DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

So, I guess this isn't going to make any sense. How the fuck extreme conservatism would be a problem in the Vatican is beyond me.

Catholics are only conservative on abortion and gay marriage. They are pretty liberal on a lot of issues like the death penalty and welfare. 

2 hours ago, MADCAP said:

Is anyone else watching the New Edition mini-series on BET? It's been better than I thought it was gonna be although, I do go into things I'm highly anticipating with a lowered expectation. 

I am DVRing it to binge watch once I am off of night shift.  Your report of its unexpected quality is encouraging!

So, am I going to boo every time Ralph Tresvant shows up or are they softening the heel angle?

3 hours ago, Victator said:

That sounds like the sequel to the best religious martial arts movie.

Except for all those kung fu films that, though not fully having religious subtexts, are set around Buddhism. The ones that do fully have religious subtexts, other people here can rep

Don't mean to be totally humorless because I would totally watch Vatican II: The Deputy Pope. There are a ton of taglines you could make up for that. It also reminds me of this: 

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am DVRing it to binge watch once I am off of night shift.  Your report of its unexpected quality is encouraging!

So, am I going to boo every time Ralph Tresvant shows up or are they softening the heel angle?

Bobby is the only one who comes off as a heel, but even he is a sympathetic figure in the beginning. Their management are the big heels in all of this. NE got jerked pretty bad. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MADCAP said:

Bobby is the only one who comes off as a heel, but even he is a sympathetic figure in the beginning. Their management are the big heels in all of this. NE got jerked pretty bad. 

They had bullshit management, but it really amazes me that this miniseries is painting Bobby as the bad guy when all he really wanted was to not be treated like a glorified back-up singer.

I've always heard that Ralph was the real problem cog in the machine, but I guess he wouldn't have signed off on this bio-series if it made him look like too much of a dickbag.

On 20/01/2017 at 5:21 PM, Kuetsar said:

They write themselves into corners and can't get out of them, basically. . . 

I think the real problem with Sherlock was they got way too smug after season 2.

All this "best TV show ever!" and "Benedict Cumberbatch is a big star!" talk clearly got to Moffat and Gatiss. They never got over it. Then the show was a parody of itself and mostly everyone patting themselves on the back. All the winks, all the jokes, etc.

It's funny: The Wire, Breaking Bad and The Sopranos...they didn't get worse as they went along, despite all the awards, acclaim and praise. You could even argue Breaking Bad's last season was the best one. And by that point, Vince Gillian knew he had created an astonishing success. But he never lost sight of the story.

The lesson here is: No showrunner should get wrapped up in the hype.

• Like 2

Also: Eurus went from being incredibly smart to being, well, a psychic super wizard with Jedi mind control powers.

And while this show was never meant to be realistic, it still existed in the realm of what was humanly possible.

"She predicted the exact time and dates of three major terrorist attacks after just five minutes on Twitter."

I rolled my eyes at that one.  

Discovery Channel announced today that Mark Duplass (Togetherness, Blue Jay), Jeremy Bobb (The Knick, Godless), Lynn Collins (X-Men Origins: Wolverine), Katja Herbers (Manhattan, The Leftovers), and Brían F. O’Byrne (Mildred Pierce, Aquarius) have been cast in its upcoming scripted Unabomber series Manifesto, set to air this year.

Produced by John Goldwyn, serving as consultant to Discovery, Lionsgate, Trigger Street Productions and Discovery Channel, the series will tell the story of how FBI agent Jim “Fitz” Fitzgerald (Sam Worthington, Avatar, Hacksaw Ridge) deployed a radical approach to intelligence gathering to take down Ted Kaczynski, portrayed by Paul Bettany (Gangster No. 1, Captain America: Civil War), also known as the “Unabomber,” one of the most infamous criminal masterminds in the world. Emmy Award-winning television producer and director Greg Yaitanes (Quarry, Banshee) will executive produce, direct and serve as showrunner. Andrew Sodroski, whose Holland, Michigan topped Hollywood’s famed Black List for screenplays in 2013, created the series and serves as an Executive Producer. Jim Fitzgerald will serve as Consulting Producer.

Mark Duplass has been cast as David Kaczynski, Ted Kaczynski’s younger brother. He is joined by Jeremy Bobb as Stan Cole, a seasoned FBI agent and Ackerman’s “foul-mouthed pit bull”; Lynn Collins playing Natalie, a post-doc in linguistics at Stanford; Katja Herbers as Linda, David Kaczinski’s wife; and Brian F. O’Byrne as Frank McAlpine, the FBI’s master profiler and Fitzgerald’s professor who leads the Behavioral Analysis Unit.

Discovery also recently announced Golden Globe and two-time Emmy winner Jane Lynch (Glee, Hollywood Game Night) will play the role of former U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno. Other cast includes Golden Globe nominee Chris Noth (The Good Wife, Sex in the City) who plays Don Ackerman, the Bay Area Divisional Head of the FBI, who supervised the Unabomber Task Force; and Oscar nominee Keisha Castle-Hughes (Roadies, Game of Thrones) as Tabby, a street agent who partners with Fitz. This series features both Bettany and Worthington’s first major leading roles on U.S. television.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

They had bullshit management, but it really amazes me that this miniseries is painting Bobby as the bad guy when all he really wanted was to not be treated like a glorified back-up singer.

I've always heard that Ralph was the real problem cog in the machine, but I guess he wouldn't have signed off on this bio-series if it made him look like too much of a dickbag.

Without giving away too much, it's not that Bobby is painted as a heel, Bobby is just...Bobbying. And Ralph is portrayed more sympathetic in that while he had to do most of the work, he was loyal to NE when the record companies were trying to get him to become a solo act.

On 1/25/2017 at 1:49 PM, Curt McGirt said:

So, I guess this isn't going to make any sense. How the fuck extreme conservatism would be a problem in the Vatican is beyond me.

Well, in the show, the previous pope was fairly progressive and was apparently pursuing a more liberal agenda than... well, any real pope.

After being elected pope, Jude Law's character addresses Catholics for the first time and demands they devote themselves to god, body and soul.  Basically, Law's character is an uncompromising zealot.  His views on spirituality - and life, in general - were formed by being dumped at a catholic orphanage by his hedonistic parents.  He's conservative and uncompromising to a degree most cardinals in the Vatican can't tolerate - much less the average American catholic.

6 minutes ago, peterien said:

The Club episode of Atlanta is some of the funniest stuff ive seen in a while*.

*(I know im late on the Atlanta train)

Well, you got time because season 2 is next year due to Donald Glover's schedule.

16 hours ago, Reed said:

Also: Eurus went from being incredibly smart to being, well, a psychic super wizard with Jedi mind control powers.

And while this show was never meant to be realistic, it still existed in the realm of what was humanly possible.

"She predicted the exact time and dates of three major terrorist attacks after just five minutes on Twitter."

I rolled my eyes at that one.  

I had enough Sherlock indoctrination and suspension of disbelief to stomach the Twitter prediction bit since we've seen how fast Sherlock digests raw data and Euros is supposed to be quantum leaps beyond him in mental processing ability.

It is also nice that social media bundles your metadata up nicely for you so you don't have to go looking for it.

I rolled my eyes with at the Jedi Mind Tricks part.  The "when is a prison not a prison?" bit was very clever, but the premise being that Euros has a mental domination super power was too much.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MADCAP said:

Without giving away too much, it's not that Bobby is painted as a heel, Bobby is just...Bobbying. And Ralph is portrayed more sympathetic in that while he had to do most of the work, he was loyal to NE when the record companies were trying to get him to become a solo act.

Yeah, I don't believe the Ralph Tresvant thing for a minute, but victors get to write history, I guess.

I am pulling night duty in support of PACOM training ops (I'm actually allowed to say that) for three weeks and I am not allowed to watch the NE mini-series on my own because my beloved significant other will brain me with a rolling pin.

It has been so designated as together time television.

We will end up bing watching this along with all of the Shonda Rimes Thursdays on ABC stuff and the new season of Suits when I am done with this grind.

• Like 1

Just saw the ratings for the New Edition miniseries...goddamn I knew New Edition was popular but I didn't know they were that popular. I thought this miniseries was just a fascination for nostalgic folks on Black Twitter (including myself but I haven't seen it yet) like those awful Lifetime movies like Surviving Compton (basically fabricating every detail possible including the stuff about Dre) and the Aaliyah...um.."biopic" w/ the girl who played young Storm in the last X-Men movie. Apparently, this is not the case.