvant.  

The thing that the show made me realize the most is that Bobby Brown has now become vastly underrated.  When it comes to raw talent, he isn't anything special, but that dude had crazy star power.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I don't know, Ralph was probably working twice as hard as anyone else in the group, I'd see why he had a bit of ego.  Seriously, Ronnie and Mike wouldn't be able to tell me shit if I was Ralph Tresvant.  

That was my initial thoughts too until I heard the BC interview. I still think Ralph was justified in his thinking to a point but apparently never grew up.

14 hours ago, MADCAP said:

That was my initial thoughts too until I heard the BC interview. I still think Ralph was justified in his thinking to a point but apparently never grew up.

You have hit the nail on the head, my man.  Bobby's biggest strength was that he knew that their music had to evolve in order to last, while Ralph was perfectly happy singing about adolescent love and that can only get you so far.

It's no surprise how BBD's catalogue is full of songs that are NOTHING LIKE MR TELEPHONE MAN.  You would've never have heard a song like Poison on a NE album, even if they were old enough to get away with something like that.

The divergence in direction is what tore them apart, but a lot of that resentment really comes from Ralph's honest belief that he carried the group on his back.

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic